What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Thoughts on few movies i've seen recently...

Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 7/10: Didn't really have any expectations on this, i mean it wasn't really bad but it wasn't as good as the earlier trilogy, Johnny Depp is still brilliant as Jack Sparrow and i also liked the subtle 'romance' between the mermaid/missionary guy. If they are making another trilogy i think they will get a bigger roles in the coming ones.

The Island 8/10: It's been years since i've last watched this and didn't remember it was actually good. Also found out it was directed by Michael Bay had no idea before that. Liked both Evan Mcgregor and Scarlett Johansson in this.

Monsters 9/10: Great film, really liked this. From what i've read people haven't liked this at all. There didn't really happen much in it, but i didn't find this boring at all and preferred this over the Cloverfield style where there's explosions and chaos everywhere. Also this somewhat reminded me of Lost In Translation which also basically just focuses on the two characters and not really much is happening throughout it as well, then again i love that film too and everyone else seems to hate it.

Edited by The Sandman

Saw X-Men First Class as well, really fucking good. To be honest, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. Fucking loooooved that cameo when they were recruiting mutants, oh man.

"Hello, I'm Charles Xavier."

"-- and I'm Erik Lensherr."

"Go fuck yourselves."

On the "where does it stand in the series" debate, I'd probably say First Class is my favourite. I do like the others (except Last Stand), but I find Xavier and Magneto more interesting - and Mystique was awesome too, so I want more films so we can see the changes in her character.

Zombie night last night:

Dead Snow

Silly Fun

The Horde

Decent take on the genre, but I felt like it tried too hard in some places, yet never felt entirely fleshed out.

I loved X-Men First Class, I think my only gripe was that Shaw fell flat for me as the villain. That's the only thing holding it back from being superior to X2 (though to be fair, I'd take Brian Cox over Kevin Bacon any day of the week). There was nothing wrong with the performance or character, it just kind of felt like he was there just because they needed a villain. Like there wasn't enough room to flesh out the characters of Erik and Xavier. Same with the rest of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost included. They all fell a bit flat for me. Apart from Azazel, who gets a pass for looking so badass. And especially 'Angel', who seemed to have no point at all besides them needing a turncoat... which Mystique would eventually be anyway, making Angel even more pointless.

I hope First Class ends up being the franchise to somehow do the Apocalypse storyline. I fucking loved Apocalypse in the cartoon and the alternate world would be wonderful to see, though I doubt it. If not, I'd like to see someone take a crack at Mr. Sinister, The Sentinels or Mojo. And it'd be nice if we could get an appearance from some more lesser villains next time, like Omega Red and Scarlett Witch.

I would mark so fucking hard for this. Omega Red was my favourite and most memorable villain as a child; the animated show I watched made him seem like a huge badass. I would love to see him tackled in film.

• Like 1

Echoing the love for First Class. It was defintely my favourite of the series, mostly down to my investment in the characters; I thought both Xavier and Magneto were hugely interesting. Nice to see Nicholas Hoult get some decent screentime too as I've always been a fan. One of my favourite films of the year and I hope they make a few more movies of the same quality.

Amd yeah Cloudy, the cameo was fucking wonderful.

Now, don't get me wrong, you will literally not find a bigger Michael Fassbender fan than me. I want to lube up and go crazy on that man. But I actually still prefer McKellen's Magneto. Not that I didn't love the younger version, because I did, but to me, McKellen just has that air about him that I think is perfect for Magneto.

So as far as characters go, X2 wins for me, just barely.

Brian Cox > Kevin Bacon

McKellen - Fassbender

McAvoy > Stewart

Lawrence > Romijn

Jackman & Paquin > All other characters in First Class

And yeah, I preferred McAvoy, which surprises me to no end as I've hated him in everything else he's been in. Stewart, despite looking the part, never really fit for me. I've always imagined Xavier as being a bit less loving father-replacement and a bit more stern. I mean, McAvoy didn't really play Professer X, but he did a fantastic job as the young Charles Xavier.

Also, I hope that Jean Grey and Scott Summers are two names that never make it into this series. But man, I really hope Colossus makes it into First Class 2. And a Kitty Pride with actual lines! And maybe even a Gambit that doesn't suck!

• Like 1

So, just got back from watching X-Men: First Class. And I must say, I really rather enjoyed it. Loved the interaction between Xavier and Magneto, all the way through the movie, really built up heavily to what was to expect from the previous trilogy. I am not a comic book reader or fan at all, I think I've barely read through half an X-Men comic book, but still I found First Class to be a really good movie. I can't wait to see where they go with the second one. I was a bit off guard for the the recruitment scenes, I could barely follow them at all but I attribute this to my lack of superhero knowledge; I am not a dullard, if that's what you think. :shifty:

Almost Famous - I loved it the first time I saw it like a year ago and I think I loved it even more this time. Just a great, great film and definitely up there with my absolute favourites.

Almost Famous is my absolute favorite movie. It's just a great story, great script, great acting. I really love it. If you get a chance, check out the uncut version. It's like 3 hours, but it's still fantastic.

I watched that the other week, too. I much preferred it this time, but I was a couple of years older since I last saw it, so I think I appreciated it more.

Stardust Hadn't watched it in a few years, it's a really fun film with some nice little moments. One of my favourite 'family films' ever made.

Inglorious Basterds Decided to stick this on again last night and I still love it as much, if not more than, the first time I saw it. The performances are just so good, Christoph Waltz really deserved his oscar.

I watched Yogi 3D last night with the missus. Was a little plodding occasionally, but still a good family movie, and worth a few laughs.. Loved seeing Dan Cavannagh again. I'd say about 7/10