MMA News and Discussion Thread

Why the hell did Cung Le and/or Strikeforce vacate the Middleweight belt if Le was just going to be back a month after the vacancy of the title?

I mean, if it gets more Mayhem on my television, then I'm not complaining. But still :shifty:

EDIT: Cung Le just confirmed it on tonight's Strikeforce Challengers, he's back in December.

He doesn't plan on fighting very often. Scott Coker wants the champions to commit to defending their belts twice a year from this point forward, and Cung Le couldn't do that.

Also, Jacare will submit Lindland with ease.

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers ratings are in:

It drew an average of 3.79 million viewers which is down from the last CBS MMA event (Elite XC Heat which was Kimbo vs. Petruzelli - 4.3 million viewers).

The ratings are not known yet for the overtime period which was the actual Fedor vs. Rogers fight.

They came in first in the key demographics: beating college football on ABC with a 2.2 rating for males 18-34 and a 2.3 rating for males 18-49. Overall it led in adults 18-34 and 18-49 with 1.7 ratings.

The 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. portion of the Saturday broadcast was the third most watched show on network television.

The 10:00 to 10:30 segment, which featured the bulk of Shields vs. Miller, is at the moment the only fight to crack the Top 20 most watched fights in MMA’s history with U.S. television, coming in at 18th.

Yeah, there is something impressive in not shitting yourself staying calm and not making a mistake. But when you are three rounds down after the third round you may as well go insane and actually try and win rather than force lay and pray.

Yeah, there is something impressive in not shitting yourself staying calm and not making a mistake. But when you are three rounds down after the third round you may as well go insane and actually try and win rather than force lay and pray.

I think you're underestimating Jake Shields' wrestling here. Mayhem, when given the opportunity, came out looking for big strikes, but Shields would take him down and control him again.

Shields dominated the fight... but Mayhem did more to try and finish the fight, and came the closest to doing so.

I meant more once he was pinned/down. He just tried to control Shields and seemingly not get subbed whilst hoping to get stood up. There wasn't a lot of frantic bridging, it all seemed too controlled, especially when he was down three rounds. He never seemed to be doing all he could to get up. Having said that Shields was lucky you can't throw elbows or else a lot of the positions he got Mayhem in would have led to him dying.

Edited by QuomQuat

Yeah, Miller was awesome in that fight, too bad he didn't win.

He couldn't of been that awesome if he lost pretty much every round :rolleyes:

But at least he made the fight watchable. :) Shields had a fan-dabi-dozi tactic of laying on top of Miller doing nothing and I applaud him for having a surefire but fucking boring gameplan, but Miller was much more exciting to watch and was much more into finishing the fight than Shields was. :)

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Fedor's fight will probably also be high in the ratings because of people tuning in to see local news and going "huh, might as well keep this on until it ends".

• Like 1

Hmm, so I've got zero idea where to put this on the board so I figured this is the best bet. Basically I've started up a new MMA blog, Open Guard. I'm not coming in here to shill, advertise or anything like that, but just wondering if anyone wanted to get involved? Basically there's a ton of sites that just re-report news and I figured it'd be cool to have somewhere for an informal discussion and things like that. So yeah, we've got a good few MMA fans in here but we don't really talk about it an awful lot. So I thought some of you might like to get in on this. Right now I'm thinking we could easily get people together to contribute to:

- Event roundtables.

- Columns/Features

- Event reports

- Anything of that sort of nature

So yeah, let me know in here or by PM if you like the idea. I just think a lot of guys on here have thoughts on things like the state of certain divisions, upcoming fights to even more in-depth things like giving your opinion on whether the UFC is anti-competition and so on. So why not stick your thoughts up on the blog, rather than give a tl;dr post in here? Example being the idea of a 225lb cruiserweight division in the UFC. It's being discussed quite a lot, so I stuck my thoughts up there.

I'm thinking this is a good idea, partly from when people raise interesting points (like MPH's post about the UFC being anti-competition) in here but it never really goes beyond a couple of sentences, whereas on there you can take as long as you need to get a point across. I realise a lot of people won't be interested, but even just one or two people could raise some interesting discussion. It'd also give the people who didn't fancy speaking on the podcast a chance to get in on the discussion.

Edited by ZJ Penn
  • Like 2

Hmm, so I've got zero idea where to put this on the board so I figured this is the best bet. Basically I've started up a new MMA blog, Open Guard. I'm not coming in here to shill, advertise or anything like that, but just wondering if anyone wanted to get involved? Basically there's a ton of sites that just re-report news and I figured it'd be cool to have somewhere for an informal discussion and things like that. So yeah, we've got a good few MMA fans in here but we don't really talk about it an awful lot. So I thought some of you might like to get in on this. Right now I'm thinking we could easily get people together to contribute to:

- Event roundtables.

- Columns/Features

- Event reports

- Anything of that sort of nature

So yeah, let me know in here or by PM if you like the idea. I just think a lot of guys on here have thoughts on things like the state of certain divisions, upcoming fights to even more in-depth things like giving your opinion on whether the UFC is anti-competition and so on. So why not stick your thoughts up on the blog, rather than give a tl;dr post in here? Example being the idea of a 225lb cruiserweight division in the UFC. It's being discussed quite a lot, so I stuck my thoughts up there.

I'm thinking this is a good idea, partly from when people raise interesting points (like MPH's post about the UFC being anti-competition) in here but it never really goes beyond a couple of sentences, whereas on there you can take as long as you need to get a point across. I realise a lot of people won't be interested, but even just one or two people could raise some interesting discussion. It'd also give the people who didn't fancy speaking on the podcast a chance to get in on the discussion.

Sounds awesome, I'll check out the site when I get my mammoth amount of uni work done.

Haven't commented on the fight really, but... Rogers did not "rock" Fedor with the opening punch. Just because it opened a cut doesn't mean it rocked him. Fedor took it, that's it.

:rolleyes:

Its true though. He never really rocked him at all. Even when he was ground and pounding him, Fedor was trying to transition to an armbar, so there wasn't really a huge amount of danger.

Haven't commented on the fight really, but... Rogers did not "rock" Fedor with the opening punch. Just because it opened a cut doesn't mean it rocked him. Fedor took it, that's it.

:rolleyes:

Its true though. He never really rocked him at all. Even when he was ground and pounding him, Fedor was trying to transition to an armbar, so there wasn't really a huge amount of danger.

11ghdap.jpg

Yep, looked at how "rocked" he was... :shifty:

And agreed on the ground and pound, while it was significant... he wasn't phased by that either. He took two shots out of many, transitioned to the armbar, and never looked in real trouble. Had Rogers been able to maintain position and reign down more heavy blows it'd be different, but that wasn't the case. Not downplaying how well Rogers did, but by no means was Fedor ever rocked during the fight. A cut does not equal being rocked, especially for someone having thin skin.

GnP GIF:

14t92eh.jpg

Hard shots, but Fedor stayed composed and was never rocked by those. I'm sure they hurt, but there is a distinct difference in calling someone "rocked" by anything.

Example of being rocked:

282jlz6.jpg

Edited by ACCBiggz
  • Like 2