What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

It's also ruined by being all round fucking terrible, helmed by a director even worse than Michael Bay.

No and no.

Michael Bay may have god-awful sensibilities but he always makes the films he intends to make (Transformers 2 script problems aside). Zach Snyder doesn't know how to direct real people, or direct in real scenery - he tries to make visually arresting comic book films but they all look like synthetic mush. His Superman film will be a complete disaster, mark my words.

It's also ruined by being all round fucking terrible, helmed by a director even worse than Michael Bay.

No and no.

Michael Bay may have god-awful sensibilities but he always makes the films he intends to make (Transformers 2 script problems aside). Zach Snyder doesn't know how to direct real people, or direct in real scenery - he tries to make visually arresting comic book films but they all look like synthetic mush. His Superman film will be a complete disaster, mark my words.

Oh, I agree.

Spartacus seemed like you added my least favorite part of Game of Thrones, the gratuitous nudity, add in a bunch of mindless violence, and then add some more nudity for the sake of it. At least, that was my impressions of the first episode, so I never watched any more. I don't have a problem with nudity or sex or violence, it just didn't seem to have a purpose.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there, the nudity scenes are too fucking much. The violence, though, i think is brilliant. I mean, it's about gladiators, slaves trained to do nothing else but kill, so I understand the reason for the immense violence. There's still a good, ever-shaping plot to it, simple yet interesting. In each season it's been basically three different stories etched into one, not completely seamless but those holes I feel are tiny enough to be overlooked.

Of course, it's nowhere near as deep or as brilliant a plot as Game Of Thrones, but it's great fun nonetheless.

Which season was that episode from, LD?

Oh, and TKz, I wasn't saying that Spartacus is anywhere as good as Game Of Thrones, LD just used the word uncomfortable, so I wanted to ask what he meant by that, and used Game Of Thrones to say that any scenes might make someone uncomfortable are in both shows.

I understand what you guys mean, though, I wouldn't mind the boob shots and everything if I got as much quality, plotwise, like how GOT delivers.

it's fine to have opinions but please, go away.

opinion |əˈpinyən|

noun

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

For example:

In my opinion, hot rod should fuck off.

• Like 12

Snyder has made enough good to great movies to make up for Sucker Punch. 300, Dawn of the Dead, and Watchmen. How can this be compared to Michael Bay is beyond me who has yet to make one great movie. The first Transformers was okay, but other than that Bay hasn't done shit but produce shit since then.

• Like 1

To be fair, 300 and Dawn of the Dead were great for what they were. I know Dawn of the Dead gets a lot of shit for losing the values of the original in place of more action, but I'd honestly argue it makes for a more entertaining film because of it. I like Snyder for those films. Watchmen was good, but it wasn't very accessible because it stuck so closely to the comic. It's kind of a case of someone loving a film and going "Oh man, can you imagine how great it'd be if there was like a whole extra hour?". It sounds great, but doesn't really end up being great a lot of the time.

Out of those, I've seen 300, and 300 is a horrible movie.

How fucking dare you.

Anyway, I watched Pulp Fiction again today since I'm on a QT marathon having seen Kill Bill V1+2 at the weekend. Sometimes I prefer Reservoir Dogs, but I think it's because I somehow always forget how insanely awesome Travolta and Samuel L are in it together. The dialogue is excellent, but when a line like "Yes, but you are aware of an invention called television, and that on this invention they show shows, right?" makes me almost cry with laughter, it's hard to not put this at the top of my film list. Sure it's an obvious one, but it's obvious for a reason.

Taking a break from QT tonight though, gonna watch Miller's Crossing by the Coen's. Anyone that's seen it care to let me know what I'm in for? It sounds right up my street (in love with most of the Coen's work), but I'm awfully picky when watching new things.

• Like 1

Spartacus seemed like you added my least favorite part of Game of Thrones, the gratuitous nudity, add in a bunch of mindless violence, and then add some more nudity for the sake of it. At least, that was my impressions of the first episode, so I never watched any more. I don't have a problem with nudity or sex or violence, it just didn't seem to have a purpose.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there, the nudity scenes are too fucking much. The violence, though, i think is brilliant. I mean, it's about gladiators, slaves trained to do nothing else but kill, so I understand the reason for the immense violence. There's still a good, ever-shaping plot to it, simple yet interesting. In each season it's been basically three different stories etched into one, not completely seamless but those holes I feel are tiny enough to be overlooked.

Of course, it's nowhere near as deep or as brilliant a plot as Game Of Thrones, but it's great fun nonetheless.

Which season was that episode from, LD?

If I remember correctly, it was the first episode of the first season. And I think we basically agree about the show, our tastes are just different. I don't really care for action (or rather it takes a lot for me to be invested and interested in action) scenes. So, while I'm more than willing to watch the action in something like Game of Thrones because I'm invested in the plot, I won't sit through lackluster or simplistic plot just to get to the action scenes.

On that note, 300 was so boring!

This all just reminded me - Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is probably the worst title of a movie ever. Bar none. That shit is bad.

Snyder has made enough good to great movies to make up for Sucker Punch. 300, Dawn of the Dead, and Watchmen. How can this be compared to Michael Bay is beyond me who has yet to make one great movie. The first Transformers was okay, but other than that Bay hasn't done shit but produce shit since then.

Dawn Of The Dead was utter shit, and 300 was only good when you first watch it, it's aged so badly it's ridiculous. Terrible terrible directing, so much that if you didn't read the comic you'd have absolutely no idea what was going on.

Watchmen was godlike, though.

And how fucking dare you. I hate Michael Bay more than anyone else, but Armageddon was amazing. I won't hear a bad thing against it.