The BVS WWE: 2004-05

While maybe not the best show you've ever done, I still enjoyed it. (Although my predictions were CRAP)

Very shocked to see Sting and Harris take the tag titles.

The Elimination Chamber should be excellent, and I am eagerly awaiting Survivor Series.

- The SmarKDown! Rant for Oct. 21 / 04, taped whey the hell back on Oct. 17.

- from Rockford, IL.

- Your hosts are Michael Cole and James E. Cornette.

- Roddy Piper greets us and lets us know it's all about the wrestling. So I'll judge it on that.

- Opening match, WWE Cruiserweight Title: Shannon Moore v. Ron Killings. As openers go, not a bad choice. Killings pounds away on Moore to start, getting a back elbow and a kneedrop for one before working the arm. Moore fights out, but a back suplex attempt fails and Killings gets two. Evan Karagias distracts, allowing a BELTSHOT OF DOOM to turn the tide. Moore gets an atomic drop and tosses Killings, then hits a Sky Twister Press onto him and Evan (who held Killings in position). Back in, Moore with a moonsault for two. Moore goes KICK HOLLER, but no TWIST OF FATE follows as Killings scores a Northern Lights Suplex... for two, as Evan pulls the ref out and slugs him. And then things get silly, as Evan and Shannon hit the Spin Cycle and try the Tidal Wave. Billy Kidman appears, shoves Shannon off the top rope, Killings rolls on top. No ref, so Evan drops a big elbow, only to be caught with a Kid Krusher. Kidman adds the Shooting Star Press on Shannon for the hell of it, and Killings gets the pin (and the title, lost in all the mayhem) at 6:44. Not a good start. *1/2

- WWE Tag Title tournament, quarterfinal: World's Greatest Tag Team v. Dangerous Alliance 2K4. Aw, yeah, THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout. Haas and Tajiri start as Paul Heyman antagonizes Mike Barton on the outside. Tajiri kicks away on Haas, then gets an extra shot in on Shelton because he can. Handspring elbow and standing moonsault get two. Colt tags in and hits a backbreaker and slingshot legdrop for two. Shelton dives in with a lariat off the top, but that allows Tajiri to deliver a roundhouse to Haas and both are down. Colt is up first, but Haas escapes and in comes Shelton. Shelton slugs away and gets a rolling lariat for two. Mike Barton slugs Colt with the gloved hand because he can, and that makes Colt YOUR rookie-in-peril. Haas in, and the two men each give Colt a heartfelt T-Bone suplex as they share the love. Haas gets a figure-four, complete with requisite help from Barton. Colt fights through a few two-counts before Tajiri kicks the hands away to break. Tajiri is sent out, so WGTT do the leapfrog choke. Shelton with a German suplex for two. Flying fistdrop (as Barton approves) gets two, and we go to a leglock as we take a break. We come back with Colt receiving a heartfelt elbowdrop on the knee, and Haas comes in with a legdrop to the knee. Haas gets cocky and waits for Colt to get up, but Colt slips out of the Angle Slam and rolls Haas up for two. Haas with a big clothesline, and Shelton comes in for the Doomsday Device, but Colt catches him in a belly-to-belly off the top! Hot tag Tajiri, who kicks like a mofo and puts Shelton in the Tarantula. Haas yanks him out and he and Barton double Tajiri, so Colt hits a crossbody on Shelton and tries the Colt 45. His leg is hurt from Shelton's weight landing on it, though, and Haas re-enters to hit the Haas of Pain for the tapout at 14:04. Neato. ***1/2 Tajiri complains that he's the legal man and refuses to leave before the commercial break.

- WWE Tag Title tournament, quarterfinals: Rob Van Dam and Hurricane v. Los Maximos. Uh-oh... I smell SPOTFEST. And indeed, that's what we get as both Maximos enter the ring at once and go nuts on RVD/Cane. Well, they're trying to mix things up a bit, so good for them, but where does it go? Jose tosses Cane and the Maximos get a double armdrag and double elbowdrop on RVD. Hurricane returns via the top and dropkicks both Maximos into each other like some sort of Three Stooges bit, and RVD gets Rolling Thunder on Jose. Joel hits a rana on Hurricane, but his try on one on RVD, is almost foiled... until Jose clips RVD and Joel rides him down for two. Hurricane gets a release German suplex, then rolls to a standing position and connects with a moonsault for two. Neat. Joel picks his brother up and tosses him to spear RVD, and Joel gets a headscissors before Jose pops up and moonsaults him from halfway across the ring. Dizamn. It gets two before Hurricane tosses Jose and it's TRAINWRECK TIME~! Hurricane first with the superhero flight, then Joel follows with a quebrada, and RVD barrels over with a somersault plancha. Back in the ring, Jose gets a Blockbuster on Hurricane (which is now officially Hurricane's move), but it gets two. Joel follows with a 450 splash for two. The Maximos hit the moonsault sequence (after punching RVD off the apron) for two. Spanish Fly attempt, but RVD grabs legs and everyone crashes. Hurricane and RVD both hit Eye of the Hurricane, then it's up to the top as Hurricane leaps off RVD's back onto Jose and RVD does the Five-Star on Joel to end it at 7:55 and send them on to face WGTT in the semis. Bitchin. ***1/2

- Actually, when I said I'd focus on just the wrestling, I didn't know THIS was coming up. So Kidman, Rey, and Eddie wanna talk strategy for the match, but can't find Taker. They go to his dressing room, but once there they see a black room with nothing but eerie candles and Torrie sitting in the middle, staring at the urn (which is in the middle of a pentagram drawn in chalk). And then Kidman actually shows more passion than he did at any moment in his LIFE...

As Eddie and Rey both walk off to find Taker, Kidman stays back. He stares at Torrie, who never moves her glance from the urn.

Kidman: "So... is this what you want? You want to be in this trance... this PRISON? What's happened to you? We were going to be so happy together... we had plans... we had a family... I don't understand. What's in it for you? Why are you staying with this monster, this... freak? What can he provide you? Is it because he's bigger and stronger? C'mon, tell me! I can accept it! If he makes you feel safe, that's fine... stay with him when the matches are going on. But I want you at home, too. You're his manager... and MY WIFE! Dammit, Torrie, we've worked separately before -- why does this have to be different? Can you hear me? ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING? (He is on the verge of breaking down.) I LOVE YOU! Do you even care? What does all this... this stuff mean? What's in this urn? Is this your father? Is it some drug? What has he done to you??? (He stops and takes a few deep breaths. He is holding back tears as he looks directly into her eyes, which never leave the urn.) You're not the woman I married. You're not the girl I wanna come home to every night. But you can be! This... I don't get it, and I don't believe it. The Torrie I know would keep a promise that it would be Just Once. Torrie... I know you're somewhere inside that shell of a body. I'll get you out. I'll bring you back home. Home... where you belong."

Kidman leaves the room as we hear the door slam. The camera zooms in on Torrie's face, which never leaves the urn. It pans down her outfit (necklace, black dress, makeup, etc.) to the urn itself. We fade to black from there.

***COMMERCIAL***

During the Break footage of Eddie and Rey talking.

Eddie: "Man, I dunno how to say this, esse, but I don think we can trust him in our team, ya know?"

Rey: "Who, Taker? He'll deliver. He just wants to hurt people."

Eddie: "No, man -- I mean Kidman."

