Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

New patch released today which I believe is the last full patch before the new expansion for FFXIV. Introducing Diamond Weapon Trial and man this boss looks hella hard but hella fun as well. You have to teleport between platforms to avoid attacks, but the teleporters have a cool down which means you've got to be very coordinated when you do it.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started playing FF14 myself (PC and NA) after coming over from my first dive into an MMO with ESO on PS4 and while I'm finding FF14 a little more difficult to wrap my head around all the bells and whistles it's definitely seems to be extremely user friendly. 

This being my first PC game I'm definitely struggling with the keyboard instead of the mouse when it comes to fighting but other than that I'm starting to get the hang out it. I was a tank on ESO and never had any issues with the tank anxiety you guys talk about but tanking in that game was pretty easy but couldn't imagine trying to do it yet on this game. 

I'm currently doing my main as a White Mage but plan to be a Dragoon as my secondary class along with Botany and weaving are the other two I'm focusing on. They really did a fantastic job with it

2 minutes ago, Trey said:

I just started playing FF14 myself (PC and NA) after coming over from my first dive into an MMO with ESO on PS4 and while I'm finding FF14 a little more difficult to wrap my head around all the bells and whistles it's definitely seems to be extremely user friendly. 

This being my first PC game I'm definitely struggling with the keyboard instead of the mouse when it comes to fighting but other than that I'm starting to get the hang out it. I was a tank on ESO and never had any issues with the tank anxiety you guys talk about but tanking in that game was pretty easy but couldn't imagine trying to do it yet on this game. 

I'm currently doing my main as a White Mage but plan to be a Dragoon as my secondary class along with Botany and weaving are the other two I'm focusing on. They really did a fantastic job with it

Are you an online gamer by nature? My tank anxiety doesn't so much come from the role itself as much as it comes from the amount of pressure that comes with the role. The thing is though is that Tanking is different across different games to be honest. I've had no issues tanking in this game because most things are pretty straight forward. When it comes to Dungeons, you can basically pull everything and as long as you mitigate correctly and move out of things you shouldn't stand in then you're fine. Point the enemies away from the group and you're gucci. So yeah, tanking in this game so far has been a breeze. I know that once you get into Raids and such it's a bit harder but it's nowhere near the difficulty of tanking in a game such as World Of Warcraft. In that game, the tank is responsible for everything and it's not just a matter of pull everything and kill. So yeah, tank anxiety in this game is much less about the role and my own personal anxiety towards working with people. I hate to screw up and let people down.

It's funny to me that you say you couldn't imagine tanking in this game, but you're starting with a White Mage since healing is 10x more difficult than tanking in this game from what I've heard from talking to people. I despise healing in any game and this one seems so much weirder even just because of the UI set up. I'm the kind of guy who wants to worry about keeping himself alive, not everyone in the party.

One of the best things about this game is that you can play every single job on one character. You can't optimize every single job but you don't really need to either. I do have 3 different toons just because I wanted one on each server but my Main is on Primal (Excalibur). I began playing this game simply because I want to play Gunbreaker. It's not available until after Level 50 but that's what I'm shooting for. I also want to level Machinst after that for DPS. Eventually I'll level everything but those are the two that I plan to play most.

The main storyline is a little slow but I'm told it gets a lot better once you get out of ARR, which is somewhere around the first 50 levels since they made it easier to level.

19 hours ago, Forky said:

Are you an online gamer by nature? My tank anxiety doesn't so much come from the role itself as much as it comes from the amount of pressure that comes with the role. The thing is though is that Tanking is different across different games to be honest. I've had no issues tanking in this game because most things are pretty straight forward. When it comes to Dungeons, you can basically pull everything and as long as you mitigate correctly and move out of things you shouldn't stand in then you're fine. Point the enemies away from the group and you're gucci. So yeah, tanking in this game so far has been a breeze. I know that once you get into Raids and such it's a bit harder but it's nowhere near the difficulty of tanking in a game such as World Of Warcraft. In that game, the tank is responsible for everything and it's not just a matter of pull everything and kill. So yeah, tank anxiety in this game is much less about the role and my own personal anxiety towards working with people. I hate to screw up and let people down.

It's funny to me that you say you couldn't imagine tanking in this game, but you're starting with a White Mage since healing is 10x more difficult than tanking in this game from what I've heard from talking to people. I despise healing in any game and this one seems so much weirder even just because of the UI set up. I'm the kind of guy who wants to worry about keeping himself alive, not everyone in the party.

One of the best things about this game is that you can play every single job on one character. You can't optimize every single job but you don't really need to either. I do have 3 different toons just because I wanted one on each server but my Main is on Primal (Excalibur). I began playing this game simply because I want to play Gunbreaker. It's not available until after Level 50 but that's what I'm shooting for. I also want to level Machinst after that for DPS. Eventually I'll level everything but those are the two that I plan to play most.

The main storyline is a little slow but I'm told it gets a lot better once you get out of ARR, which is somewhere around the first 50 levels since they made it easier to level.

As someone with like half of the classes at 80 now, healing is way more chill than tanking in FFXIV. I love both, but healing is just doing a simple DPS rotation most of the time and then hitting one either AOE or single target heal button once people take enough damage to warrant it. I quite enjoy it but compared to something like WoW, healing is far and away the easiest role in this MMO. You have to pay attention, but once you know what you're doing it's actually less work than DPSing.

Tanking is super chill in FF though, you're right. Unfortunately in raids it's also kind of boring, until you're doing Savage raids, if you're not the main tank you're basically a less effective DPS, as there's not really as many tank tactics as WoW has (and WoW doesn't even have much!).

I enjoy FFXIV for different reasons than WoW, it's a much more chill time, but when it comes to challenges I think WoW has a better curve. FFXIV is like... everything is easy, then the first bit of hard content (Savage Raids) is much more punishing than WoW raids. A raid in FF is more like a game in memorising the tactics and executing them flawlessly - almost like a dance, where as a raid in WoW, even on Heroic, has more room for mistakes. Standing in the bad in WoW will see you lose half your health, but you can be healed back up. In FF, you'll die instantly, then you won't be in position to soak a mechanic the second afterwards and you'll wipe the raid.

GNB is awesome btw, most fun tank by far for my money - definitely worth getting there.

As with everyone else, I'll echo the sentiment of anyone interested should stick with it, every expansion is better than the last with Shadowbringers being, for my money, the best Final Fantasy story, maybe ever?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll be waiting awhile for a sale, since I'm not paying $60 for a PS5 upgrade (got the game for free thru PS Plus). I don't mind paying money for an upgrade, but $60+ is way too much.

Stranger of Paradise demo is out and I'm seeing mostly positive reception (after that dismal E3 showing). It's people I follow on social media largely because of their video game opinions so that's a bonus.

I'm hoping to procure a PS5 in one of the next few drops to get FFVII:RI (love that abbreviation). I'll be back in this thread then...

• Like 1

Oh, so they fixed it? I saw in the immediate aftermath of it coming out that the demo didn't even work.

But yeah, as I said in the E3 thread, that trailer was atrocious on many levels.