Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/08/2019 at 21:43, Ollie said:

I'm super excited to play through VIII again. It's my least favourite of the golden year FF games, but I hated XIII and XV so it'll be good to get that bad taste out of my mouth.

Also it'll be the first time I've played it in about 10 years or so. So that's very exciting. I replay VII and IX almost annually at this point, and it's only been a few years since I did X and XII.

Can't wait to go to space for reasons and get unreasonably angry at Irvine for not telling everyone the twist two discs earlier.

Also can't wait to hear a bunch of 'IS SQUALL DEAD!?' conspiracy theories again.

Add the fact that Irvine was trying to crack into his childhood friend who is clearly suffering from amnesia... yeah Irvine is a twat

I played the FFVII remake demo at PAX. Pretty good. Gonna take me a couple hours to get used to the ATB controls. I seemed to handle Guard Scorpion quicker than the people playing around me but that was still with a ton of fumbling on my end.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I played the FFVII remake demo at PAX. Pretty good. Gonna take me a couple hours to get used to the ATB controls. I seemed to handle Guard Scorpion quicker than the people playing around me but that was still with a ton of fumbling on my end.

Did the others attack when its tail was up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The wild thing is that they kind of did away with that. Like, you still don't want to attack it when its tail is up but it's not a counterattacking measure so much as it's charging a massive attack and you need to get to cover before it fires. There's something about the fact that they got rid of the one thing that people remember about that boss that makes me pretty excited.

• Like 2

Started the FFVIII remaster this morning. Only played for about half hour but here are my top level thoughts:

• The character models look amazing, they've really put some love into it, way more than the VII or IX remaster.
  • The junction system is still the most incredibly broken mechanic in a FF game.
  • That opening FMV is still the hypest shit I've ever seen.
  • Squall is still a moody little prick.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ollie said:

Started the FFVIII remaster this morning. Only played for about half hour but here are my top level thoughts:

• The character models look amazing, they've really put some love into it, way more than the VII or IX remaster.
  • The junction system is still the most incredibly broken mechanic in a FF game.
  • That opening FMV is still the hypest shit I've ever seen.
  • Squall is still a moody little prick.

I need this,.

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

I've already broken the game. 100 Water in strength for Squall and Quistis just after the fire cavern.

I've just completed the Dollet mission and Squall has 100 Tornado's on strength. He's hitting for 1000 already. :lol:

I wish I had the self-restraint to stop myself from getting this OP, but I don't. Not even a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

I've just completed the Dollet mission and Squall has 100 Tornado's on strength. He's hitting for 1000 already. :lol:

I wish I had the self-restraint to stop myself from getting this OP, but I don't. Not even a little.

Not when there are trophies to be had!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

Not when there are trophies to be had!

The trophy list is actually a bit shit for FFVIII. Not in the same way as it was shit for IX (jump rope and 10,000 enemies was a slog), but it's just a bit uninspired.

Still, it looks like a real easy platinum, and it doesn't look like I'll have to go out of my way to get it either. No ridiculously grindy ones (1,000 enemies shouldn't be much of a pain) either.

Niner, you'd love it.

So remember that time I said Tetra Master was better than Triple Triad? Well I've been playing a bunch of Triple Triad and I've come to a conclusion...

Spoiler

Fuck Triple Triad.

Like, the game itself is super fun and refining cards is ridiculous OP. But the rule changes stuff, fuck I don't understand it not even one little bit.

Tetra Master might have been a bit on the random side but fuck, at least it was self contained and not overly complicated.

Even reading guides on how to get rid of the random rule, I just don't understand it at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

So remember that time I said Tetra Master was better than Triple Triad? Well I've been playing a bunch of Triple Triad and I've come to a conclusion...

Hide contents

Fuck Triple Triad.

Like, the game itself is super fun and refining cards is ridiculous OP. But the rule changes stuff, fuck I don't understand it not even one little bit.

Tetra Master might have been a bit on the random side but fuck, at least it was self contained and not overly complicated.

Even reading guides on how to get rid of the random rule, I just don't understand it at all.

Fuck you!

• Haha 1

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when it came to plotting and writing FFVIII. Because the story through the first disc is genuinely excellent, and arguably the most intriguing opening to a FF game ever. The world building is great and the plot threads it opens are pretty much all fantastic.

And then 'PLEASE INSERT DISC 2' flashes on screen and it all goes to literal shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when it came to plotting and writing FFVIII. Because the story through the first disc is genuinely excellent, and arguably the most intriguing opening to a FF game ever. The world building is great and the plot threads it opens are pretty much all fantastic.

And then 'PLEASE INSERT DISC 2' flashes on screen and it all goes to literal shit.

Sometimes I feel like it had 2 different writers. Someone wrote the first disc and then passed it to the next person who only read the last paragraph and then did the entire rest of the game. Kind of like what happens when Reflecto gets involved in a mass project in the dome :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2