Rey: "Kidman? Why?"

Eddie: "Man, he's all upset, man. I seen this before -- you lose something near and dear to you and it consumes you for the rest of you life, man. Just look at my buddy Art Barr -- rest in peace, gringo -- he never got the feeling he wanted from being a big luchador, so he ruined his life, esse. I don wanna see Kidman beating hisself up over this and costing us our match."

Rey: "Okay, but... what should we do?"

Eddie: "You gotta get him under control, amigo. You know him better than I do -- you gotta get in his head, figure out whassup with him, Misterio Sobrino, you dig me?"

Rey: "Yeah... I just..."

Eddie: "What? What is it?"

Rey: "I... I think he has every right to be upset, man."

Eddie: "No, no! I know he does! But he gotta focus, man! He gotta remember that he's a wrestler! You gotta make sure he don let our team down, esse!"

Rey: "All right. I'll do my best."

- Eddy/Kidman down the road? Would be nice.

- WWE Tag Title tournament, quarterfinals: Tazz and Joey Numbahs v. Edge and Eric Angle. Let's see how he does with people who want to sell for him. It's a full-force brawl to start as Tazz pounds on Eric and Edge sticks and moves with Numbahs. Eric jumps on Numbahs's's's back, which allows Tazz the chance to choke Eric out. Edge yanks Eric to safety and he and Tazz go at it, while Eric hits a missile dropkick and leg snap on Numbahs. Finally, the ref gets things under control with Eric and Tazz in there, and Eric gets some OLYMPIC SIBLING VIOLENCE. Tazz resorts to good old-fashioned closed fists, and adds an overhead suplex. Numbahs comes in and boots Eric's head off (not literally) for two. Numbahs with a clothesline and stomping, then Tazz is back in with a T-Bone for two. Tazz looks for Tazzmission, but Edge taps him on the shoulder to distract him (geez, Tazz, you've only been a commentator now for 5 years or so and fall for THAT?) and drops him on the top rope into an Angle Slam. Numbahs cuts off the hot tag with a HUGE kneelift, which Eric sells by bouncing a foot in the air, then he kicks him down and clubs away. Eric and Numbahs do a Rocket Launcher, except not onto anybody so it's just Numbahs throwing Eric, but I feel like making it sound cool. Finally, Eric takes advantage of Numbahs's's's's's inexperience and trips him up into a release German suplex, hot tag Edge. Spear for Numbahs and a Sharpshooter for Tazz, but Numbahs breaks it up with a suplex. Big legdrop and Tazz tries for Tazzmission, but Eric slaps the Ankle Lock on him and Tazz is left hanging (literally). Tazz lets go and nearly taps, but Numbahs boots Eric and gives Edge the Numbahcruncah for the pin at 9:41. The kid's all right. **

- For a show all about the wrestling, the promos are pretty killer tonight...

Kevin Kelly: "Team Angle, you are just three matches away from a guarantee of the WWE Tag Team titles. The path has been made clear from here. What are your thoughts, Kurt?"

Kurt Angle: "My thoughts are simple. Look at who we beat to get these belts. Look at how we defended them. Now look at who is left in our path to return to glory. It took Hulk Hogan to pry them from our waist. He's not here. Tazz and Joey Numbers may be street tough, but they're not Olympic tough. They're not NCAA tough. And then, at Survivor Series, it doesn't matter if we face Rob Van Dam, Hurricane, or even our friends. You know, when we started being a team, it was out of protest to little guys like Kidman and Misterio being champs. It was to show we could do anything and beat anyone. But now, the tag belts are going to be a stepping stone to WWE domination. You cannot stop us anymore, SmackDown! Whatever we want, you know we'll get. It's true, it's true."

- Main event, WWE Tag Title tournament, quarterfinals: Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar v. Pure Energy. London insists he can start, and Kurt offers him a chance to start on top in the amateur position. London does an Oklahoma roll instead for two. Kurt is pissed now and pounds on London, then tags Brock in to do the same. Kurt tosses London over the top rope, so Brock tosses him back in from the floor. Awesome. Brock stalks London, nailing a spinebuster for two. Angle enters with a belly-to-belly suplex for two. Fisherman's suplex gets two. Kurt tries a belly-to-back superplex, but London falls on top for two. Kurt is pissed and starts beating London into a gooey paste in the corner before throwing him back out of the ring. He distracts the ref while Brock picks London up and powerbombs him through the Spainsh Announce Table! Welcome to the main event, Paul London. Cole reminds us that London's first match was against Brock Lesnar, and it didn't go too well. Brock tosses London back in, and Kurt covers, but Nova saves. Angle applies a sleeper as we take a break. We come back with Angle turning the sleeper into a half-nelson suplex for two. Brock enters and does the F-5, but no cover. Instead, he places London on the top, and Angle flings him all the way across the ring... straight to Nova, who gets the tag. Whoops. Nova enters with a springboard bodyblock on Kurt, then dropkicks Brock off the apron... before Kurt catches him with the rolling Germans. Double whoops. Kurt tags in Brock, who waits for Nova to stand so he can run him over with a Steinerline. F-5, but Brock picks him up at two because he's having too much fun. Kurt re-enters with the Angle Slam, but London saves from the outside at two. Kurt whomps London back into nothing, then goes up for the moonsault because he's an idiot. It misses, but Nova is half-dead and London is all dead. Kurt recovers first and gets a second Angle Slam, but he stalls too much and only gets two. Kurt begins pounding on Nova while yelling "STAY THE HELL DOWN!", and Brock comes in, promising to finish. F-5 is reversed to a crucifix for two. Now Brock is pissed, too, and tosses Nova from the ring, where he lands on London. Brock wants the countout, but Nova beats the count back in. Brock gets an overhead suplex for two... as time expires at 20:00? Huh? Roddy Piper comes out and says he will advance Team Angle on points, but homey don't play dat, sucka, so it's OVERTIME after we take a break. We come back, and Nova and London are noticeably bruising. Angle goes straight for an Angle Lock, but London hits a missile dropkick to break. Hot tag London, who hits a Dropsault on Kurt... but can't get all the way over because he's too tired, splatting on his face. He and Kurt crawl to a brawl, and Brock just picks London up and flings him. Cole then notes that "the longer this goes, the greater the chance Kurt and Brock make a mistake." And indeed, as he says that, Brock tries a powerbomb and London sunset flips him for two, leading Brock to get pissed and slug out the ref. He goes for a chair, but Tajiri -- remember him? The guy who wouldn't leave from earlier? -- gets even on Team Angle for his loss by misting Brock, and as Kurt complains, London gets the Contra Code and Pure Energy hit the Tidal Wave as the ref revives and counts a fast three out of spite at 26:55. Crowd blows the damn roof off the building. I've seen better, but the payoff was just right -- Kurt and Brock ignored Pure Energy all night and all of last week, and it bit them in the ass as they got stupid and had it all crash down. **3/4

The Bottom Line:

Definite rebound from Halloween Havoc, with some yummy tag-team goodness and a neat plot advancement on the part of the Survivor Series match. The story for that match -- Matt's three teammates aren't up to par with the rest but the face team will implode -- is pretty neat. Meanwhile, Kurt and Brock's elimination blows the thing wide open.

I understand tag team wrestling may not be your cup of tea, but if it is, SmackDown is the place.

