(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

So I've recently being getting into X Japan. Anyone else heard much by them? I love the blend of heavy speed metal from their earlier releases with the piano balladry of later releases and everything in-between.

X Japan are one of my favourite bands of all time

Favourite Songs:

Rusty Nail

X

Kurenai

Weekend

Art of Life

So I've recently being getting into X Japan. Anyone else heard much by them? I love the blend of heavy speed metal from their earlier releases with the piano balladry of later releases and everything in-between.

X Japan are one of my favourite bands of all time

Favourite Songs:

Rusty Nail

X

Kurenai

Weekend

Art of Life

So far I'm really liking Kurenai and Blue Blood the most. X is good and I'm sure I'll like Art of Life the more I hear of it.

If you like X Japan I'd recommend checking out a song or two by a band called Versailles. Same kind of thing, with a bit more pomp in their performance. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm putting together a metal compilation based on random stuff I've been listening to on the way to work recently.

As it stands it runs something like:

1. Nemesis - Arch Enemy

2. Informal Gluttony - Between the Buried and Me

3. Y'all Want a Single - KoRn

4. Falling Away From Me - KoRn

5. Halo - Machine Head

6. White Walls - Between the Buried and Me

7. All Nightmare Long - Metallica

8. Mirror of Madness - Norther

9. Fuck You - Norther

10. Omen - Norther

11. Battle Metal - Turisas

.. and I usually don't get further than that. I'd like some suggestions to replace some of the Norther and possibly FAFE, as it doesn't quite fit.

You could go for earlier Machine Head stuff, like Davidian or Ten Ton Hammer.

Dillinger Escape Plan, either Setting Fire To Sleeping Giants or Black Bubblegum, which both have that heavy, yet catchy vibe to them.

In Flames have got songs like Clayman, Only For The Weak or Dead End which you might like.

That'll do for now.

I'm trying to avoid multiples of bands (apart from Between... because those two tracks are immense).

In Flames interest me and I'll check out those tracks. I've never been that bothered with DEP.

I'll probably throw some Wintersun in. And maybe some Slipknot (maybe Heretic Anthem?).

I do want to expand it a little to include some Dragonforce and maybe on or two other power-based antics.

Thank again. :)

Even if you've never fancied DEP, those songs are pretty sweet, so might be worth a look.

As for power metal....to be honest, you're probably looking at the wrong person, especially consdering you've already listed Turisas and I know you know of Alestorm, so thats kinda me spent :P

Replace ALL of the Norther :P Norther suck, the dude's voice is the most annoying voice I've heard in melodeath so far. It's like growling that hasn't hit puberty yet. And not one of them has any facial hair - suspicious.

Replace one of the Norther songs with Amon Amarth - 'Twighlight of the Thundergods'.

Replace another one with something by Kiuas (Spirit of Ukko, Conqueror, Warrior Soul...).

Replace the other Norther song (:shifty:) with Ensiferum - 'Iron' (or Ahti, or One More Magic Potion, or Warrior's Quest, or... something else).

Replace FAFE with Firewind - 'Warrior'. Just because someone should. Or 'I Am The Anger'.

Just as an aside - now that they've had a few albums without any lineup changes, what does everyone think of Firewind? I'd be lying if I said I preferred Apollo to either the Indian guy or Fredericks, but now that I've met him a few times he seems cool, so that's something I guess. Still, Stephen Fredericks > all.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I've send Firewind twice. The first was supporting Dragonforce in which they seemed competent but a tad bland. The second was at Download where they were fucking awesome and deserving a slot much higher than 3rd on the 3rd stage. >_>

Despite loving Wintersun I've not managed to get into Ensiferum.

And I'm sorry, the worst melodeath vocals are Children of Bodom. Utter crap. Like the band. >_>

Alestorm can go in.

More suggestions Farmer!!! :)

Gus is awesomecredible.

