MMA News and Discussion Thread

Japan has much harsher laws regarding marijuana than the US does and its media and cultural perception is almost completely negative. He could fight in a non-tested environment over there but if he got caught with it he'd be finished before he even got started.

Edited by NBT

So its fine for fighters to takes steroids or other drugs that increase their potential for muscle gain, turn around time for training, et cetera as long as they cycle off at the right time and come through the test clean? The CSAC isn't trying to prevent fighters from living normal lives, it is trying to prevent people from shortening their lives by using drugs for short-term gains in the sport.

If Diaz wants to fight in California he is going to have to be wary of the fact that the CSAC could realistically test him at any time. Given that his license has expired, Diaz will have to be tested before his next fight regardless of where it is.

Aside from the fact that steroids and marijuana are both banned substances... I don't see how they're even remotely similar. Marijuana won't help build muscle mass. It won't make you faster, or stronger. Any effect it might have directly pertaining to MMA is the same as any extra strength painkiller on a store shelf.

I just think the whole thing is ridiculous.

There's really nowhere else the guy can go. He isn't exactly in the peak of American MMA as it is, he's in Strikeforce. It's not like he can just transition that to a big money deal in comperable federation here. It's like washing out of the NFL and then saying "Well, fuck you guys! I'll go to the Arena Leagues!". Except Strikeforce kind of already is the Arena Leagues. So I guess it's kind of like washing out of the Arena Leagues and going to the CFL.

Edit: And Gabe, it's not up to you to determine why they banned marijuana. They have their reasons. Simply put, it is a banned substance, and no matter whether it should or shouldn't be, it is. The only rediculous thing is that a guy has a contract where he gets paid primo money to punch people in the face and he can't even stop toking up long enough to go and do that.

Edited by SeanDMan
  • Like 1

Simply put, it is a banned substance, and no matter whether it should or shouldn't be, it is. The only rediculous thing is that a guy has a contract where he gets paid primo money to punch people in the face and he can't even stop toking up long enough to go and do that.

Bingo.

My issue with this is the fact Diaz and Gracie play dumb and are like, "Well, we had an agreement with Armando Garcia. We didn't know." Which is completely laughable. Garcia was forced to resign, CSAC got a new director and instantly instituted new rules. As a fighter it is his job to comply to these rules and if he had any concerns he needed to contact Douglas ASAP and try to clear any situations up. It's his fault.

I haven't been saying that Diaz should be allowed to fight, Sean... I agree with the decision of the commission at this point in time. I'm just saying, I really don't understand how marijuana is an issue in relation to Mixed Martial Arts, except under the circumstance that a fighter is high at the time of his or her fight. It isn't like steroids, which have a direct effect on all aspects, from training, to health and ability to heal from injuries as well as susceptability to injuries.

Also, about the minor league idea here... Nick Diaz made what $40,000 to embarrass Frank Shamrock? He might not be able to make THAT much, but there are a few Canadian promotions, most notably, Maximum Fighting Championships... DREAM and Sengoku in Japan... and all the rinky-dink places that pay ridiculous amounts for their main event fighters, and then just use locals and unknowns to fill out the card. It's not like he's commanding a Shamrock-esque payday of hundreds of thousands of dollars. He's an extremely affordable asset for any promotion.

With the news of Anderson Silva saying he'd make a permanent move to 205, I wonder if Rich Franklin will move back to 185 and go for the belt again. :shifty:

It'd be the best move for him, he's just going to kind of float near the upper tier of the light heavyweight division otherwise. Certainly won't be going anywhere near the belt with Silva in the division now.

Edited by Maxx

For those of you who haven't seen UFC 100 you can watch it on Spike this Saturday at 10pm, going up against Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg. Lesnar/Mir, Henderson/Bisping, Belcher/Akiyama from the main card will air, leaving out the GSP/Alves due to the fact it went the full five rounds I am sure. Plus Bonnar/Coleman, Gugerty/Grice, and Jones/O'Brien from the prelims will make it on instead.

• Like 2

Even if Kenny did piss himself, he's got a cup and likely shorts underneath to absorb it. It's not like his ding dong is just hanging out there in a position to projectile piss.

Hey, the Janitor is back in the UFC! Great addition of depth at 205.

Also, I haven't watched any replays of 101 but I've heard the crowd was kind of indifferent through out the show. I was watching at the bar, the place was packed, loud, and everybody was really enjoying themselves so the whole card was very entertaining.

Even if Kenny did piss himself, he's got a cup and likely shorts underneath to absorb it. It's not like his ding dong is just hanging out there in a position to projectile piss.

Hey, the Janitor is back in the UFC! Great addition of depth at 205.

Also, I haven't watched any replays of 101 but I've heard the crowd was kind of indifferent through out the show. I was watching at the bar, the place was packed, loud, and everybody was really enjoying themselves so the whole card was very entertaining.

I found the Philly crowd to be a very weak crowd for UFC. Of course, Sherdog said that it was hot from the beginning, but that a couple of decisions quieted them down.

Figures though... the loudest they would get on PPV is during a brawl in the audience. I wouldn't go back any time soon.

I'm not excited about Matyushenko back in the UFC. And what's with all the returns at 103? Trigg, Belfort, Cro Cop, Matyushenko...

There's a good chance three of the four lose too. I know little to nothing about Matyushenko's opponent other than that he trains with Cro Cop, so i'll give the Janitor the nod there. I think Koscheck beats Trigg, Franklin beats Belfort, and Dos Santos vs. Cro Cop is hard for me to call because i'm being sentimental. I'd love to see a Cro Cop win and a return to form, but my brain tells me to take Dos Santos.

Nick Diaz is going to try his hand at professional boxing again? Maybe we'll get that rematch with KJ Noons.

Thales Leites being cut surprises me. A loss to Alessio Sakara is a black mark on anyone's record and he of course had the terrible fight against Anderson Silva, but that's as much Joe Silva's fault for throwing him in way too early. Nobody was touting Leites as a top contender when that fight was made.

Also, why does everyone think Anderson is moving to 205 permanently? I have yet to find a source. I've only heard him say that he would like to fight in both divisions.

Edited by Indie913

At the UFC 101 Post-Fight Press Conference, Dana made it out that Anderson Silva was willing to relinquish the 185 lb title and move up to 205 permanently, and he also said that he would get Silva/Machida made. Silva, however, said that he would never fight Lyoto... and later on Ed Soares said that he has no intention of a permanent move to 205, and never even spoke about it. The intent from Silva and his team is to keep alternating between divisions. Defend the belt at 185, and then have a 205 superfight, and then back to 185 to defend.

I don't mind this so much, because it gives Dana and Joe Silva more time to determine who's ready for Anderson.