Mmm, taste that tag team goodness.

I really, really like the direction this Kidman/Torrie/Taker thing is headed. ESPECIALLY if it leads to "issues" down the road with Eddie (or Eddy as you spelled it one time :P). Also like the swerve o Pure Energy beating Lesnar/Angle. Just the kind of thing that adds some intrigue to a show and really build somebody up, and something the real life WWE would do well to keep in mind.

And for what it's worth, I didn't think the PPV was THAT bad. I mean, it wasn't like WCW 1998 level bad. More along the lines of...well, WWF 2001. Ya know, a mix of good and bad.

Still think you do Keith better than he does himself these days. Not that I want to think about Keith doing himself. Oh god, the mental images, the burning...

Keep up the good work Dukes.

Okay, after a random comment in a reply to RF4's most excellent diary, I am VERY tempted to do an all-star roundtable for a future TV show report. Basically, I'd take all sorts of characters from everyone else's diary -- with permission, if necessary, though if you'll volunteer any of your characters I'll work on it -- and have them drop in with me to watch an episode of TV. I know who I want to have -- mainly characters from created feds and other such EWB all-star ideas -- but I wanna know if you think it'll fly.

With that out of the way, I'm falling behind and have to do some serious catch-up, so here's a different thing: a quick perusal of some stories on WWE.com this Halloween weekend...

Oct. 29, 2004

WWE.com

ONE STEP AWAY

They weren't supposed to be here.

As recently as the first of this month, they were just another tag team, struggling with an average record, usually appearing on Velocity to make ends meet. No one gave them a second though -- or even a first thought -- and many thought they hadn't recovered from an injury to one half of the team.

Now, here they are, their ticket punched for Survivor Series!

Taking on the Port Authority's two toughest thugs, Tazz and Joey Numbahs, has proven to be a tall order, but Pure Energy took care of it. A misplaced boot from Joey knocked out the former SmackDown! announcer, leading to a splash/legdrop combo -- which they call the Photon Blast! Three seconds later, it was all over -- Paul London and Nova were going to go for the WWE Tag Team titles!

But the real highlight of the night was the other semifinal -- a contest filled with athleticism, passion, emotion, and some top-flight contenders. Rob Van Dam and Hurricane appeared on the verge of elimination several times during the match, as the more experienced World's Greatest Tag Team dominated the early going. Not even the expertise of manager Stephanie McMahon could provide much in the way of a difference -- partly due to Mike Barton's presence on the outside to counter her in more ways than one.

With the semifinal's time limit announced at 30 minutes and rapidly approaching, fans began to wonder whether Pure Energy would even have a foe at Survivor Series. The Team Angle trio certainly became more and more worried, as it didn't matter which opponent they'd spend their time working on -- that man would find a way to get in his more rested partner. Eventually, their frustrations boiled over into one big mistake -- they tried for a Doomsday Device right by Stephanie.

Quickly, the former GM of SmackDown! got involved, doing just enough to cause Shelton to lose his balance. Hurricane, who would have received the blow, ducked off of Haas's shoulders and scored with a move he hadn't used in ages -- the Vertebreaker! The once-fresh Haas was out almost instantly, and a tag to Van Dam -- who was already on the top rope -- meant it was Five-Star Frog Splash time. The pairing, who only came together to get back at Haas and Shelton, had done so in the biggest way possible -- retaining their tag team title shot at Survivor Series!

Not all was wine and roses on SmackDown!, though. Two of Eddie Guerrero's teammates -- Billy Kidman and the Undertaker -- were told to team up against Matt Hardy's disciples, Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias. If it's any indication of how the real Survivor Series will turn out, Mattitude may only have to sit back and allow the opponents to beat themselves!

Kidman was mercilessly beat on by both members of Mattitude, while the Deadman simply stood by and watched. Taker reluctantly accepted the tag after teasing he would not, but even after decimating the opposition, he wouldn't cover. He saw Kidman on the outside, with Torrie staring at him -- or, at any rate, in his general direction. Afraid he'd lose his Creature of the Night, Taker tagged Kidman back in -- and the weakened former US Champion was easy pickings for the opposition.

The attack by Tajiri last week may or may not have been what cost Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar a shot at reclaiming their WWE Tag Team gold at Survivor Series. Whatever the reason, though, the Oriental cruiserweight is being blamed for the loss. Brock Lesnar showed Tajiri what happens when you cross a former heavyweight champion -- you pay dearly.

But there was more. After the match, Brock wanted to decimate Tajiri and put him completely out of action. Scott Colt, who had been Tajiri's tag team partner, would have none of it! He dashed to the ring and kept the former Next Big Thing off-balance long enough for Tajiri to recover. Another spray of mist left Brock open to double-team moves that put him on the floor, as Paul Heyman's duo showed they were not done yet.

The anticipated main event never got off the ground. With Kurt Angle and Edge set to re-enact their 2002 series of classics, Lesnar -- still miffed at being misted -- stormed the ring and started an ambush of the Canadian superstar! Kurt joined in, and the former Tag Team champions had Edge set up for the kill before Kurt's brother and Team Angle escapee Eric Angle saved the day with a chair! A huge 2-on-2 brawl began, with chairs flying and suplexes being dished out like Halloween candy! What's next for this unstable foursome that many thought would have been the semifinals tonight?

MATCH RESULTS:

Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias defeated Billy Kidman and Undertaker

WWE Tag Team Tournament semifinal: Pure Energy defeated Tazz and Joey Numbahs

WWE Tag Team Tournament semifinal: Rob Van Dam and Hurricane defeated World's Greatest Tag Team

Bull Buchanan defeated Konnan

Brock Lesnar defeated Tajiri

-----

Mutiny at Survivor Series?

Eddie Guerrero knows about little family squabbles. He must have had them all the time with Mando and Hector back in El Paso. He and his family fought over his addictions and his lack of self-help. Even in his professional life, it's nothing new -- he and Chavo fought in a hair match in WCW, which in Mexican wrestling is the ultimate grudge match.

In each case, though, he was a participant, being brought back to earth by a figure of authority. Now, he is the figure of authority, and the squabble could cost him a chance to get even for his title loss.

When Roddy Piper made the traditional Survivor Series match pitting Eddie, Rey Misterio, Billy Kidman, and Undertaker against Matt Hardy and his followers, he openly acknowledged the trouble Eddie would be in. Kidman was becoming more and more obsessed with the loss of his wife, Torrie -- now seemingly well into the Darkside powers of the Undertaker. It has led to problems in the past, most noticeably the loss on SmackDown! to Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias in a match most people believe his team should have won.

This is not to say Eddie is completely out of the trouble, though. His rematch with Matt Hardy is not seen by all as a natural right. Undertaker in particular believes that he deserves the first shot -- a claim bolstered by a tough loss in the tournament that put the Sensei of Mattitude into No Mercy in the first place. While it seems their animosity is professional, the duo haven't exactly worked together either.

Rey Misterio, the fourth man, is under as much stress as the others. Tag team partner of Billy Kidman and longtime associate of Eddie Guerrero, he's hoping to go out and win, but is conscious of the team dynamic. It seems pretty clear that he'll have to help Latino Heat if Mattitude is to be taken down at Survivor Series.

