MMA News and Discussion Thread

I can't imagine they would. He has a good record in the past, but in the last couple years he's been nothing short of disappointing. Granted he's lost against three top 10 talents, but I don't think he's going to get the Silva or Rampage treatment. His last three wins are against two overmatched Korean fighters and Marvin Eastman, not terribly impressive.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/7299/

Chris Leben tested positive for Stanazolol in a test administered by UFC on the day of his fight with Michael Bisping on 10/18 in Birmingham, England.

Leben, who lost a three-round decision, has been suspended for nine months by UFC and fined one-third of his undisclosed purse.

When informed of his positive test, Leben admitted using the drug but said it was months back and thought it would have cleared his system.

Leben is the second fighter to fail a UFC administered drug test as opposed to an athletic commission test. The UFC shows in the U.K. are not governed by an athletic commission, so Marc Ratner, the company's Vice President of Regulatory Affairs, who had years of experience as the head of the Nevada commission, oversees the event, doing many of the jobs that an athletic commission would do.

Not that it really matters since the title is going away after tomorrow nights WEC card, but Filho failed to make weight and his fight with Sonnen is now a 3-round non-title fight.

MAIN CARD

* Champ Urijah Faber (144.5) vs. Mike Brown (145)^

* Champ Paulo Filho (189)* vs. Chael Sonnen (184.5)

* Leonard Garcia (144.5) vs. Jens Pulver (144)

* Nissen Osterneck (184.5) vs. Jake Rosholt (185.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Donald Cerrone (156) vs. Rob McCullough (155.5)

* Carmello Marrero (206) Steve Steinbeiss (202)

* Yoshiro Maeda (135) vs. Rani Yayha (137)+

* David Avellan (185) vs. Aaron Simpson (184.5)

* Jose Aldo (146) vs. Jonathan Brookins (146)

* Rafael Dias (155) vs. Danny Castillo (156)

^ - Missed weight on first attempt but made it on second attempt.

* - Missed weight (192) on first attempt. Also missed (189) on second attempt. Now a non-title fight.

+ - Missed weight but opponent agreed to fight anyway.

Edited by Fitzy

I can't believe that there are fighters that still struggle to make weight for a fight, particularly in the semi-final of a fairly big show. Anyway, this show be a pretty decent show from WEC, can't see past Faber in the main event and hopefully Pulver will pick up a victory as well.

Fucking TSN2.

I was all stoked to watch the WEC card tomorrow night on TSN, but then I checked the listings to make sure, and it's on TSN2.

I hate people with digital cable... <_<

They're showing it on THE REAL TSN on Saturday night at 12 am Eastern, for anyone who can't catch it on that other channel tomorrow night.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Paulo Filho is scared to fight Chael Sonnen? I mean, the first fight was very controversal, than Paulo drops out of the scheduled rematch and goes to rehab, and now he misses the weight by 7 pounds.

He's has so much time to lose the weight, it's ridiculous. Fighters like Thiago Alves drops over 20 pounds the week leading up to the fight. There should be no reason why Filho couldn't lose the weight. This is really unfair to Sonnen who deserves a rematch for the title.

I like how his camp says he'll walk over and hand the title over to Sonnen if Sonnen can beat him. That's all well and good but it won't mean he is the final WEC Middleweight champion or anything so it doesn't really mean anything.

I also like how you use Thiago Alves as an example when he just recently couldn't make weight for his main event against Matt Hughes. :shifty:

From what I heard, Alves failed to make weight against Hughes cause of an ankle injury. If that's true, than it's understandable. It's hard to run or peddle with a bum ankle. Besides, I couldn't think of anyone who drops that much weight before a fight besides Lesnar and maybe GSP.

WEC Spoilers

Big upset as Mike Brown just beat Urijah Faber.

Faber throws a backwards elbow and got caught with a right hand on the chin and Brown just hit him with more punches on the ground until it was stopped. Brown is the new Featherweight Champion.

Brown looks to have a rib injury.

As for the rest of the show, nothing special. Sonnen vs. Filho was awful. So boring, and Filho just looked so out of it. Sonnen won though. I don't think we'll be seeing Filho in UFC is this is the kind of performance he will give.

Garcia beat Pulver.

Jason Rosholt is not good standing but I enjoyed the fight he had with Nissen Osterneck. Rosholt got the win.

Aaron Simpson had a nice knockout on David Avellan.

Next up for WEC is Miguel Torres vs. Manny Tapia for Torres' Bantemweight title on December 3rd. That should be a good fight.

Edited by Fitzy