But the rest don't suck. Except maybe Apollo, but that's only because he had to follow the likes of Stephen Frederick. My favourite bit about Gus is how he's the only one in the entire FATF video. Firewind basically used to be Gus G. And Friends, formed after he left Dream Evil. Then guys like Apollo came along and had this thing called stage presence (sort of) - hitherto unheard of in Firewind other than Gus, so they became more of a band than a rag-tag group of Gus's mates.

Eww, yeah, forgot Bodom. .... eww.

More suggestions:

Korpiklaani (I'm guessing/hoping they've already been considered :P). And since we've mentioned Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Finntroll and Turisas, I guess we should mention what my friends consider 'the other one of those bands': Tyr. Personally, I'm not a fan of Tyr, but they're lumped together most of the time for some godawful reason. Tyr are too damn depressing.

Wolfchant? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6iyPLgiwGY One of those "I've got something stuck in my throat" vocalists that I'm not too fond of, but the music and lyrics are awesome. Wolfchant - vocalist + Jari Mäenpää = Godly.

Spellblast - Goblin's Song (:shifty: It's really good! Honest!)

Not sure if you're a Manowar fan, but if so check out Teräsbetoni (might remember them from being screwed out of Eurovision 2008 ¬_¬). They're hilariously cheesy, although they only sing in Finnish to my knowledge. Check out Orjatar, which is essentially their answer to Manowar's 'Pleasure Slave'.

If the lyrics being entirely Finnish doesn't put you off if the music's good, check out Kotiteollisuus. Raskas Kantaa

Finally of course, Battlelore!

and the ultimate (and live!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpN8NgkQQpk.

Edit: Actually, having actually listened to it rather than assuming it'd be awesome, Sons is crap live.

Also, since I can't remember if you like them or not:

Nightwish - Master Passion Greed :D

Edited by Farmer Reil

Gus is awesomecredible.
But the rest don't suck. Except maybe Apollo, but that's only because he had to follow the likes of Stephen Frederick. My favourite bit about Gus is how he's the only one in the entire FATF video. Firewind basically used to be Gus G. And Friends, formed after he left Dream Evil. Then guys like Apollo came along and had this thing called stage presence (sort of) - hitherto unheard of in Firewind other than Gus, so they became more of a band than a rag-tag group of Gus's mates.

Eww, yeah, forgot Bodom. .... eww.

More suggestions:

Korpiklaani (I'm guessing/hoping they've already been considered :P). And since we've mentioned Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Finntroll and Turisas, I guess we should mention what my friends consider 'the other one of those bands': Tyr. Personally, I'm not a fan of Tyr, but they're lumped together most of the time for some godawful reason. Tyr are too damn depressing.

Wolfchant? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6iyPLgiwGY One of those "I've got something stuck in my throat" vocalists that I'm not too fond of, but the music and lyrics are awesome. Wolfchant - vocalist + Jari Mäenpää = Godly.

Spellblast - Goblin's Song (:shifty: It's really good! Honest!)

Not sure if you're a Manowar fan, but if so check out Teräsbetoni (might remember them from being screwed out of Eurovision 2008 ¬_¬). They're hilariously cheesy, although they only sing in Finnish to my knowledge. Check out Orjatar, which is essentially their answer to Manowar's 'Pleasure Slave'.

If the lyrics being entirely Finnish doesn't put you off if the music's good, check out Kotiteollisuus. Raskas Kantaa

Finally of course, Battlelore!

and the ultimate (and live!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpN8NgkQQpk.

Edit: Actually, having actually listened to it rather than assuming it'd be awesome, Sons is crap live.

Also, since I can't remember if you like them or not:

Nightwish - Master Passion Greed :D

Korpiklaani are great. To be honest, I'd go Wintersun > Turisas > Tyr > big gap > Finntroll > Ensiferum.

Maybe I just haven't heard the right Finntroll or Ensiferum. Recommendations?