"It's a wild ride with a wild team," Eddie admitted to WWE.com. "We're all great athletes, but we all got egos, man. That's never a good thing when you gotta be a team, but that's the nature of the beast, ya know? It's nothing I haven't had to do before."

When asked whose side he was on -- Kidman's or Taker's -- Eddie played politics. "They both have their reasons for behavin' the way they are, man. I mean, Taker's right -- this was Torrie's call. But at the same time, if she's not giving him his due, that ain't right either. I just hope the whole thing is settled by Survivor Series."

Whether or not it is, Eddie stands poised to have the toughest job of anyone this November 14 -- keep his own team from self-destructing while defeating a team captained by the WWE Heavyweight Champion.

-----

From Nobodies to Somebodies... Could There Be More?

November 14 will feature the Survivor Series from Cleveland, OH. In it, Rob Van Dam and Hurricane will get a shot at the vacant WWE Tag Team Titles when they face the surprise duo of the tag division -- Nova and Paul London, Pure Energy. The duo faced Team JAPAN last year at Survivor Series and were seen as cannon fodder. This year, up until a month ago, they seemed the same way.

All that changed on October 3 at No Mercy. After an hour-long match, Nova and London -- while not winning -- impressed the New Jersey crowd so much that they got a standing ovation, led by Eric Angle. And now, after three big wins in three weeks, they'll be at it again, but with more than respect on the line. WWE.com caught up with Pure Energy after their win over the Port Authority duo of Joey Numbahs and Tazz.

WWE.com: First off, congratulations on making it to the WWE Tag Title tournament finals.

Nova: Thank you... thanks a lot.

London: Yeah... this is incredible.

WWE.com: Back before No Mercy began, no one would have pegged you guys as potential champions. Do you feel that lack of respect drove you?

Nova: We didn't need it. Our drive came from the chance to go to Survivor Series for the tag titles... that was the prize that night. And now, here we are, two weeks away from gold. It's a great feeling.

WWE.com: You were in this position last year. What's changed?

London: Well, last year we may have acted arrogant and expecting to win, but we knew Tajiri and Ultimo were accomplished wrestlers and that we were outclassed. This year, we have a lot more inward confidence too. We don't feel like we're being sacrificed -- we think we can win.

Nova: And also last year, we didn't have any intangibles -- no crowd cheering us, no winning streak, no preparation, no experience as partners... this year, we got all that. It's gonna be a lot closer.

WWE.com: I think I may know the answer to this, but when you drew #1 in Tag Team Turmoil, did you still think you could win it all?

Nova: It wasn't about that.

London: Yeah, it was about trying to win.

Nova: Exactly. Basically, we thought that well, we had nine guys to beat, and we can beat them one at a time. All we gotta do is get moments when we can rest, and try to take people out.

London: Things didn't go that way, obviously, but we did all right.

WWE.com: You mentioned team experience -- is that the big difference between now and a year ago?

London: It's one of them. Wouldn't you say, Nova?

Nova: Sure, it's a big difference. We've gotten used to each other's styles and offense, and we can leave our opponents in position to be hit with each other's moves. A year of training together, travelling together -- that'll do that.

WWE.com: There are many who feel you were lucky in your defeat of Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar, and that you shouldn't be here. What do you say to those people.

London: Well, we won again this week, so it's not like it was a fluke.

Nova: Yeah -- and you'll see what we're made of on November 14, I guarantee it. C'mon, Paul, we gotta see who we're up against!

London: Stay tuned, boys.

-----

A dangerous opponent?

Paul Heyman isn't someone who does things in little ways. In March of 2002, he announced his return to the WWE by signing Brock Lesnar to a contract. He rode Lesnar's meteoric rise to re-establishing his credentials as a manager -- credentials that people such as Kurt Angle, Big Show, Charlie Haas, and Shelton Benjamin noticed when becoming his proteges. Now, he's widely recognized as the best manager in wrestling -- a spot he held before when he nearly defeated WCW with the original Dangerous Alliance, a group including legends Arn Anderson, Rick Rude, and Steve Austin.

In 2003, he came back from self-imposed exile in a huge way -- during an epic WWE Tag Team title match between World's Greatest Tag Team and the seemingly arbitrary team of Tajiri and Ultimo Dragon. Tajiri had been teaming with Spanky in previous weeks, so this seemed like another warmup exercise for Haas and Benjamin. But the challengers gave them one hellacious fight, and when Paul Heyman's shocking assist meant new champs, Team JAPAN was born. They have never been pinned or made to submit.

At the Great American Bash, the world got to see young Scott Colt, and they liked what they saw. After an near-upset in his first singles match of Kurt Angle, Heyman latched on to opportunity. Now, he has three of the brightest cruiserweight stars under his guidance -- and he's so confident of success that he's christened them the Dangerous Alliance 2K4.

"And I'm not done yet," Heyman was quick to remind us in when asked for comment. "This is just the beginning of another return to glory. I'm tellin ya right now, by this time next year, I will be the most influential man on SmackDown! -- more than even Vince McMahon himself ever was!"

Every group of wrestlers -- or "stables", a play on the ideas of the Four Horsemen -- has had a leader in the ring. Whether it's Ric Flair with the Horsemen, Triple H with DX or Evolution, the Rock with the Nation, or Rude with the original Dangerous Alliance, someone needs to be the man who steps up and takes charge in any group. Who will it be in this organization.

"It's too soon to tell," Heyman said, hesitantly. "Asai [ultimo] has had a lot of international experience and is really one of the most decorated men there is, but I wanna see if he and Tajiri still have it. But that leaves Scott [Colt], and he's a little young to lead -- plus he's the new guy, ya know? I think we may need to expand before I can see who steps up as a natural leader."

Currently, the Dragon appears to be taking the solo route, pursuing a US Title reign at the expense of Nathan Jones. "I can't believe he's a champion," Heyman grunted. "He's not a wrestler. He doesn't belong in this business -- he belongs locked up. Mark my words -- he will lose the title, and we'll all be better off for it.

I think that a round-table would be a great idea, at least for a one time thing. Would be nice to see some different characters pulled in. Should be fun to write, and fun to read as well. Go for it. Hang ten. Surf's up. Righteous. Etc.

Oh, and get caught up soon. The "WWE.com" write-up sounded TOO MUCH like the real thing. :P

Nice reporting. So, any more SD!-side matches for the Series, or is that the only thing we've got?

And I'll volunteer Robert Cameron and Drew Porter for the roundtable, if I ever get my next few updates done.

Edited by Nick Adams

UPDATE!

Survivor Series looks like this thus far:

1. SmackDown! Elimination match -- Eddie/Taker/Kidman/Rey vs. Matt/Shannon/Evan/Basham

This one is booked and ready. All I gotta do is write it.

2. Elimination Chamber for the World Heavyweight Title -- Jericho © vs. Benoit vs. Orton vs. Michaels vs. Rhyno vs. Molly

As it's a title match, I'm reserving this one.

3. RAW Elimination Match -- Nowinski/Mack/Batista/Shane/Flair vs. Storm/Sting/Harris/Hall/Booker

I have heard nothing on this one yet, so I assume the writers haven't gotten together to work it out.

4. For the vacant WWE Tag Team titles -- RVD/Hurricane vs. Pure Energy

Again, it involves a title, so I'll take it.

The rest will be announced one per show, as we have 4 shows before Survivor Series. Today, I will put up a RAW and a SmackDown! and therefore give both teams something to work on. Hopefully, this experiment will work.

