MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Grinch

Sean Sherk is injured and out of his match at 108, Duane Ludwig returns to take on Jim Miller instead.

And in other Canadian news, The Score is replacing TSN as WEC's broadcast partner. Hard to say if this is better or worse - TSN shunted a lot of WEC shows off to TSN2, which a lot of people don't get, but The Score is just as hard to find in Quebec and the Maritimes if I remember correctly.

TSN badly needs an MMA show of some sort, simulcasting the ESPN show on their website just isn't enough. I can see it being hard for them to find a host who is a legitimate MMA fan, but if they don't have one maybe they could poach David Amber back from ESPN where I think he's just reporting out of Toronto anyhow (didn't he call UCC or something else for TSN back in the day?) and pair him with Carlos Newton or some other past-their-prime Canadian fighter.

From what I understand of the deal, WEC is much better off on The Score.

TSN's live coverage of WEC was pushed to TSN2, which is only available in certain areas of Canada, and even then, you have to pay extra for anyways. The main channel would air the shows on a delay of at least one day, but in most cases, the show would be pushed to a ridiculous hour or just not shown at all on the main channel.

The Score, from my understanding, will be airing the events live, and it is not a "pay extra" channel. Plus, with their history of covering Bellator and Strikeforce, and what seems to be a working agreement with the Fight Network, they have Canada's best coverage of MMA on a general sports channel.

TSN doesn't seem interested at all in Mixed Martial Arts, which is a shame... but it's good to see The Score being aggressive and continuing to grow their coverage.

...I couldn't agree more <_<

EDIT: This post was made at the time when Ice Cream Fedor was instead the "Photobucket account inactive" placeholder. Hopefully now it makes more sense than out-of-character shameless agreeing from Plubby.

• Like 2

Guest Mr. Grinch

And are based on parroting whoever they consider to be the gospel without any thought on their own. (The straw that broke the camel's back for me was a debate over whether WEC or Strikeforce's ratings were more impressive, considering they did roughly equal viewers on networks available in 75 million and 17 million homes, respectively). My favourite part was somebody saying "the only ratings I care about are the ones for streaming".

At least here we're willing to admit when we don't know what we're talking about.

I'm not sure about ratings or anything, but I chose to watch the Strikeforce card, and read the results for WEC. Looking back now, I definitely wouldn't change that.

The only issue I have with Strikeforce is that no matter what happens, you only get the advertised main card fights. So if all of them end early, the rest of the show is Mauro, Stephan and Frank talking about what happened.

Guest Mr. Grinch

Observer notes:

-UFC 107 did about 620,000 buys, making it the first show to far exceed expectations since 101. Why do Meltzer and others think BJ Penn still isn't a great draw again?

-Meltzer doesn't expect UFC to pass 500,000 buys again until 3/27 with GSP/Hardy and Mir/Carwin.

-The next Strikeforce/CBS show in April will likely include Henderson/Shields, Fedor/Werdum, and an Overeem fight to build for Fedor/Overeem on PPV. My worry here is that Overeem is a no-name to the casual audience and he'll be in the same position as Werdum on the last show or Brett Rogers on the EliteXC shows where yeah, he wins, but he doesn't seem like a top guy.

-Strikeforce also wants Melendez/Aoki and Thomson/Kawajiri in the not-too-distant future, but there might be issues with DREAM needing their guys

-Bobby Lashley was offered a Strikeforce fight with Shane Del Rosario but turned it down

-DREAM and Sengoku are trying to put together Kaz Misaki vs. Melvin Manhoef for the New Years Eve show

Maybe it's because I'm new to MMA and whatnot, but why would the GSP/Hardy/Mir/Carwin card draw more than 109 with Couture in the main event? Are those four fighters really that known? I'd imagine GSP is, maybe Mir too, but Hardy and Carwin, not so much I'd imagine.

The card from Australia seems pretty stacked, and I'm tempted to order that one, but the card from New Jersey doesn't interest me that much. Any particular reason why UFC 111 would get more buys than UFC 109? Or, hell, why not 108 or 110?

Meltzer thinks after his fight with Lesnar that people don't buy into the story of defying the odds with his age anymore. The buys for Couture/Nog were 435,000 and he considered the ratings a disappointment for the first time Couture's fights were first run on Spike.

GSP's last fights did 1.6 million (that was obviously Lesnar/Mir though), 800,000 for him vs. Penn, 625,000 for him for Fitch (but Lesnar was also on this one), 530,00 for him vs. Serra, and 700,000 for him vs. Hughes. With GSP and Mir both on this, Meltzer is right in thinking this will do over 500,000 where Couture's fight probably won't.

Guest Mr. Grinch

Maybe it's because I'm new to MMA and whatnot, but why would the GSP/Hardy/Mir/Carwin card draw more than 109 with Couture in the main event? Are those four fighters really that known? I'd imagine GSP is, maybe Mir too, but Hardy and Carwin, not so much I'd imagine.

The card from Australia seems pretty stacked, and I'm tempted to order that one, but the card from New Jersey doesn't interest me that much. Any particular reason why UFC 111 would get more buys than UFC 109? Or, hell, why not 108 or 110?

GSP is huge in Canada (I think he's a bigger draw than even Lesnar), which adds to the total nicely. Plus you've got Mir who has become a huge star with all the Lesnar stuff (Meltzer actually credits him for 107's buyrate being so high, not Penn).

Couture's days of being an awesome draw are behind him, or at least that's the assumption after him vs. Vera wasn't noticeably higher than any other European shows on Spike. 102, with Couture vs. Nog, was also lower than expected, but I'd blame part of that on a no-drawing-power undercard.

108 should be a good show, but has absolutely zero drawing power...Rashad Evans has only drawn against a huge name opponent like Rampage or Liddell, and there's nobody well-known beyond him. 109, as I mentioned...people won't pay for Couture vs. Coleman. It's a legends fight. Other than maybe Koscheck, nobody on the 109 card means anything to buys - so it's just people buying for Couture, and 105 and 102 showed that that doesn't work. 110 absolutely looks like a great card on paper, but it's all matches that should be second or third from the top really.

Past experiences have shown that any of those will draw at least the normal number for UFC, but to get a huge bump you really need one of those people who are thought of as superstars by even the casual fan. The names I'd put in that category are Lesnar, GSP, Anderson Silva, and maybe Rampage as being able to draw against absolutely anybody, with Penn, Franklin, Machida, Liddell, Evans, Forrest Griffin, Frank Mir, and Couture needing an opponent or a co-feature from that same level.

Fighters like Rua, Wanderlei, Cro Cop et al. are in an even worse position than you'd think because you need to be a true MMA hardcore to know their legends - a hardcore UFC fan doesn't care what you've done elsewhere.

Edited by Mr. Grinch
...or what Fitzy said only with more pretending like I know what I'm talking about

I'm not sure about ratings or anything, but I chose to watch the Strikeforce card, and read the results for WEC. Looking back now, I definitely wouldn't change that.

That's a shame because minus the groin shots it was probably the best card of fighting I have seen this year.