What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Weirdly we were discussing Super 8 the other day, and the consensus seemed to be the first hour was ace then it tailed off when the monster arrived. I liked it all the way through, so whatever...

Weirdly we were discussing Super 8 the other day, and the consensus seemed to be the first hour was ace then it tailed off when the monster arrived. I liked it all the way through, so whatever...

Still need to watch Super 8, seems like what I'd be into. Then again, I liked Cloverfield and an overwhelming majority didn't like it. So maybe I just have a hard on for JJ Abrams and everything he does (except MI3).

I watched Team America again today and it's epic. I forgot how funny some of the dialogue was, and how I really enjoy the entire premise of the film. Sometimes I just don't get south park as much as I try to - I don't mean understand, I mean enjoy the humour. Things like Terrance and Philip just annoy me, and toilet humour I once loved has now become frustrating to sit through. Yet aside from the throwing up scene, which is actually done epically with the music so that it feels like a breaking point with real suspense, this film couldn't be a whole lot more perfect. Silly stock characters and plot lines are hidden by brilliant gags and insights into American foreign policy.

Oh and lulz islam. Can't help almost dying from "ahh, durka durka mohammad jihad" before the cantina parody scene.

Tyrannosaur - Fucking hell, that was a bit bleak. The performances are amazing, but Olivia Coleman stands out, how she didn't get nominated (at the very least) for a 'big' award is beyond me.

Paddy Considine's a talented chap as well.

Ides of March - Felt a bit... flat, I thought. I don't know, there's not much I could criticise (although I found it fairly predictable after Gosling's speech about why he was working for the Governor), and it's shot really well, but it felt like it was missing something.

It's like 2005 all over again! So I'm doing a 2012 movie thing. I'll post the link to the blog in my sig when I get the chance, but here's some brief ass reviews and grades. Oh god, I'm doing grades again.

Underworld: Awakening - D-

Maybe don't do a sequel if your first 20 minutes is cut from a Resident Evil film. Fuckawful, tries to shift the plot from the only vaguely interesting concept it could possibly have to its most uninteresting character, and the gore is lame as hell.

21 Jump Street - C

I wish I liked this more. The whole pisstake concept is one that I like and there was clearly a lot of thought given to how to properly satirize what it was doing, but then I realized I didn't really laugh much at all. Disappointing in that regard.

I remember watching Team America.

It was awful and I didn't really understand why people loved it.

• Like 1

Do you like South Park?

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but... you're wrong :shifty:.

I've seen it once, after the DVD release in 2005, and enjoyed it. Then again I think that's because I was 17 at the time and latched onto the really obvious jokes everyone has quoted until rendered unfunny since. I'll rewatch it sometime.

Going to batch these in at once:

Haywire - B+

Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - D-

This Means War - F

Haywire is maybe just a rung below Drive, and Drive was my favorite movie of last year. Like Drive, Haywire just gets the mood right. Could've served for less Carano dialogue and Channing Tatum speaking, but the slightly messy and wonderful action scenes more than make up for it.

The Tim and Eric thing is bold as hell, namely one sequence that goes beyond the line of even gross-out taste. It's also extremely poor as a comedy or even as a narrative device. It just doesn't work for me at all.

Yet at least that film had ambition. This Means War accomplishes the laziest filmmaking of the year, the script is complete ass, and remarkably wastes actors like Tom Hardy and Chris Pine by simply commanding "be charming, I guess" as a thing. Also, fuck Chelsea Handler. I don't even dislike her talk show, but jesus christ is she awful at this acting thing. (Although, a lot of it also is the film's fault by outlining basically every scene with "Me So Horny" in the background.) Worst of the year so far, probably will get topped but what a waste.

I enjoyed it up to the point of the train crash, but it just slowed down drastically for what seemed like ages before picking up before the end.

And by slowed down, I don't mean a lack of fast-paced action as such, but more that nothing happened.

Watched the recording of the Broadway version of Victor, Victoria that was originally broadcast in Japan because Julie Andrews wanted to do it. I do love it, though I like the ending of the original film a little better. Of course, the endings of the respective versions are suiting for the mediums that they use, but the cast is great. I definitely agree with Julie Andrews in that the show deserved more than just a nomination for Andrews' performance.

Moon. Really enjoyed it. I've loved Rockwell for many years, and this just added to it.

Yeah it's tremendous and it's a shame that Rockwell wasn't nominated for Best Actor because I thought that he really deserved it.