- The SmarK RAW Rant for Nov. 01 / 04.

- Live from Peoria, IL. I guess this does play in Peoria.

- Your hosts are JR and DDP.

- RNN! He announces that not only is the Elimination Chamber a foregone conclusion -- since two people will be teaming and everyone else is on their own -- but that Lance Storm had better find other things to do, because there's NO WAY he'll get another I-C title shot again. And with those pleasantries out of the way, we fire up the OrTron 7777 and show how Kane has been torturing Molly recently, and Christian has been making the save at various points of interest. This leads to Christian being our guest, and he tells Orton off right away like a good little Canadian. Christian then demands that Kane come out, and when that doesn't happen, never misses a beat in railing against him. Apparently Kane is a psychopath who needs to be locked up like Hannibal Lecter. No complaints here. Christian continues the verbal beatdown, announcing that Kane's attacks are "exactly what made me the most hated man in the universe, but I never went so far as to do what you're doing." When a woman bleeds, the man who does it to her pays, and that's what Kane is facing. The demon shall be slain, and he wants it at Survivor Series. Christian waits, and FINALLY the turnbuckles go alight and Kane emerges. After insisting Orton leave for his own safety -- and give Orton credit, he's smart enough to do it. And Kane and Christian stare each other down...

Kane: "You want me? You think you're capable of feeling my pain? You think you understand my motives? Understand this! That woman you protect -- you defend -- you act as the guardian angel of -- was she left for dead? Was she ever burned alive? Did she have a secret she wished to keep from the rest of the world? NO! And yet, she receives sympathy from everyone... while I am left to rot in my own private hell. LOOK AT ME! Can you stand the sight of me, Christian? My face -- my scars -- do they not tell a tale of pity and woe matched by your sweet little friend? And yet, I'm supposed to live with it! Being big means nothing, Christian. Big men feel pain, too. And it's a pain I've carried with me for all of my life! But you and everyone else mock that pain. IT EXISTS! And you deny it... How can you live with yourself?"

Christian: "How can YOU live with YOURself, Kane? So your life's been hell -- I'm sorry! But does that give you the right to bring others to your place? Pain is pain, Kane! I don't care what type it is, but it's something that is wrong to trivialize -- wrong to make fun of -- and absolutely WRONG to try to increase! Whether it's your life or Molly's, I don't care. You're both victims of something! But you won't leave it at that, will you? You don't want to leave it at that! Your whole life, you've been programmed to think that you were a victim -- that you were alone against the world -- that society hated you! Well, maybe they do, Kane -- but maybe, just maybe, it's not because of what they see on your face. Maybe it's because of what they see you do on their TV screens. That gash -- that open wound you gave Molly with the mirror she was trying to use to help you -- what was that all about? Do you want a world of people disfigured, living YOUR hell? Can't you make life better rather than worse? What's with you, anyway?"

Kane: "I will tell you what is with me... agony... despair... lost life... every step of the way, I have been left behind by one person or another. Whether it's the manipulative Paul Bearer, or that worthless ex-girlfriend who ran off with X-Pac, or maybe even HHH himself for desecrating the one girl in my life who cared for me! Society has written me off, Christian. And nothing you or Molly or anyone else says will change that truth. But if you want to be a hero for that pathetic little flower -- that girl who hides behind her gender but wants to play with the big boys -- then we'll do it. I will send a message to her through you at Survivor Series. But Christian, there is no way in hell you will survive in two weeks' time. You will feel my pain, and you will feel my wrath."

- Hoo boy. I really wonder if Molly's cool with this. I mean, I realize why this is an open thing -- the media reported it so much even casual fans see Molly as a victim -- but is it smart to tie it to her for the rest of her career? Doesn't it cheapen her accomplishments? Look back at the Intercontinental Title run -- it wasn't about a victim getting a sympathy push, it was about an underdog who was a foot smaller than just about everyone else and managed to win through sheer guts and athleticism. Sure it had "Be a Diva", but even that led to the final icing on the cake -- Rock's blessing of the whole thing. So why go back to this?

I mean, yeah, you're making a point about Kane's character -- heaven knows if anyone had his past in real life, they'd need serious therapy -- but so what? Kane is a fictional character; Molly Holly is not. More to the point, the house fire that started Kane's victimhood never happened, and Darren Matthews did. Why confound the issue when you're dealing with something very real here? Kane's pain cannot be equated to Molly's, and to try to do it is madness.

And then there's Molly. Yes, she's remained over and yes, she's become almost a hero at this point, but how do you keep her that way? She's cannon fodder in the Elimination Chamber, and the fans -- as supportive of her as they are -- don't like the idea of a woman beating a man, since 90% of them ARE men. So that puts her in limbo at the moment, because she'll need all sorts of help to beat a guy, but her status as former I-C champ makes it almost impossible to return to the women's ranks.

But perhaps the biggest thing here is that Molly seems to be holding it together a little TOO well. Sure, last year in the Elimination Chamber, she was just kinda there, and the whole thing hadn't been public knowledge yet, but what of this year? A brave face can only go so far, especially when you're facing someone a foot and a half taller who's promising to do really nasty things to you. I'm not saying she should be depressed or insane over it, but to be stone-faced is almost as bad. I still find it amazing she didn't ask for time off, and it's a testament to her guts, but maybe her character needed it.

- Or maybe I'm just ranting. I don't know anymore. I'm just glad it hasn't happened to me.

- Let's get back to the show.

- Ah, and how do you follow that uncomfortable segment up? With Trish Stratus, of course, poster girl for the objectification of Divas everywhere. It amazes me that the WWE doesn't even have irony in their dictionary anymore. Anyway, she calls out Tracy and asks her to end this RIGHT NOW because dammit, Trips is her man and that's that. Tracy races down, and we're off.

- Trish Stratus v. Tracy. Tracy and Trish slug it out -- not slapping or clawing, but actual punches. Granted, they're women's punches, but it's effort. Tracy kicks Trish in the gut and bowls her over with a tackle, laying it in hard on Trish, who has to leave the ring. Tracy follows with a pescado (!), but Trish catches her and rolls on top, slugging Tracy in the bridge of the nose. Ouch. Back in, Trish with the Chick Kick for two, then a rope choke. Tracy elbows out, causing Trish's eye to swell, and lariats her down for two. This is fascinating. I don't know WHY or anything, but it's fascinating. Tracy goes up top, but a flying knee to the face is dodged and Trish gets a Matrix-like hairpull slam for two. You can tell these two are friends or something, because they're just taking liberties left and right and the crowd is digging it. JR is absolutely loving calling this match, while DDP seems uncomfortable with it. Meanwhile, in the ring, Trish goes for Stratusfaction, but Tracy slams her into the turnbuckle and hits a back suplex (DANGEROUSLY close to a backdrop driver) for two. And just as this gets good, Mike Awesome charges the ring and starts attacking anything that moves for the Sportz Entertainment Finish at 7:00 or so. Dammit, I hate when that happens. **1/4 Valerie takes the mic...

