MMA News and Discussion Thread

Here is the mindless Matt Hume explaining ONE FC's rules, and telling us the wonderful reasoning for that head kick being allowed.

Yeah, that truly was an "open attack", wasn't it? Shimada was doing nothing while Huerta was basically flopping everywhere, and Huerta basically stumbled halfway across the cage before flopping to the ground (he was just holding on to one knee, not even tightly or anything to try to stop being taken down) before he was kicked to high heaven. Randy Orton would have been proud of that punt.

Their reasoning for the knee strikes to the head is stupid as fuck, too. Defending a knee to the head while turtled up or any way on the ground is fucking hard, as you are trying to defend your head from 6 different attacks, and as they also implement the lovely soccer kicks, it is 8 attacks to defend your head against.

Was that the press conference afterwards? Everything I have read has stated that the ref was telling him no kicks and the fighter ignored it and booted him. An open attack rule (at least when the term was used in Pride) meant that they had to be facing the opponent.

That was apparently at the ONE FC Summit (I guess, kind of like a Asian MMA conference?). It was held earlier this month in Singapore.

I don't know whether it was legal or not, but considering they kept on showing it on the big screen (in ultra slow-mo so you can see he catches him kind of in the neck a little, too) and that Justin Chambers, who interviewed the fighter afters was calling it one of the more impressive knockouts in ONE FC's short history, made me think that the referee and basically everyone else was ignoring what a truly bad call that was.

I was legitimately concerned for Huerta's well-being, but it was like my brother and I were the only ones that cared because they were all applauding Zoro (the punter) because he trained in nearby Singapore.

Apparently Shimada was saying "Low kicks" which is because the ref has to acknowledge that the attack is allowed, which is far too close to "No Kick" for me

To use an analogy, in sex play you would not have a safe word that sounds anything like "harder".

Idiotic.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mr. potato head

Batista to make his MMA debut in October in Rhode Island against a guy named Rashid Evans.

I bet at least one person buys tickets based on a misunderstanding of that name.

The undercard bouts include a showdown between Victor Bellfart and Shotgun Rooa.