What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Little known fact about Little Shop, Danny John-Jules is in it.

I love a Danny John-Jules film appearance, whether Lock Stock, Blade 2 or Labyrinth. He's amazing and usually unrecognisable.

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly
  • Like 1

Along Came Polly was a nice distraction. You know what you're getting with Ben Stiller for the most part.

LET IT RAIN

RAINDANCE!

It's probably my favourite Ben Stiller film that isn't Zoolander, Philip Seymour Hoffman is brilliant as always.

I watched The Babadook earlier. I can see why a lot of people were really high on it, but I just found the kid in it so irritating. Also, late in the film there was this really odd choice of sound used for the thing, like, I think it is literally a stock sound, like the Wilhelm scream or something but it was so distracting it just took me out of it completely.

This sound in fact.

Paulie

Feels like I've see a lot of Cheech. And by a lot I mean like...3 movies. :shifty: Maybe you'd call it a guilty pleasure but I like this one, even if it's just a dumb kids animal movie. It's just kinda cute. Romantic ending is a bit tacked on though, even if they don't go the whole hog with it.

Easy A

Emma Stone :wub: Penn Badgley :wub: Though :wub: 'ing Stone does make the whole 'Look at me, the insignificant teenage girl that no boy would ever look twice at' thing a bit odd when she's so lovely. Good movie though, neat idea and some fun characters, even if they do go waaaaaay over the top in both extremes of these extremely open minded parents and then all the Christians. Just seems odd to have a conversation like "Oh, just in case anyone says anything, I definitely don't have Chlamydia." "OK" It's biggest offense is it's butchering of the word 'twat', and with Malcolm MacDowell as the principal it's no wonder that Stone's character got a severe telling off. American's just don't sound right saying that word. Though, she goes so far as to just pronounce it entirely wrong as 'twot' so technically she shouldn't be in trouble at all.

Spider-Man / 2

This is going to be the kind of rambling that leads to no concrete point that I'm occasionally prone to but between this and the sequel, the first movie just feels different somehow and I can't really explain it. I can certainly point to improved aspects in two like Spidey's fights with the villain, the Green Goblin fights never really clicked with me and there's that point in one where he's dodging throwing spikes or something and looks really goofy doing. I'd suggest that's it, that the first is perhaps a bit more 'silly' given the over the top nature of Willem Dafoe and the Goblin, but there's just something to the look and feel of the thing. Seems odd given there's only a couple of years between the two and not a massive difference in budget but maybe they just had their shit together after getting their eye in on the first one or maybe it was directed/produced in a different way that I'm not articulate enough to explain.

But yeah, 2 is a big improvement, I guess some people don't like all the extra drama but I liked Peter's struggle between his two lives, not least for the momentary turn around of J.J Jameson, and the action surrounding it is good too.

The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue

I don't mind that you replaced the voice actor for the blanket, it's weird and no one likes that thing anyway but WHY YOU DITCH THE JON LOVITZ? He's the best guy! Pretty meh all-round, and to be honest I only watched this to make it to the third movie even though that will in no way live up to it's title, what with the tacked on anthropomorphic animals and cookie cutter villain. It's one saving grace is this really odd scene in which, bascially the 'master' from the first movie is in college and writing this essay but it gets wiped. The appliances go to this super computer in the basement and it starts interfacing with his PC and his PC is like "[supercomputer] is searching my files, he's reaching into regions never thought of by man. My memory banks are being stroked, and by an expert! It feels sorta goooooooooood." It's like, what the fuck?! This is a kids film! This PC has kind of a campy voice too so I suspect they knew exactly what they were doing.

A Bug's Life

I recall seeing both this and Antz in the cinema at the time, nice to think that kinda stuff went on even back then, you know, the World's End/This is the End thing. I like the voice cast, can't get much more of an old lady voice than Phylis Diller and you've got the guy who voices Roger Myers Jr mixed in there too. Circus bugs are fun, everything else and the film in general is just pretty average.

No Holds Barred

This one was fun, to a degree, making little sense as it goes yet keeping to the pretty much 'anything goes' nature of wrestling. Corrupt TV executive kidnaps you, sets hired goons on you prompting you to West Coast Pop out of the roof of the limo and kick all their asses? The police don't need to know about this, just head straight to your next meeting, Hulk. Sorry, not Hulk, Rip. Even though he is pretty much playing Hulk Hogan and is the WWF Champion. Not that you'd really know that outside of the intro because it plays out like this TV exec is trying to poach him from another network, not the WWF. You'd think they'd welcome their champion appearing on all sorts of programming!

But for as over the top as it is, it just feels like they could have done so much more. Like, when the TV guy offers Rip a blank cheque, he just stuffs it down the guys throat like Ted DiBiase might do with a bank note. Your name is The Ripper, rip it up! It feels like Rocky just did everything better when it came down to montages and building up the big finale in terms of both atmosphere and in it's editing. This thing is being built up like it's the biggest thing in the world and it takes place in some small studio with about 100 people, all of whom are dressed smartly and in clear contrast to an event that has so far been taking place in dingy bars and steelworks. I know it's before his time there but this really missed Jim Ross calling the action, hell, anyone really. You only get a few lines here or there. I couldn't help but imagine JR calling the whole thing. "AS GOD AS MY WITNESS, RIP JUST THREW ZEUS 30, 40, 50 FEET IN THE AIR! HE JUST CRASHED THROUGH THE CENTRE OF THE RING AND HAS DESCENDED ALL THE WAY TO HELL!"

And speaking of Zeus, I appreciate the fact that he's blind in one eye and they do go to great lengths to make him look like a neanderthalic badass but when the first shot of him you see is of this cross eye, unibrowed guy, it doesn't make the best first impression

Oh, I forgot, why does the TV guy spend the whole movie calling Rip a 'Jock-ass'? Like, is he just butchering jack-ass or is he getting flashbacks to jocks bullying him so he's adapted it?

The Old Dark House

Just a very weird movie, ranging from the more strange and creepy occupants (we can't cast an old man and it's kind of written to be an old man so let's just have a woman play the part and act as if nothing odd is about this) of the house to the relatively normal people who chance upon them who have their own issues like their overly polite squabbles or strangers falling in love and getting engaged at the drop of a hat. I never realised what a foot fetish one of the guys in this movie has, it's like he spends the entire movie playing with this woman's feet.

OH MY FUCKING GOD KINGSMAN IS AMAZING.

The fucking head exploding scene is fucking marvelous. The last few back rows in my cinema literally stood up and started clapping, it was so glorious.

EDIT: Also, Matthew Vaughn is just fucking awesome as a director. Love all his stuff.

• Like 2

The phrase "psychological thriller with Robert De Niro and Edward Norton" excited me, but Stone really didn't. Nobody is interesting, the roles are miscast (De Niro would've been better as the manipulating con and Norton better as the parole officer at the very least), and the script was awful. I feel like they brough Milla Jovovich's boobs out just to make the film vaguely worth it, but they've been on screen so many times they may as well have been the EWB logo on my computer. Naff film.

"Hey, I think I remember reading that the Dad from A Christmas Story is the Dad in Billy Madison, that might make for an interesting novelty in rewatching it."

*30 seconds later*

"Fuck off, Adam Sandler"

Hate watching purely to see if they ever find a way for me to root for him over Bradley Whitford.

• Like 2