Valerie: "Okay, you big lug Hunter, let's see what you're made of. I got your first honey in my boy Mikey's left hand, and your second honey in his right. I wanna know where ya stand as much as these two babes do, so how's about we play a game? I hear yer all about games, right? So, like, here's how it's gonna work. You come on down here and lemme know who's your girl... heck, maybe I'm crazy and you're shacked up with someone on SmackDown! right now. But whatever it is, you name it, and I'll have Mikey here teach the other one a lesson in totally bringing pain. Get it? Got it. Good. So, Hunter boy, let's make this painless... well, for you anyway... and get it overwith."

JR: "This is a sick display here. Mike Awesome should be suspended right now for tormenting these two women."

DDP: "It's worse than that, JR. Triple H has the day off today. He's not in the building. This is a setup by Valerie and she knows it!"

JR: "What is that... that jezebel trying to prove here, anyway?"

Valerie: "Nothing? Oh well... I guess they both lose."

- Powerbomb to Tracy, Awesome Bomb to Trish, and the two women are left laying. MAJOR heel heat for Awesome, of course.

- Shawn Michaels vs. Johnny Jeter. Well, let's see if those OVW rumors are any true. Jeter jumps Shawn to start and gets a hiptoss and crossbody for two as Jackie cheers him on. Northern Lights suplex gets two, but a second try sees Shawn flip out and get a German suplex for two. Shawn does a Flair Flip to the top turnbuckle on a while, but quickly rebalances himself and hits a moonsault press on Jeter for two. Yikes. Shawn hits a snap suplex and tries a DDT, but Jeter backdrops him over the top and baseball slides him into the announce table. Jeter suplexes Shawn back in and floats over for two. Then Jeter makes his last mistake, telegraphing a flying spinkick and crash landing. From there, it's all Shawn, as he gets a slingshot into the turnbuckle, a release German suplex, the big elbow, and Sweet Chin Music to finish at 5:13. TEN MORE MINUTES! **3/4

- Evolution speaks about tonight's matches. David Flair promises that Storm will realize he's the next coming at Survivor Series. Benoit says the World Title might as well have his name on it. Randy Orton says he'll provide backup for Benoit, but that it's all up in the air when it's down to two. Batista declares that tonight's six-man with Benoit/Orton/himself against Jericho/Hall/Booker will be a taste of things to come. And Michael Shane says to look for tonight's match as a preview of Survivor Series, as he cuts Storm off at the knees. Spoken like a true second-generation Kliqster.

- Lance Storm v. Michael Shane. Total chain-wrestling to start, as Storm schools Shane to the mat and applies a front chancery. Shane tries to roll out of it, but Storm gets into a pinning predicament for a couple of one-counts. Shane kips up and breaks, then tries for a headscissors, only to have Storm counter into Stretch Muffler and a legbar. Shane kicks away at Storm, then scores a running enzuigiri to send Storm to the outside. Shane nails a tope suicida and tosses Storm back in, going up top for a rana... but getting caught with a Texas cloverleaf. Shane kicks out of it and gets a handspring elbow in the corner, following it up with a drop toehold and standing moonsault for two. Storm sweeps the leg and gets his half-crab, but Shane makes the ropes. Shane leaps over a drop toehold attempt by Storm and gets a Lionsault as Storm is trying to get up, then punches away on Storm and gets a spinning DDT for two. To the top, but the Picture Perfect Elbow hits the knees (that's a new one) and Storm gets a German suplex for two. Shane scores with a dropkick and series of hiptosses before warming up the band, but Storm catches the leg and gets a Sharpshooter for the submission at 8:21. That's a cool styles clash there. ***

- Meanwhile, backstage, David Flair joins Chris Nowinski and Rodney Mack in laying it into Sting and Chris Harris. I sense a tag match next week -- and really, we'll all be better off for it, won't we?

- Kane and Rhyno v. Christian and Molly Holly. Faces do sterero planchas onto the heels to start, as Molly races away from Rhyno and Christian pummels Kane. In the ring, Molly ducks a lariat from Rhyno and dropkicks him in the back. Rhyno races after her, but Christian returns and intercepts. Christian with a suplex, but hit attempt at a superkick is interrupted as Kane runs him over. Rhyno with a military press for two as Christian is face-in-peril. Kane goes to the top with a clothesline for two. Heel miscommunication and Christian gets a dropkick on both guys. Hot tag Molly, ranas abound. Rhyno no-sells the Molly-Go-Round, however, and powerbombs Molly for two. Christian sends Kane packing as Molly gets a crossbody... turned into a powerslam for two. Rhyno tries for the GORE, but hits Kane by mistake, and Molly uses the POWER OF THE PUNCH for the three at 6:53. Rhyno/Molly had a good "desperate underdog v. brick wall" thing going, so it's no big loss. **

- Molly runs into Jericho backstage, and the two of them proceed to talk about the Elimination Chamber. Molly expresses concern that Benoit will single her out, and Jericho's attempts to re-assure her are less than helpful. Molly seems to shy away from Jericho, which is actually good, because it shows a lack of trust.

- Main event: Chris Jericho, Scott Hall, and Booker T v. Evolution. A huge donnybrook opens things, with Hall pounding on Batista, Booker taking on Orton, and the two Chrisses chopping the bejabbers out of each other. Hall and Booker get a double flapjack on Batista, but Orton comes in and hits a bulldog on Booker. Hall gets a corner clothesline, but gets slammed off the second rope by Benoit. Jericho gives HIM a springboard dropkick, then hits a crossbody on all of Evolution for good measure. Hall drags Batista to the outside, while Booker gets a slam and tiptoe kneedrop. Finally we settle down as Booker works a headlock on Orton. Shoulderblock by Booker and a legdrop gets two. Hall enters and gets a fallaway slam for two. Jericho in, but Benoit trips him and Evolution triple-teams in the corner. Orton with Play of the Day for two. Batista enters and pounds him down and we HIT THE CHINLOCK as we go to break. We come back with Benoit hitting the rolling Germans for two. Orton and Benoit do Total Elimination for two. Jericho blocks an RKO3D try and DDTs Batista. Orton charges and gets guillotined, hot tag Booker. Everyone gets slammed, and Booker bowls over Evolution with a single leg lariat. Spinaroonie, but Benoit headbutts Booker down and gets the swandive headbutt for two. Orton tries to follow, but Jericho tosses him into the Spanish announcers' table. Back in, Benoit with the Crossface on Booker, Hall saves. Fallaway slam, but Batista runs over Hall. Demon Bomb try is blocked, and Jericho gets a facejam and Lionsault on Batista. Benoit saves, and the two Chrisses bail out. Batista tries to slug down Hall, but Booker backslides him for two. Hall with a second-rope bulldog, then Hall and Booker do a Razor's Edge / Houston Hangover combo (with neat timing) for the pin at 15:44. Autopilot. **

The Bottom Line:

My discomfort with the Kane/Christian sidestory aside, this was another good wrestling show, with all five matches ranging from **-*** on the scale and nothing actively sucking. Some unheard-of stiffness from the women's division is a highlight, but they're Canadians, so that's really expected. The Molly/Benoit sidestory seems tacky and tacked on, and really Jericho/Benoit should be the issue.

Because Canadians are cooler.

BOOKING TEAM ALERT! Kane vs. Christian has been added for your debate and booking pleasure at Survivor Series. This match will end their two-month feud, and Sophie says it doesn't matter who wins. So have fun!

- The SmarkDown! Rant for Nov. 04 / 04, taped Nov. 02.

- From Martin St. Louis, MO.

