What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I watched Moon (with Sam Rockwell) last night.

It was excellent with a great soundtrack and it looked beautiful.

....and it was directed by David Bowie's son.

Yep. It's fantastic. And David Bowie's son went on to direct Source Code, and lost street cred cause that movie sucks so hard it makes you want to punch babies.

"Hey, I like this film."

"No, you're wrong. It's shit."

"No, you're wrong! It's awesome."

Repeat.

Have you ever had a conversation with people about movies / books / music / basically anything before? That's generally how it works.

Ususally at the start, but not three pages on where nothing has been achieved. :P

Yep. It's fantastic. And David Bowie's son went on to direct Source Code, and lost street cred cause that movie sucks so hard it makes you want to punch babies.

I like Source Code. It's deeply flawed but Duncan Jones has enough directing chops to steer it to an enjoyable Twilight Zone/Outer Limits-esque story.

Moon is amazing. I want to make love to it.

I love that film as does one of my friends. The rest of my group hate it and didn't even finish it. I told them that the ending is the whole point.

They also didn't finish Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and based their opinion of the movie on this without seeing the ending. I don't really take their opinions on movies very seriously.

Watchmen was godlike, though.

I know we're beyond this argument, but I had to giggle at this for a second. Moving on!

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

The acting was pretty atrocious and the gimmick wore thin at points, but there were a handful of moments that genuinely terrified me. Like hair on the back of your neck instantly standing up terrifying. Lake Mungo did the fake documentary horror film way better, but this fucked me up a little bit.

Cabin in the Woods:

I loved it!

A FUCKING UNICORN! BEST MOVIE EVER!

As to whether it revolutionized the genre...I don't think so. It's the sort of movie that works once, I think, and it's made its point.

I laughed to myself when I saw it on their little betting table, not really thinking about it, obviously caught off guard by the whole third act. As soon as they hit that button I couldn't wait for the unicorn to appear and it totally didn't disappoint.

Seriously, first film of 2012 I want to see again.

Hot Tub Time Machine

One of the funnier movies I've seen in awhile. Thumbs up.

Bereavement

One of the sadder horror movies I've watched in awhile.

Isolation

It's like Alien, but except on a spaceship, it's on a farm. And instead of an alien, it's a mutant cow. Really fun movie.

Scream 4

Didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Didn't really bring anything new to the table to make it amazing, but it was decent. I probably prefer it over 3. If I hadn't read the spoilers of the movie I probably would have found the big reveal to actually be a surprise (moreso because for most movies I don't try to figure stuff out beforehand and instead just focus on what's happening at the moment). Didn't care for...

Charlie being the second killer. I don't understand why he was chosen as the second killer other than to just have someone for Jill to kill. I would have preferred the boyfriend or even Kirby as the second killer.

I loved the opening, movie within a movie thing they did because it came off them knowing how a lot of people would react to Scream 4. Also loved some of the lines regarding movies/movie terms throughout, especially, "You don't fuck with the original." It didn't reinvent the series or anything, but I enjoyed it.

Edited by Vitamin E

Saw Chimpanzee. It's cute, though strangely predictable at points, in spite of it being unscripted. Maybe I just watch Animal Planet too much? Either way, I'd definitely recommend it.

Yesterday's horror movie marathon:

Wolf Creek

Meh... a decent creepy factor and I probably would've liked it more had I first saw it in 2005, but the characters were so dumb it was infuriating.

Night of the Living Dead

Classic, obviously.

The Children

Really fun and ballsy little horror movie. Children as murderous psychopaths is nothing new, but willing to show the adults fight back in an equally brutal fashion? Awesome.

Outcast

I was worried this movie would be an overreach, but I dug it. It was different, well-acted and left just enough unanswered questions to add intrigue rather than frustration.

Dream Home

One of the best Asian horror movies I've ever seen. That was phenomenal.

I saw The Human Centipede 2, just out of sheer curiosity. It had an okay first half, generally unsettling without trying way too hard and Laurence R. Harvey is really great in the role as Martin. However, as soon as the 'human centipede' concept begins materialised, everything is just thrown at the screen in an attempt to scare, shock and revolt the audience. And it quickly just gets stupid. Tom Six is trying so hard that it is almost tragicomic. Just avoid this and the series in general because it is god damn horrible.