What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

On 21 August 2016 at 16:08, GA! said:

"GA, you should check out Game of Thrones, or Stranger Things, or Breaking Bad, or The Sopranos, or The Wire..."

"Nah, I'll rewatch Pokemon: Indigo League instead."

There. All 52 episodes on Netflix watched. My head hurts for some reason.

• Like 1

Man, The Secret Life of Pets might be the most unoriginal movie ever. I think it ripped off just about every other animated film out there, with particular emphasis on the entire Toy Story trilogy. I still haven't seen a single Illumination Entertainment film I've liked, which is sad because it kind of dampens my hopes on Sing.

10 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Man, The Secret Life of Pets might be the most unoriginal movie ever. I think it ripped off just about every other animated film out there, with particular emphasis on the entire Toy Story trilogy. I still haven't seen a single Illumination Entertainment film I've liked, which is sad because it kind of dampens my hopes on Sing.

First trailer: I MUST SEE THIS. NNNNOOOOOWWWW.

Second trailer: Oh, it's Toy Story. Literally, frame for frame, Toy Story.

I've not bothered with it yet.

22 minutes ago, GA! said:

First trailer: I MUST SEE THIS. NNNNOOOOOWWWW.

Second trailer: Oh, it's Toy Story. Literally, frame for frame, Toy Story.

I've not bothered with it yet.

It was under 2 hours and I had nothing else, so I gave it a shot. It really is just the worst Toy Story.

I then watched April & The Extraordinary World, which was fantastic! It maybe went a little too steampunkish, but who cares, it was an absolute joy.

I also watched Elvis & Nixon, which is basically Kevin Spacey and Michael Shannon hamming it up to 11 as two of the most ridiculous characters of the last century. Really fun, especially their eventual meeting.

It's been a productive day, movie-wise, at least :) 

THE FOREST was fairly decent, but....anyone who watched it and didn't see that ending coming a mile away?

She deserved to end up a ghost for her stupidity and being too thickheaded to heed warnings, but the guy didn't deserve to die.

Should be getting THE BROTHERS GRIMSBY in the mail from Netflix today. Not our top choice, but the 3 above it were all on short waits.

Keanu was a fun watch, though I don't think funny enough that I'd watch it again. The production notes on wikipedia are pretty funny. Spoilers included:

Many sites reporting on the film initially believed it to be a parody of the then recently released John Wick, although according to Atencio the two films were developed independently of each other, and the team was initially unaware of Wick until work on Keanu was already underway,[13] Keanu Reeves himself, who starred in Wick, would eventually get in touch with the production to offer his services. Subsequently a dream sequence was expanded to the movie, in which Reeves voices the titular kitten.[14]

In May 2015, Method Man and Will Forte joined the cast, with Darrell Britt-Gibson being added the following month.[7][10][9] Filming began on June 1, 2015, in New Orleans, Louisiana,[15][16][17] and concluded on July 10.[17] Seven tabby cats were used for the shoot.[18] Since Key is allergic to cats, he had to take a medication in order to interact with them

------------

Outside of the wikipedia production notes, I just wanted to say I was surprisingly ecstatic to see Luis Guzman get work

• Like 1

I'm watching Steve Jobs but I'm only about 25 mins into it, but am I supposed to like him? He comes across as a proper cunt.

11 minutes ago, I DDT 'Em. said:

Keanu was a fun watch, though I don't think funny enough that I'd watch it again. The production notes on wikipedia are pretty funny. Spoilers included:

Hide contents

Many sites reporting on the film initially believed it to be a parody of the then recently released John Wick, although according to Atencio the two films were developed independently of each other, and the team was initially unaware of Wick until work on Keanu was already underway,[13] Keanu Reeves himself, who starred in Wick, would eventually get in touch with the production to offer his services. Subsequently a dream sequence was expanded to the movie, in which Reeves voices the titular kitten.[14]

In May 2015, Method Man and Will Forte joined the cast, with Darrell Britt-Gibson being added the following month.[7][10][9] Filming began on June 1, 2015, in New Orleans, Louisiana,[15][16][17] and concluded on July 10.[17] Seven tabby cats were used for the shoot.[18] Since Key is allergic to cats, he had to take a medication in order to interact with them

------------

Outside of the wikipedia production notes, I just wanted to say I was surprisingly ecstatic to see Luis Guzman get work

I thought Keanu wasn't bad for a silly American comedy. I did love the whole George Michael/Wham bit. And yes, Luis Guzman is the bomb, he is always in the background of many films but he is bloody good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDK said:

I'm watching Steve Jobs but I'm only about 25 mins into it, but am I supposed to like him? He comes across as a proper cunt.

Less like him, maybe understand him - empathise at a push, but definitely not like him. I thought Steve Jobs was incredible - almost definitely benefited from a mixed critical reception - but it was electrifying filmmaking; the whole thing felt so alive, Danny Boyle matched the energy of Sorkin's script with his camera and I completely fell for it. 

As for me, this week has been a bit more about Stranger Things, but managed to fit into two Jacques Rivette films; Noroit and Duelle, which I admired but struggled to love. I adore his unique autistic approach - a low-budget non-narrative fantasy approach grounded in improvisation and physical movement - but I've so far found his films hard to emotionally engage in. I'm hoping Celine and Julie Go Boating is the one. 

I also just watched The Day of the Locust, which I also read over a year ago. It suffers from being overlong, but John Schlesinger (Midnight Cowboy) has the touch to bring this disgusting and seedy version of Hollywood to the surface and let its characters suffer in its hellish depiction (which must've had some influence on Barton Fink), the crushing and fiery finale works even better on screen. 

Edited by Jimmy

Hell or High Water was excellent, and I'd highly recommend it.

A Bigger Splash on the other hand... oh boy.

7 hours ago, metaLLman again said:

I thought it was a bit meh and self-indulgent myself.

I would've thought that was intentional; the characters themselves are self-indulgent, larger than life personalities (except for one). I liked his previous film I Am Love too, and, for me, there's definitely room for a little more melodrama in today's cinema. Speaking of which, Julieta is an outstanding film amongst a pretty disappointing year of releases - it's a wonderful piece of melodrama that utilises colour, music & fantastic performances to create an emotional character study.