What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Catch Me Daddy has an extremely strong half, which is let down by a weaker second half. It looks absolutely fantastic, Robbie Ryan has to be one of the best working DOP's in the industry. It's well worth watching, as it's an accomplished debut film with a great lead performance from an unknown actress, and I can't wait to see where everyone involved goes next.

Also finally saw the original Carrie, which was unsurprisingly really, really good. Sissy Spacek was beyond incredible.

And my favourite film I've watched in the last few days was A Nos Amours (1983), which is a fantastic French tale of adolescence and includes one of the bravest debut lead performances I've ever seen from a sixteen year old. I think the French do coming-of-age/adolescence films better than any other national cinema. So worth checking out if that's your kind of thing.

• Like 1

Lucy

Good movie, but both Heidi and I wish we had rented it instead of buying. I give it 3 and a half stars, and she only gives it 3. (The ending sucked) We picked up it and Divergent (which we've already seen twice before buying to add to our collection) yesterday.

Next up is Dracula Untold, which we got in from Netflix yesterday but haven't watched yet.

Are we big film buffs? Well, since between the two of us we own over 370 films.......

*edit* My problem with Law Abiding Citizen, which I haven't seen in ages? Jamie Foxx's character is supposed to be `the good guy', but he's not sympathetic or likeable at all.

Edited by GhostMachine

The Protector (2005), something about Tony Jaa losing his elephants and trying to find them. Story is dull action is awesome. Especially the last fight, that one is "arm"-breaking.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhAjhoOFgoI

That's just insanely brutal.

Saw Chappie tonight. Loved it! I was very entertained and found it quite cute and inventive. The stunt casting of Die Antwoord was pretty much a flop for me, but the rest was fun with a nice mix of creativity and mindless action.

Dracula Untold was pretty good. I give it 3 and a half stars. The sequel should be interesting. I like that it gave a more sympathetic view of Vlad before AND after he became a vampire, instead of portraying him as a bad guy. And hope the sequel continues that.

I also recommend Stonehearst Asylum. Saw it last week, and has a great cast (Jim Sturgess, Ben Kingsley, Kate Beckinsale, Michael Caine, and David Thewlis. Brendan Gleeson is also in it, but not much). Its based on an Edgar Allan Poe short story, and is really good with a few nice twists. Heidi and I both gave it 5 stars. And its a thriller, not a horror movie. Its currently streaming on Netflix.

*edit* I believe we'll be getting The Boxtrolls next once we send Dracula Untold back. I don't particularly care about seeing it, so probably won't post my opinion of it.

Edited by GhostMachine

Focus was so boring. It's so drawn-out and while some of the minor twists were fun, all the major twists were basically see-through from the beginning and it was such a drag. Will Smith and Margot Robbie had quite the chemistry, though, so hopefully they get showcased together more during Suicide Squad.

Chappie was pretty good. Sure, there were echoes of District 9 basically everywhere in this film, but it was really engrossing and I found the characters to be quite fun and any drawbacks I felt it had are pretty minimal in comparison.

Watched Fat Girl (2001) last night and I still can't quite articulate what I think. It's a brilliant and unforgettable film, though. Again, if you like films about adolescence and sexuality, this is essential viewing.