What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

All I knew about Heat (1995) was that it's one of those films that always gets tagged to try and get people interested in other films (i.e. "From the Director/Producer/Something of HEAT..."). That, and it starred Pacino and De Niro.

So the fact it turned out to be a largely tiresome 2 and 3/4 hours was quite the disappointment.

• Like 1

I tried to watch it the other week but got distracted, I need to sit down and give it attention, but putting aside two and a half hours to a film is a big ask.

I know but I must have seen it like 5/6 times already and it keeps entertaining me. Especially the Shoot-out!

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

This is one utterly bizarre movie. I mean, time traveling to bring together historical figures to give a speech in order to save a future where rock music has united the globe in world peace, that's pretty odd by itself. But now you have killer androids, God, Heaven, Hell, the Devil, Death, space aliens...I love how casual Bill & Ted are, even as they are about to meet their own grizzly deaths at the hands of...well, themselves. "We're like, totally here to kill you, dudes!" "Whoa, total bummer!" "Cheah!"

Fargo

It's natural to spend the whole movie flipping back and forth between finding Marge's accent utterly hilarious and wanting to slap her silly for it, right? Great cast, crazy to see just how much everything spins out of control here from just a simple fake kidnapping.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Who knew that a story about 4 kids walking across their back garden could be so epic? Really cool movie, look how everything looks, the 'giant' sets and the utterly terrifying bugs. That poor ant...so sad. :(

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Oooze

I questioned just how silly this could be given how slapsticky the first one got at times. I fully understand now. It borders on parody at times as they all take it in turns to jump into frame like "RADICAL!" "TUBULAR!" "GNARLY!" "BODACIOUS!" So dated. Gotta love that Vanilla Ice cameo though.

Friday the 13th Part III: 3D

Like I said the other day, fuck the 3D. At least it some places it actually has purpose but they just crowbar this shit in for the sake of it. Thanks for the scenes of someone juggling or using a yo-yo. That's of such vital importance in a Friday the 13th movie. Kinda weird to finally see Jason adopt the iconic mask but that doesn't really have any of huge significance to it either.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Jeffrey Jones is creepy enough here without remembering 'Oh, yeah, it's that guy. The sex offender.' every time he pops up in a movie. Still, fun movie.

Hancock

First half, anti hero superhero whose surly nature and reckless abandon draw the ire of some Fox News like channel, demanding his arrest. That's fun. Second half...no no no.

Water Lilies is another excellent French coming-of-age story, and I'd say it's every bit as good and memorable as the director's follow-up Tomboy, which I'd really recommend checking out. I really, really like French cinema, and it reminds me how much Truffaut, Godard and Melville I still have to watch from the 60's (even though I've seen a fair chunk), and I haven't even watched any of Tati or Bresson's work from before that.

Guys! Everyone should watch: Song of the Sea (2014). It's beautifully animated and a lovely little Irish folk story. It should be in our top film list of 2014. I just saw it too late. To add it to my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbXWt8kM5Q

Hmm, just finished a long, serious war movie. What movie could I possibly put on, that's much more fun and perhaps rather silly? Say, one of which I've seen a certain bomb scene in isolation but not the movie in its entirety?

Batman-the-movie-image-adam-west-bomb.jp

:D

• Like 4