What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Snyder has made enough good to great movies to make up for Sucker Punch. 300, Dawn of the Dead, and Watchmen. How can this be compared to Michael Bay is beyond me who has yet to make one great movie. The first Transformers was okay, but other than that Bay hasn't done shit but produce shit since then.

Dawn Of The Dead was utter shit, and 300 was only good when you first watch it, it's aged so badly it's ridiculous. Terrible terrible directing, so much that if you didn't read the comic you'd have absolutely no idea what was going on.

Watchmen was godlike, though.

And how fucking dare you. I hate Michael Bay more than anyone else, but Armageddon was amazing. I won't hear a bad thing against it.

Wanted to express my total "WTF" of all the 300 bashing, but this particularly made me say "WTF?". Am I thinking of a different movie? Who would have a hard time understanding 300? I mean, okay, maybe the guy with blades for arms took a stretch of imagination, but other than that it's pretty damn straight forward. Just because 300 didn't retain it's grand hype as the greatest male action movie of all time, I don't think it's necessarily aged poorly. Everyone I've ever known ever loved 300 when it came out. Is it just cool to hate on it now or something?

Nah, people have just read the graphic novel now, realized just how much that was overdone as a graphic novel, went back to the film, realized how closely the film followed the graphic novel, and are now basing their opinion of the film on their opinion of the graphic novel. Or at least that's how I stopped liking the film. Then again, I'm bigger on comics and graphic novels than I am on film sometimes, so that's just me.

Snyder has made enough good to great movies to make up for Sucker Punch. 300, Dawn of the Dead, and Watchmen. How can this be compared to Michael Bay is beyond me who has yet to make one great movie. The first Transformers was okay, but other than that Bay hasn't done shit but produce shit since then.

Dawn Of The Dead was utter shit, and 300 was only good when you first watch it, it's aged so badly it's ridiculous. Terrible terrible directing, so much that if you didn't read the comic you'd have absolutely no idea what was going on.

And how fucking dare you. I hate Michael Bay more than anyone else, but Armageddon was amazing. I won't hear a bad thing against it.

Wanted to express my total "WTF" of all the 300 bashing, but this particularly made me say "WTF?". Am I thinking of a different movie? Who would have a hard time understanding 300? I mean, okay, maybe the guy with blades for arms took a stretch of imagination, but other than that it's pretty damn straight forward. Just because 300 didn't retain it's grand hype as the greatest male action movie of all time, I don't think it's necessarily aged poorly. Everyone I've ever known ever loved 300 when it came out. Is it just cool to hate on it now or something?

To me, 300's appeal matches that of Snakes On A Plane. It's a glorified B-Movie remembered for about two lines/subsequent Internet memes. Some people like it, some don't. I'm in the latter camp although I'd say it's Snyder's best film.

Dawn of the Dead is too well lit and clinically shot to be scary, the characters and consumerist theme are shallow, and the zombies run.

I didn't bother with the owls.

Watchmen is where my dislike of Snyder really kicked in. It's totally pretentious, the amount of slow motion is ridiculous, and they took out the best part of the graphic novel (the squid!) because they needed the run time to show more boring slow motion shots and spew more cod-philosophy.

At least with Michael Bay, his output until Pearl Harbor was somewhat enjoyable because his bombastic style was fresh at the time. Armageddon hasn't aged well at all, mind you.

I couldn't compare 300 and Snakes on a Plane if I wanted to, so I don't see that. I loved 300 - I haven't seen it in a while - but it was fantastic. As stated though - I LOVE Suckerpunch. I think it's absolutely fantastic escapism.

You nailed Dawn of the Dead though. It's too polished to be scary, but it was alright. No worse than the Resident Evil films - but that doesn't say much.

AND YES. Watchmen. I watched it. It was.. okay. It should be better than okay. It got boring, which is a damn shame.

Armageddon will always be amazing. :@

• Like 1

Sucker Punch is laughably bad. That was the only thing that kept me watching it till the end. To see if it could outdo itself in how horrible it was. And it always did. So I'll give Snyder that; he is really good at outdoing himself in how horrible he is.

The only good thing about Sucker Punch was that Devin Townsend stole that stupid stupid stupid bad bad bad horrible horrible horrible terrible terrible terrible worthless bad shitty train scene and copied it into the music video for "Juular".

Never read the comics, still love 300 now. And I know exactly what is going on. So your point is flawed :P.

• Like 1

I'm surprised I don't have diabetes from watching Watchmen. 300 is the same sort of over-produced tripe. I never liked 300, but I did enjoy it when I saw it in theaters because everybody was drunk and yelling, which made the whole experience good.

I haven't read either of their comics.

I saw 300 once and that was enough for me. I've seen Watchmen a couple of times, it got worse every time. I haven't read either of the comics or graphic novels, doubt that'll help my oppinion of the movies if you guys are to be trusted.

"Hey, I like this film."

"No, you're wrong. It's shit."

"No, you're wrong! It's awesome."

Repeat.

Have you ever had a conversation with people about movies / books / music / basically anything before? That's generally how it works.

• Like 3

"Hey, I like this film."

"No, you're wrong. It's shit."

"No, you're wrong! It's awesome."

Repeat.

Have you ever had a conversation with people about movies / books / music / basically anything before? That's generally how it works.

Even conversations about fact end up going this way. It's how people cope with having terrible opinions about things.