Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just completed the game and I really enjoyed it probably one of my favourite games I've played in a while. I never really played the original fully as I was quite young. Final Fantasy 9 was my first true FF experience 

Ending:

Spoiler

I was quite confused at first as to what was going on but reading inbetween the lines and having read up on a few things, some bits have clicked in my head.
It seems that The Whispers are pretty much the key part of "trying to make sure that destiny i.e the original game is followed through" and yet the final battle is the chance to change destiny. The Unknown Journey is pretty much a big give away of you think you know what will happen but you won't. Whilst I imagine the next one will keep in touch with some of the same source material I imagine a lot of it will be completely different too. There's a lot of flashbacks to previous and future events as well during it.

Destiny is the key theme running throughout of following it or changing it. I'm kinda glad that they aren't going to just follow the original as a carbon copy and it gives a chance to tell a new story whilst also retelling an old one. 

Chapter 14 spoilers:

Spoiler

So who did everyone get for the scene outside Aerith's house at the start of Chapter 14?

Didn't realise there were different options until just now, and it seems like it's totally this game's version of the date mechanics from the original.

First time round I got Tifa, and the scene where she hugs Cloud and I thought that was what everyone got because holy shit, what a powerful scene.

But in my hard playthrough I just got Barret and it was also incredibly moving. I've not seen it yet but there's a third one too, I don't know how it could be Aerith, but if it's following the date mechanics, I'm sure it must be?

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

Chapter 14 spoilers:

Hide contents

So who did everyone get for the scene outside Aerith's house at the start of Chapter 14?

Didn't realise there were different options until just now, and it seems like it's totally this game's version of the date mechanics from the original.

First time round I got Tifa, and the scene where she hugs Cloud and I thought that was what everyone got because holy shit, what a powerful scene.

But in my hard playthrough I just got Barret and it was also incredibly moving. I've not seen it yet but there's a third one too, I don't know how it could be Aerith, but if it's following the date mechanics, I'm sure it must be?

I got Aerith. She was basically astral projecting or a dream or something. Also an intense scene where she's like "you can't fall in love with me..."

Chapter 14:

Spoiler

I got Tifa - I assumed there must be something along the lines of the date mechanics, because there's still elements like "who do you go to first when you fall into the sewers at Corneo's place", and branching dialogue, but hadn't realised this was part of it. 

Definitely something to try and do differently on my next play-through, then.

Finished it.

Spoiler

There is a real ballsiness to making the villain of your years-in-the-making, hotly anticipated remake of one of the biggest RPGs ever the very concept of doing a by-the-book remake itself.

• Like 3

Something I've seen speculated;

Spoiler

The three Whispers you fight at the end - the three that I mentioned as being reflections of Cloud, Tifa and Barret because they're described as using swords, fighting bare-handed, and using a gun - may be supposed to be a foreshadowing of the three villains from Advent Children, as there's some shared terminology in terms of what some of their attacks are called. I hope not, as I don't want to have to remember stuff from the expanded universe to make sense of what's going on, and hope it's just typical Final Fantasy reusing names for a hundred different things.

23 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Something I've seen speculated;

Hide contents

The three Whispers you fight at the end - the three that I mentioned as being reflections of Cloud, Tifa and Barret because they're described as using swords, fighting bare-handed, and using a gun - may be supposed to be a foreshadowing of the three villains from Advent Children, as there's some shared terminology in terms of what some of their attacks are called. I hope not, as I don't want to have to remember stuff from the expanded universe to make sense of what's going on, and hope it's just typical Final Fantasy reusing names for a hundred different things.

Spoiler

If it is a connection to Advent Children, I wouldn't see it as anymore than a nod. The whole game is a love letter to the whole FFVII universe, with some references to everything from the original to Dirge of Cerebrus. I wouldn't look too deeply into it.

Also, I'm now only two trophies away from the platinum. All that's left is last Shinra combat simulator fight and then the last two chapters on Hard.

What an absolute journey it's been.

• Like 2

I am just about to get to Stormblood in Final Fantasy XIV, and man, everything with the Warriors of Darkness is just fantastic! It takes a while to really get good, but when it's good, it's GOOD. 

image.png

3 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

So I never played Final Fantasy. I was thinking about maybe getting this but someone told me it’s not the whole game. Is that true? And if so, why would they do that with a remastered game? 

It's not the whole story of the original Final Fantasy 7, but it's own 40-60 hour story (telling the same, but also very different story. Also diving deeper into the lore). People keep dragging the game saying it's 'not complete' when it is. Do you (not you, but the general you) think Mass Effect 1 is lesser for having its story spread out among 3 titles? God Of War? Assassin's Creed? Uncharted? Kingdom Hearts? Etc...

Think of it as the first part of an epic story. It's well worth playing, and this is coming from someone who didn't really care for the original. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

why would they do that with a remastered game? 

Money.

In all seriousness, I don't know how FF7 Remake would go down with someone who hadn't played the original version. Unlike, say, the recent Resident Evil remakes, which were presented as definitive versions to supersede the games on which they're based, FF7 Remake serves as more of a companion piece to the old PS1 game. Most of it is perfectly comprehensible on its own, but the stuff the game throws out at the end would be a lot more difficult to make sense of if you're not familiar with the source material.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ruki said:

Do you (not you, but the general you) think Mass Effect 1 is lesser for having its story spread out among 3 titles? God Of War? Assassin's Creed? Uncharted? Kingdom Hearts? Etc...

I mean, those aren't fair comparisons. Those all provide a satisfying ending for that particular part. This is very much a "to be continued" ending. I'm as big an FF fanboy as anyone and I'm fine with it being split up in order to expand the lore and scope of the game, but let's not pretend this is the "complete" game in terms of story.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm playing FF4 for the first time... the pacing feels really fast. Or is that just me not being used to the classic FF titles anymore? I just turned into the paladin! Although I miss the strength of the dark knight. And I thought I would get way more Dragoon time in this game, I am disappoint. 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2020 at 05:08, Rukaru Shida said:

I'm playing FF4 for the first time... the pacing feels really fast. Or is that just me not being used to the classic FF titles anymore? I just turned into the paladin! Although I miss the strength of the dark knight. And I thought I would get way more Dragoon time in this game, I am disappoint. 

FFIV does move very fast, arguably the fastest of all the games (it being one of my favourites, I will also admit that it also falters in the final third) but newer games are also a lot slower. I notice it whenever I play anything pre-X (to some degree X-2 and XIII are slower, but it's not as noticeable). I don't know if it's games as a whole getting slower or what, but there's definitely a story pace change.

• Like 1