What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Godzilla (2014)

is one movie I'm glad I ended up not seeing in the theater, or I'd have been pissed. The movie should have been called Lt. Brody, Godzilla isn't even in it nearly enough to justify naming the movie after him, and the MUTO designs were fairly lame. Plus I believe the way he defeats one of the other monsters is fairly similar to how he defeated Orga in Godzilla 2000.

Watching The Hunger Games Mockingjay Pt 1 last night. Booooring compared to the two previous movies. And I wish

Peeta had been found dead

I liked Twelve Monkeys, but then I'm generally quite open to Terry Gilliam's oddness provided there's a decent plot (this is where The Zero Theorem falls down) and Bruce Willis pushes it over the top.

What I also really liked was The Godfather: Part II. It seemed a lot more focused than the first one, and the Vito flashbacks were particularly excellent.

The Losers

I only have this because it turned up on some Amazon marketplace seller for like a quid one day, never really knew anything about it or it's apparent graphic novel background. Pretty generic action movie, Chris Evans is pretty fun in it though and it has Idris Elba so that's a plus. Villain is a bit weird though, on the one hand seeming really casual about the whole thing and yet they feel the need to show how totally crazy he is as he guns down some hired help that has to carry an umbrella around to shade him, making the mistake of stumbling and allowing the sun to hit him for a brief second. Movie also joins the fold of modern pop culture that is adding to the over saturation of 'Don't Stop Believing'.

17 Again

I am far from the target audience for this, a movie that features a topless, sweaty Zac Efron within the first moments of the film. Indeed, even the front of the box proudly proclaims that it's 'Packed with Zac!' with over 30 more minutes of him. But, with that said, I do love me some time travel related stuff and this is like a strange version of Back to the Future, only it's the parent hanging out and trying to help the kids rather than the other way around. It's sweet at times but also kinda creepy. The guy goes off on this whole abstinence talk that would be more fitting of one of the religious kids in Easy A. Perhaps these girls need this kinda talk though, there's this bit where he tells them that they need to respect themselves or else how will any man ever respect them? "You don't have to respect me!" "You don't even have to remember my name!" Woooooow.

The True Story of Wrestlemania

This one is kinda bad, it's really cool seeing all the behind the scenes stuff from these old shows but there's just not enough of it. If they'd really focused on maybe telling key stories from just the early days or maybe just a few pivotal Mania's throughout it's history it might have worked better. They just try to breeze through everything within their running time though, leading to the occasional really brief summarization of an event like "This show had X vs Y, it was really cool" and then onto the next show. But it's also like they got self concious about doing this predictable, chronological look back at all the shows in order so they'll start jumping around at points like "Wrestlemania X was at MSG and had this really cool ladder match. You know what else was at MSG? Wrestlemania XX, let's talk about that now!"

Dead Space Downfall

Maybe because I'm not super into Dead Space it didn't help but I wasn't totally into the story for this one. Not entirely sold on the animation in general either, the look and movement of the characters. Looks really good when things turn gory though and man, does this ever. Maybe caus this is pretty much a zombie story it feels pretty stock, and like any good zombie story it has chainsaws. Not just any ordinary chainsaw though, light-saws. Jim Cummings voices the Captain of the ship so that's pretty great, he does a great job when the guy starts going nuts. Too bad they had to go and have him stabbed in the eye with a needle. *Shudders* Still can't deal with that stuff.

Fight Club

Perhaps the one time where watching via BR over Netflix or whatever is better because you get to enjoy the massive troll of the menu. I was so confused the first time starting it up.

Scarface

I feel like my eyes have finally been opened to a whole bunch of references across popular culture now that I've finally seen this movie, namely about half of that South Park episode where Cartman is dealing KFC. Even as that twigged and I started to realise what was coming, it didn't make that helicopter hanging any less gruesome. The whole chainsaw bit too, even if you really don't see much of it, it's really intense. Feel like I got pretty tired of that whole 'slowly pan away, slowly pan back' trick though.

The Toxic Avenger

Forget all that DC and Marvel nonsense, what we need is a Troma movie to really shake up this superhero malarky. As you might expect, really cheesy and gory. Loses it's steam in the second half, I feel, but fun as it goes into the origin of Toxie with the bullied janitor and eventually the taco store robbery he foils. Who robs a taco restaurant? Something enjoyable about the guy in there with half his face painted, intensely cruel as he goes so far as to shoot a guide dog but he has the biggest maniacal smile as he does it.

• Like 1

How Kathy Bates won an Oscar for Misery is beyond me. I'm a third through and her acting is over the top with absolutely no benefits so far.

The sheriff or whatever he is though is brilliant.

EDIT: Film was good, but yeah, Annie was just hammy (and not the good kind).

It Follows - perfectly good horror film.