Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So potentially ending a players career is now the same as a player intentional handball on the line?

Taylor had the intent of getting him. I'm sure he didnt mean to break his leg but it was clear he knew he was going to get him as if saying, its not going to be easy today.

Complete bollocks, watch it in real time. He's not that far away from getting the ball, Eduardo was just too quick for him. Those stills that are floating about paint completely the wrong picture, and it's a shame that Taylor is now getting demonised because certain media outlets have suddenly decided to get on their high horse.

He didn't intend to hit him, he went for the ball but it was just a poor challenge. You can't ban players just because of an injury, because you're suggesting that if Eduardo hadn't been injured then the tackle would have somehow been better.

And you sound like Wenger, going on about murder and killing people. Stop being so melodramatic.

Edited by Boxy

I'll use a completely unrelated example (Admitadly is a little extreme but the same criteria applys). Taylor had the intent of catching Eduardo but not injuring him. How would you feel if someone used that as a defence for murder? I only ment to shoot him at him, not hit & kill him. You wouldent get away with it, why should Taylor get away with breaking a players leg when he had every intention of hitting Eduardo?

Why did the referee play advantage, wait for Chelsea to fuck it up and then go back for the free kick?

Fuck Taylor.

He's worse than OJ.

:shuriken:

Well OJ only killed people, Taylor broke Eduardo damnit!!! :crying:

How are people making judgements about 'intent'? How can you possibly know what he was thinking and is that even relevant to the length of ban? The entire purpose of a ban is to cut down on the dangerous tackles, no matter what's going through the player's head. You can't legislate for 'intent,' you can only make decisions based on the tackle itself. Likewise, when deciding what kind of punishment the defender should get, the injury sustained is irrelevant, it's the tackle. It's the same problem with penalty decisions and diving - the referee should be looking at whether the defending player committed a foul, not whether the attacking player went to ground.

Taylor was very close to getting the ball, it was a situation where Eduardo got a touch on the ball just beforehand, making it look like Taylor's tackle was worse than it was. Compare a scenario where a defender makes a tackle and misses by a couple of inches, which is one kind of faulty timing, to another where the tackle's perfectly timed but the attacking player gets a touch a fraction of a second before the tackle comes in. Neither is necessarily more poorly timed than the other, but in the situation where the player gets a touch, the ball is further away and the tackle is seen to be worse by the crude 'how far away the ball was when contact's made' standard.

The FA should look at the tackle in real time and look purely at Taylor's tackle, how far away from success the tackle was and how high his foot was. Also taken into account should be the fact that he went in 'studs up,' the damage to Eduardo is completely irrelevant.

How are people making judgements about 'intent'? How can you possibly know what he was thinking and is that even relevant to the length of ban? The entire purpose of a ban is to cut down on the dangerous tackles, no matter what's going through the player's head. You can't legislate for 'intent,' you can only make decisions based on the tackle itself. Likewise, when deciding what kind of punishment the defender should get, the injury sustained is irrelevant, it's the tackle. It's the same problem with penalty decisions and diving - the referee should be looking at whether the defending player committed a foul, not whether the attacking player went to ground.
Edited by 'Wildcat' BSIG

Why not just ban tackling all together? That would solve everything.

Taylor slid in along the ground and went in with one foot. He hardly 'dived into the tackle', he went for the ball but Eduardo was too quick.

Seriously, watch the video.

Edited by Boxy

How did he slide? Sliding suggests he went along the ground with one foot out. He went into it on his knee, stuck the foot out and got Eduardo's leg by accident instead. I've seen the bloody clip enough times to have made a decision on it. I'm not saying it like he ran 30 yards and kung-fu kicked the fucker - I'm sorry if it comes across like that. What I'm saying is that you can't go into tackles like that - even if it was a mistake.

And it's not banning tackling or destroying the game anyway to even dare suggest maybe players need to show a little more care, is it? I can accept in this instance that it wasn't Taylor being a dick, because I'm sure he's upset right now and doesn't deserve to be vilified by the country for it. However, it is something that is commonplace in British football these days and must be dealt with instead of stupid pissing bookings for "disent".

I disagree with Hansen as well - Gallas is not a robot like you, you amazing little pundit, you.

How did he slide? Sliding suggests he went along the ground with one foot out. He went into it on his knee, stuck the foot out and got Eduardo's leg by accident instead. I've seen the bloody clip enough times to have made a decision on it. I'm not saying it like he ran 30 yards and kung-fu kicked the fucker - I'm sorry if it comes across like that. What I'm saying is that you can't go into tackles like that - even if it was a mistake.

And it's not banning tackling or destroying the game anyway to even dare suggest maybe players need to show a little more care, is it?