You folks who work in Game, Gamestation etc

9 to 5

I don't ever want to trade in my Sega Saturn, one day I'll dust it off and buy some new games for it instead of the shit I currently have. Hope so anyways. If not I'll buy another console on the cheap and some games.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear some people go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make the shop a mess.

"Hmmm new PS2 game, I'll put that over the other side of the shop in the used 360".

"Oh yes, that preowned PS3 game by the door, I'll put that in the used DS section as far away from that section as possible."

"Meh can't be bothered to put that back properly, I'll just put it back wrong way round / upside down / on top of the other cases."

It actually frustrates me.

Just a general question, what's the ettiquete on approaching the till for a purchase? I mean, for a game, a used one at least, they'll take the case you take up and pop the disc in from their vast drawers. But systems, there's no point in taking a box up so why put out about 10 display boxes?

What we hate (well I hate) is when someone comes straight up to the counter and saying "Do you have _______ on the PS2...Used." Then I check in the drawers - yay we have ONE copy. I ask them to help me look on all the used shelves and they don't bother so I search for a good twenty minutes.

What I LOVE is when people take five minutes to look first, especially if they bring the case up.

Best etiquette: Take a few minutes to look for the case, bring it up, I get the game out of the drawer, we complete the transaction.

We have very few display cases - only new games such as Mario Footy and we DID have a Tomb Raider display but if people brought up those cases I would just go and get another.

Just be polite, understand we're looking for games all day, don't be arsey and if it's a used game understand that we'll be looking for a disc from the drawers that looks as though it works (it's a pain having people come back to swap copies). If it's the last disc and it looks scuffed we'll buff it first for you anyway.

Happy days.

In my naivity I actually did take up a box for the DS when I got it. When the guy went off to get the thing i'm left standing with this empty box like "Urm....". To be fair I was helpful and actually put the thing back. I learnt from my mistake with the 360 though, that was just confident stride up to the till and a nice "Give me one of your finest Premium 360's sir." or such.

Edited by TheEllisComplex

I always go in, give as good a look as I can.

I went in for Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme Legends, in GAME anyways. Looked through the PS2 section, looked at all the games beginning with D. Couldn't seen it, checked nearby in case it was misplaced or someone moved it and couldn't be bothered.

Then went and asked at the counter if they had it, he looked through the back draw, showed me it. I said, "yep, that's the one." So I bought it.

Of course I had to ask if he could do a card scan for me because I left my member card thingymajig at home. Well, I said I forgot it and asked if there was anyway I could still gain my points, so it took about 2 minutes for him to look through and everyone left happy.

I look as much as I can, if I can't find it then I ask at the desk, they're always friendly and helpful. Despite looking like Fantasy roleplayers on weekends, so the least I can do is be friendly as well.

In my naivity I actually did take up a box for the DS when I got it. When the guy went off to get the thing i'm left standing with this empty box like "Urm....". To be fair I was helpful and actually put the thing back. I learnt from my mistake with the 360 though, that was just confident stride up to the till and a nice "Give me one of your finest Premium 360's sir." or such.

Oh with console display boxes just leave 'em on the sheves. We generally know the latest deals (unless they've just changed) so we'll sidle off to get the console while you can stand at the counter counting your cash.

I saw a game in Gamestation called Football Hooligans for 99p

I was tempted to get it, but there was some tag on it, I can't exactly remember what it said, but my mate said, i think he said it meant it was Gutted, but i don't actually know what that means

I worked at a grocery store for close to 8 years and it pissed me off to take things back after people put them in the wrong place. But I usually let it slide because the store was somewhat big and people are lazy. But every GameStop or whatever I've been to was about 20 feet by 20 feet tops. I can't imagine people being THAT lazy to take a game, walk a few steps away and then not retake those couple steps to put it back.

I always end up tidying the shelves in CD stores. It does my head in, but I hate seeing the discs in the wrong section.

Join the club....although I tend to spend more time pushing the CD's back into thier racks properly in places like HMV.

I tend to feign ignorance or confusion and ask about it first, just to open the conversation, before 'deciding' to take it. I just feel silly walking straight up and asking if I can buy a console.

Yer I do that too, but not quite the extent I do it with games. I even make sure the shelves have the same number of boxes deep sometimes.

Ugh you and me both then. On Friday we price check at the local Woolworths and in their front window display a copy of Buzz Mega Quiz has flicked forwards from the rest of the games. I keep resisting the urge to crush my way into the window display to put it straight.

Job involving tidying + Obsessive alphasbetiser of own DVDs and games + Probable partial aspergers = lots of frustration and trying to tidy in other stores.

The 99p game thing has made me think of the odd stuff I have seen cheap in Gamestation. Such as the time I saw some sort of game maker for about 50p or a copy of MDickie's Federation Wrestling. I marked a bit over that. Makes me wonder though, they can't have given the trader much for either of those games can they?