- Your hosts are Michael Cole and James E. Cornette. Triviata: according to Gene Okerlund, what does the "E" in James E. Cornette stand for? Answer in next week's rant.

- Opening match: Scott Colt v. Charlie Haas. Sure, let's have this match for no reason, sounds good to me. Am I being sarcastic? Only my hairdresser knows for sure. They lock up to start, and it's mat wrestling a-go-go as Haas goes for an amateur takedown and Colt blocks. Cue some rolling around before we get a stalemate. Haas tries again, but Colt punts him down and works the arm. Haas gets a hiptoss and starts arm-draggin', but Colt catches one of them and, after a series of counters, it's an abdominal stretch by Colt. Haas makes the ropes. Colt switches to a ground sleeper, which Haas escapes, and after both men try for suplexes, Haas rolls Colt up for two and they do a pinfall-reversal sequence. Sweet. Haas breaks it with an overhead suplex, and a German suplex gets two. Colt bails to the outside, suckering Haas out after him, and Haas visits the STEEL stairs. Back in, Colt gets a slingshot legdrop for two. Sunset flip gets two. Haas catches Colt in a Hotshot and flips over for two. Angle Slam try, but Colt slips out and tries a German. Haas backs Colt into the corner, but the ref is in the way and everyone goes down. Haas goes for a suplex, but Colt reverses and tries the Colt 45. Haas goes to the eyes as Shelton Benjamin appears, but the leapfrog choke is an airball. Wacky miscommunication involving World's Greatest Tag Team, powder, and an Angle Slam results in Colt getting the pin at 7:34. Stupid finish, good match. **3/4

- And now, the poetry stylings of Nathan Jones...

Jones: "Ultimo Dragon. Paul Heyman. You people think I'm a disgrace to this title? Why? Because I win? Because I don't play by your rules, Paul? I suppose you think the only true stars out there are the ones from ECW -- short people who fly all over the place, never really doing anything but making the crowd cheer a meaningless dive or a stupid gymnastics tumble. You play your game, Paul. I'll play mine -- the successful one, where I just beat people down. So let me give you a little game, mates. I'll find a bunch of blokes who love to hurt people. You find a group of guys who do all the flip-flopping and jumping around. Then I'll see you at Survivor Series. And once there, I will prove that it takes more than being a gymnast to win. I will prove that you need power, strength, and sheer humanity. But most of all, I will prove that I am worthy of being a champion -- whether you like it or not. Cheers, mate."

- Oh joy, cruisers v. hosses.

- Jamie Noble and Billy Gunn v. APA. A pre-match vignette establishes that Noble is none too happy with Nathan Jones' comments. Gunn, meanwhile, acts surprised, since his wrestling is all about basically clubbing someone and sucking largely. Okay, they don't SAY that, but that's the implication. Noble and Faarooq start, and Noble dodges a shoulderblock and gets a crucifix for one. Noble with a DDT as Faarooq stands, then a dropkick and sunset flip for two. La Majistral gets two. Faarooq reverses a corner whip, but a blind charge misses and Noble gets a missile dropkick for two. Senton gets two. Gunn asks for a tag, and Noble reluctantly gives it. Gunn with CLUBBERIN, THEY BE CLUBBERIN, TONY, but the One and Only is blocked. Faarooq with an Angry Man Spinebuster, hot tag Bradshaw. Bradshaw runs over Gunn, but walks into a drop toehold and rana from Noble. Monkey flip, but Noble is illegal and gets escorted out. Gunn takes the opportunity to... club down Bradshaw. Blind charge misses, Clothesline from Heck, goodnight at 5:31. Noble gets right pissed off about this turn of events, and after the match volunteers to be on Ultimo's team. Gunn looks on confused, and Noble just LAYS IT INTO HIM, declaring him the weak link and saying the fans would rather see him on the unemployment line. And the crowd CHEERS. Noble goes the full nine yards, kicking Billy to the curb and allowing Nidia one last glorious low blow as an insult. Now if only this leads to Gunn being on one team and Noble the other... wait, strike that. If only this leads to Noble beating the crap out of Gunn next week and "injuring" him. *1/4

- Sonjay Dutt v. Tazz. This looks ugly. Tazz toys with Dutt, tossing him around the ring and to the outside, where Joey Numbahs adds a big boot behind the ref's back. Back in, Tazz gets two. Tazz with an overhead suplex for two. A second try, but Dutt lands on his feet and mule kicks Tazz. To the top, and Dutt gets a spinning headscissors to send Tazz to the floor, then a tope con hilo to wow the crowd. Cole wonders if Ultimo's taking notes. Back in, Dutt with a slingshot into a sunset flip for two. Dutt gets a rana for two. Corkscrew moonsault misses, and Tazz gets a T-Bone suplex for two. Dutt tries a Victory Roll, but Tazz drops him throat-first on the top rope and hits the Tazzmission. Dutt hangs on for nearly a full minute before he's declared KO'd at 4:59. Crowd was hot for this one, and Dutt looks like a star. **1/2 Numbahs walks in and pounds Dutt into goo for good measure.

- Pure Energy prepare for Paul London's one-on-one match with Rob Van Dam.

- Rob Van Dam v. Paul London. See, nothing fancy -- hype the match, show the match. Handshake to start, then both men do a parity sequence that pops the crowd. Boy, Nathan Jones is looking dumber by the minute, isn't he? RVD with a spin kick, then a triple kick to knock London down. Criss-cross into a monkey flip try, but London lands on his feet and gets the Dropsault. London Bridge gets two. Crossbody and punches, but RVD backs off, only to get hit with a Holly-ish dropkick for two. RVD bails to the outside, so London steals RVD's somersault plancha to a HUGE reaction. Back in, London gets a spinning legdrop for two. Fans chant "RVD", so London does an exaggerated Rolling Thunder, playing the heel. He HITS THE CHINLOCK as we go to break. We come back with RVD carrying London on his back, then doing a full flip forward, nearly dropping London on his head. Yeeouch! RVD with shoulder thrusts in the corner as London pulls himself up, then a monkey flip for two. To the top, but London follows and a superplex gets two. He goes up again, but RVD follows this time, and the two fight it out on top. RVD tosses London over his head into the ring, then hits the flying roundhouse for two. Stepover enzuigiri and Five-Star Frog Splash finish at 11:43. Survivor Series looks better by the minute. ***1/4 The two sides shake hands to finish.

- Eddie preps the troops for Mattitude, as we find out his teammates are in a six-man as warmup. He orders them to stay focused. Yeah, like that'll happen. He then tells Matt Hardy that all of them will be gunning to prove a point, and his team will be looking forward to taking out the champion. This leads to an argument as to whose responsibility the champ IS, with only Rey rolling his eyes and heading to the ring... okay, heading under the stage, but still.