I'll check out the others shortly and left you know what I think. Nightwish are immense. MPG is good, but I prefer The Poet and the Pendulum from that album - it's all kind of epic.

I like the odd Manowar song (particularly "Battle Hymn"). Yeah, I've heard a little Teräsbetoni.

We blatantly should go to some gigs man - if only you weren't so far south. >_>

Korpiklaani are great. To be honest, I'd go Wintersun > Turisas > Tyr > big gap > Finntroll > Ensiferum.

Pfft. Turisas > Ensiferum > Wintersun > Big Gap > Finntroll > Tyr.

As for songs, check out 'Ahti', 'One More Magic Potion', 'The New Dawn', 'Wanderer'. Basically anything off the newest album (Victory Songs). Wanna know the hilariously ironic thing about you not liking Ensiferum and me loving them? Their vocalist when they founded? Jari Mäenpää, now of Wintersun. Their vocalist for the last two albums? Petri Lindroos, also of Norther. :P Why can't he 'sing' like that in Norther, damnit? Maybe he does now and it's just older Norther I've been hearing?

Bloodstock '09, in Derby. Can't get a lot more central than that, and Wintersun will be there. As well as Sabaton (who aren't as shit now as they were when supporting Dragonforce), Amon Amarth, Turisas... fucking SAXON! And me of course, although I won't be performing (on stage at least :shifty:).

Edit: Holy crap, breakthrough, Norther aren't crap any more either. Mirror of Madness = suck. Frozen Angel & We Rock = not suck. Despite the fact they called a song 'We Rock'. ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil

Pfft. Turisas > Ensiferum > Wintersun > Big Gap > Finntroll > Tyr.

As for songs, check out 'Ahti', 'One More Magic Potion', 'The New Dawn', 'Wanderer'. Basically anything off the newest album (Victory Songs). Wanna know the hilariously ironic thing about you not liking Ensiferum and me loving them? Their vocalist when they founded? Jari Mäenpää, now of Wintersun. Their vocalist for the last two albums? Petri Lindroos, also of Norther. :P Why can't he 'sing' like that in Norther, damnit? Maybe he does now and it's just older Norther I've been hearing?

Bloodstock '09, in Derby. Can't get a lot more central than that, and Wintersun will be there. As well as Sabaton (who aren't as shit now as they were when supporting Dragonforce), Amon Amarth, Turisas... fucking SAXON! And me of course, although I won't be performing (on stage at least :shifty:).

Edit: Holy crap, breakthrough, Norther aren't crap any more either. Mirror of Madness = suck. Frozen Angel & We Rock = not suck. Despite the fact they called a song 'We Rock'. ¬_¬

I knew about the Norther/Wintersun/Ensiferum connection. Maenpa > Lindroos. As for Bloodstock, there's a decent chance I'll be there - I'm just convincing my friends that we can afford to do both. lol. Yeah, the line-up looks immense so far. I've seen Turisas live (one of the best concerts I've ever been to) both here in Sheffield and at Download too. Amon Amarth were immense at DL last year, as were Saxon.

Heh, I like Mirror of Madness, even if the video sucks. My favourite songs are "Fuck You" which is hilarious, and "Omen" which is a ballad-y one. "We Rock" is good, I'm 50/50 on "Frozen Angel". Their covers of "The Final Countdown" and "Youth Gone Wild" are... entertaining at the very least.

But yeah, fingers crossed for Bloodstock :)

You heard much Eluivitie (how ever the fuck you spell it)? They don't seem too bad from the bits I've heard.

Incidentally you could just make the list a real mans list and have some Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Death, Cryptopsy, Wormed and Immortal tracks on there. <_< But what is the low-brow to Finntroll? They are fucking great, I enjoy them both over Ensiferum and Korpiklaani, perhaps even Turisas. And especially Tyr. Cannot say anything for Wintersun, never listened to them. I haven't listened to any Folk metal in ages though, been caught on all kinds of Death metal for ages now.