What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Half way through The Knights of Badassdom and despite an amazing cast (seriously, this gathering was something else for secondary actors) it's quite dull. Concept is fun, but script an execution falls flat.

Though "fuck you and the moustache you rode in on" is a terrific phrase that I'm stealing.

Honest to God, I have no idea what possessed me when I decided to select a three-fucking-hour film to watch this afternoon. I swear such things ought to count double in the '365 films' challenge.

Anyway, I watched JFK (1991). If you want to make a 3 hour film an even less satisfying experience, make it one about a mishmash of history/conspiracy that obviously is not going to produce anything clear in the end anyway.

Although I couldn't help but find it funny how Costner spends literally thirty minutes at the end of the film laying out the full details of the (supposed) grand conspiracy...and the climax of the film is simply the jury saying "lol, nope".

Penguins of Madagascar (2014), those name jokes where hilarious. Nicolas! Cage them! Elijah! Would you please take them away. Drew. Barry. More power! Helen! Hunt them down! Hugh! Jack! Man the battle stations! Kevin! Bake on! We still need that victory cake!

Brilliant stuff.

Ten minutes into Buried and the dude is needlessly burning oxygen with his lighter and somehow has mobile phone signal whilst presumably stuck six feet under. I already despise this film.

He must have Verizon.

• Like 1

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

I'm kinda surprised the kind of surfer talk didn't grind on me as it did in Wayne's World, I suppose that had a smug sense of superiority to it though whereas these guys are losers and they know it. Lot of fun to see all the different historical figures interact, even just sight gags like Billy the Kid and Socrates tossing a football around is amusing to look at.

Be Kind Rewind

Idea is cute, remaking (Or 'Sweding' if you weeeeel) these old movies and it's cool to see all the creative ways they do it on a shoestring.

Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars

Doesn't that title just blow your mind? Predicitably, it's both really stupid yet unable to live up to such a majestic title. How does a toaster get to Mars you might ask? Oh, all you have to do is ride on a microwave that's making cheese popcorn whilst strapped to a ceiling fan. All that time we wasted throwing money at NASA when we had the solution all along...

Billy Madison

I already broke precedent to talk about how horrible this one is. I guess I had forgotten or just somehow banished from my memory how annoying Sandler can be but the character is just deeply unpleasant too. Laughing at unfortunate kids? Sexually harassing the teacher? All part of a days work.

Monkeybone

Something keeps drawing (no pun intended) me to these 'artist gets sucked into cartoon world' and like Cool World, it looks nice and that's about it's high point. Much more annoying than CW though thanks to the possessed Brendan Fraser acting wacky.

The Man Who Knew Too Little

I do like these Anglo-American films where you have prominent American film stars like Bill Murray mixing it up with relatively small time British stars like Dexter Fletcher, Richard Wilson, John Thomson and Minty off Eastenders. Even Alfred Molina, wasn't expecting to see him so soon after Spidey 2. Fun movie.

Spider-Man 3

Funny to get like halfway through the film like "Well, this isn't so bad. I don't see why everyon...oh. Ohhhhhhhhh. Right." Yeah, the bad stuff just about makes your eyes roll right out of your skull but there's some cool stuff in there like the Sandman emergence and him getting his face fucking ripped off on the side of the train. Plus, I'm a sucker for the kinda stuff like Harry coming round at the end to team up against the bad guys. Bad stuff drags it down but it's not like it's the worst thing ever or anything.

• Like 2

Some good film picks yesterday evening: Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010).

Was also halfway through Unknown (2011) until the Amazon Prime streaming went all stupid. Yes I did see the last 15 minutes at an earlier date but it's still totally going to count for Film 365. :shifty: