Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Chapter 2

Hide contents

I have a sneaking feeling all is not the same with Sephiroth as it was in the original. "Her body shuddering on cold steel"? Is he really talking about Cloud's mum like is implied... Or is he talking about Aerith?

Oh shit. I didn't think about that.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expanding the slums was a masterstroke. They and Midgar feel like an actual bustling environment in a way that obviously wasn't possible in the original but the whole place is dripping with atmosphere and the Avalanche gang feel like real characters now. Combat is great and keeps you involved every second but you can get your head kicked in if you're not careful. Game is good, I can recommend it.

• Like 1

I remember when the Crash Bandicoot remake came out a couple years ago. It was amazing. The best compliment I could give it was that it looked exactly like how 7 year old me remembered it looking in 1996.

The FFVII Remake goes one better, it fills in the gaps that were in the original and is exactly what 8 year old me imagined it could be. It's perfect, and I absolutely had a lump in my throat when it started.

Chapter Two spoilers:

It's the little things that are already making this so fantastic. Like - in the original, I never really got the sense of the impact that AVALANCHE were having on 

other people. It was very much a "they're obviously the good guys!" message, but just showing the way that people were affected by the explosion (even if it wasn't AVALANCHE's "fault") really hit home that this isn't a straight good/evil thing they're good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I remember when the Crash Bandicoot remake came out a couple years ago. It was amazing. The best compliment I could give it was that it looked exactly like how 7 year old me remembered it looking in 1996.

The FFVII Remake goes one better, it fills in the gaps that were in the original and is exactly what 8 year old me imagined it could be. It's perfect, and I absolutely had a lump in my throat when it started.

I had two lumps. One in my throat and one in my pants.

it's nice to see that people are enjoying this. I'm about 20 hours in now and am still happy. The game seems to retain the mixture of impactful character development, the sense of atmosphere and scale and the occasional zaniness of the original. As I said before, I'm absolutely expecting a backlash at some stage from die-hard fans of the first game, but that doesn't bother me.

I've been watching streams of it and reading peoples' thoughts. Am I correct in thinking (some major spoilers in here if you haven't finished)

Spoiler

There's wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff going on? Cloud goes back in time and saves Zack's life, creating a bunch of time paradoxes?

5 hours ago, Ruki said:

I won darts!

Same! Sucked on my first two attempts but nailed it by the third.

Chapter Four spoilers:

I can't work out if the instructions weren't right or what was going on, but that motorcycle chase took 

forever. I just couldn't catch up to a lot of the enemies, even though I was holding accelerate down.

8 hours ago, Katsuya said:

Same! Sucked on my first two attempts but nailed it by the third.

Chapter Four spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

You have to use the range attacks.

I've finished the game. All in all, it was a good time. Some parts didn't quite land as well as they did in the original, but others were definitely more impactful.

Spoiler
18 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I've been watching streams of it and reading peoples' thoughts. Am I correct in thinking (some major spoilers in here if you haven't finished)

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It was quite ambiguous. There's definitely something or other to do with alternate timelines going on, but I don't think Cloud went back in time specifically. The party fought and defeated what represented destiny (which some have suggested refers to the canon of the original game), meaning that, in a certain timeline, Zack survived. What that means moving forward is anyone's guess.

The ending is fresh in my mind, but my first instinct is to be a little disappointed. If it's explained adequately in the next game, fair enough, but what makes me wary is that Nomura's at the helm this time. Give him too much creative freedom and you get Kingdom Hearts.

If there's a big outcry from fans, perhaps Square Enix will back off a bit and make a sequel that's faithful to its source material. Maybe that's still their plan. Who knows?

Early chapter 8 speculation/spoiler:

he had a vision/flashback of Aerith dying and dropping Holy. I'm thinking this has already happened vs. Cloud getting images of the future. Things are going to be very different. I'm doubtful Aerith will even die this time around.

Loving this game.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Can someone explain how to do The Stagger Effect Pt.1 to me? Collecting the data for this dude has seemed easy so far but I don't get this one

Stagger an enemy, then switch to Punisher mode and let an ATB bar fill up. That will increase it by one. If you can't do it to the enemies you are currently facing, there's a VR Intel Mission you can do later that makes it easier.

Spoiler

Fat Chocobo.

• Like 1