- Rey Misterio, Billy Kidman and Undertaker v. Bull Buchanan and Los Maximos. Um, remember what I said about Nathan Jones being nuts? You know, that hosses can't succeed in SmackDown!? I didn't take Undertaker into account. Sorry. It's BONZO GONZO right off the bat as Taker takes Bull and Rey and Kidman go flying like Tie Fighters against the Maximos. But Kidman wipes out all five guys with a crossbody, and Taker is PISSED, chasing Kidman away to the back. This leaves Rey 1-on-3, and Bull hits the gutbuster and legdrop for two. Jose and Joel come in and get the moonsault sequence for two. Back to Bull, who overshoots his rebound lariat (since Rey is only 5'5) and has to compensate with a big boot for two. Whoops. The Maximos return and set up the Spanish Fly, but Undertaker races -- okay, saunters -- back to crotch both men. Rey ranas down Joel, and Taker chokeslams Jose as Bull comes in to make it 3-on-2. There haven't been any real tags here, by the way -- just a lot of chaos. Ref sends everyone to the outside again, and Bull and Rey are legal. Bull with a powerslam for two. Rey ranas Bull to the outside, and now Kidman returns and takes his place on the apron, making sure to stay as far away as legally possible from the corner (where Taker is). Rey crawls over, but Jose intercedes and it's a wheelbarrow suplex. Joel misses the flying legdrop, and it's hot tag Kidman. He cleans house on both Maximos, but Bull levels him with a lariat, drawing in Taker as it's all over the place again. Rey with the 6-1-9 on Jose, but Joel yanks Rey off the apron, so Kidman hits the Shooting Star Press for the three at 9:49 while everyone else brawls. This was okay, but it fell apart FAST. **1/4

- Piper's Pit?! Oh dear. Anyway, your guests are the Fighting Angle Brothers.

Piper: "Okay, ya guys, I wanna establish some rules here on the Pit. First rule is, no cheap shots unless I start it. Second rule is, this is my house, and I must protect this house. The third rule is, if ya got somethin' mean and nasty and just plain brutal ta say about anyone... well, go on ahead. It's all part o' the show. Now... Eric Angle, you been stickin' around in Kurt's side here fer some time. Can you believe... can you believe it was four months ago that you said you had enough of this Olympic blowhard and walked out in Philadelphia?"

Eric: "Has it been that long? Kurt... I'm still here. You can't get rid of me that easily, can you? I know it must be eating you up inside that I'm still standing. And not only that, but I got a heck of a track record. Oh yeah -- remember No Mercy? Remember how I smoked your replacement Mike Barton in 5 minutes flat? What's he been up to, anyway? And why can't you finally give me respect?"

Kurt: "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Respect? You? Hey, last I checked, you got sent packing from the Tag Title tournament by a rookie. It took half an hour, an inexcusable restart, and a fast count for us, and you think I should give you respect? No such thing is gonna happen, no way, not now, not ever. I'm the Olympic champion. I'm the WWE Champion. I've held just about every title there is to hold in this business, and you're sitting here, whining about getting respect? Just shut up, Eric. You can't handle my success."

Piper: "Well, Eric, what about it? The man is a legend in the making -- perhaps the second biggest name here in the Pit behind ol' RP."

Eric: "I'm a fan of yours, Eric. You're my brother. It doesn't matter how often we meet, what we do, how we behave, or whose heads we bash in; at the end of the day, we're brothers. I will always look out for you. Ever since you were this high, Kurt -- I wanted to protect you. And when you went out for all the wrestling teams, I supported you. I won't say I knew what you could do right away, because I didn't. But I was proud of you, and I applauded what you did. You're among the greats of all time. But that doesn't mean everyone else is beneath you!"

Kurt: "Yeah it does. I'm the best in the WWE. By default, everyone's beneath me."

Eric: "Even Matt Hardy? You know, the CHAMP? How about Eddie Guerrero, who beat you at WrestleMania? Or heck -- what about Paul London, who pinned you two weeks ago? Are they beneath you, too? Tell ya what -- tell me what it takes for someone NOT to be beneath you."

Piper: "Well, how bout it, hotstuff?"

Kurt: "Let's see them succeed with a broken neck. Let's see them fight when they can barely walk. Let's see them face a sadistic bastard who has no concern for human life when one false move leaves them in a wheelchair. And let's see them do it in their hometown, with all the pressure of family, friends, and an entire locker room cheering them on, and an entire nation looking to you to uplift its spirit! THEN we can talk about being better. Not before!"

Piper: "Kurt... Kurt, lemme ask... do you expect gratitude?"

Kurt: "Hell yes! I expect all sorts of gratitude! I've been a real American hero, not some action figure! All the crap I get from all these people... they just forget what I've done for this company! They forget how I've sacrificed my time, and nearly my ability to walk, in order to keep these sadistic bastards happy! This is what I do! This is why I'm here! Like the ad says, Roddy, tell me I'm fake! Tell me I don't matter!"

Eric: "KURT! We all do that. Every last one of us in the back steps out into that arena with the full realization that every match could be our last. You think that doesn't bother me, seeing what you've been through and knowing I could face the same fate? You think it doesn't bother me that I could be out -- not for two months -- but for a year or more if one move goes wrong? I entered the WWE so I could do this for a living... and yeah, I made my name on you. But now, I'm gonna make MY name. We'll be equals! We'll be the greatest wrestling family that ever lived! BIGGER than the Harts! BIGGER than the Von Erichs! BIGGER than the..."

Kurt: "I ALONE am bigger than any of those families, and don't you try to leech some sort of immortality off of me!"

Eric: "You think I need you to prove I'm good?"

Kurt: "I know you need me to prove..."

Piper: "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, children! Settle down! Ya don't want Uncle Roddy to give ya a timeout, do ya? Now c'mon... if ya all feel that way, then how's about you get in the ring and settle it. Nah... I got a better idea. How's about you get in the Survivor Series ring. Cuz ya see, each of ya has got allies. And that's what Survivor Series is all about -- alliances, teams, working together... so Kurt, it'll be you, Brock Lesnar, Charlie Haas, and Shelton Benjamin. And Eric, I want you, Edge, Tajiri, and Scott Colt. And we're gonna see which of you guys is the better captain of a TEAM! Now get in the ring right now, cuz I wanna give these fans a preview, and I'll be damned if I'm letting your petty little squabbling stop me!"

- In the esteemed words of that social philosopher Ron Simmons: Damn.

- Unfortunately, the match goes nowhere, as Brock runs in two minutes in and Edge follows to even the sides, but that draws World's Greatest Tag Team in. Mike Barton joins the fun to make it 5-on-2, but all three Dangerous Alliance members follow and it's a mess. Huge trainwreck as everyone hits everything in rapid succession, ending with Ultimo Dragon of all people standing tall. End of show.

The Bottom Line:

Well, this has been a hell of a week, hasn't it? No match lower than *1/4, and even that had an important angle in it. I mean, 10 matches averaging **1/4, which is almost unheard-of in terms of TV, makes me AMPED to watch the Survivor Series. And if they give each match time -- I mean, the elimination matches need to go 10 at least -- it's gonna be a slam dunk Thumbs Up.

So of course, each match will be unforgivably short, because that's the WWE for ya.

SMACKDOWN BOOKERS REJOICE, for I am putting you back to work.

Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin)

vs.

Team Angle (Eric Angle, Edge, Scott Colt, Tajiri)

Go nuts.

Guest y2gudge

I did enjoy both Raw & SD! this week as both have got me looking forward to Survivor Series, if you can do the matches justice then it will definitely be up there in the top three PPV's of the year, maybe even numero uno...

*y2gudge*

Not to get people nervous or anything, but I'm still waiting on my committees for help.  If I don't hear from them soon, I may have to go it alone and forfeit their prize :(

Not trying to be pushy or anything, but I don't want to have this diary stall into oblivion.

Dukes