Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

2 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

I was 11 years old I thought I could revive Aerith and the Lara Croft nude cheat existed. 

Hey I know for a fact that a guy on one of the predecessor message boards to this one was able to revive Aerith in the Japanese version of the game, but they removed it for the western audience. A fact! 

• Haha 3

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Hey I know for a fact that a guy on one of the predecessor message boards to this one was able to revive Aerith in the Japanese version of the game, but they removed it for the western audience. A fact! 

The amount of rumours that used to be around games all the time as a kid was crazy. There was always one kid who had every game but could never tell you anything about them.

I remember a PS Magazine ran an article telling how the story of FF8 was going to be a direct sequel of FF7.

It may not have been FFIX but I feel like it was. One of the old magazines ran with some leaked character designs for the "next" Final Fantasy that were basically unverified and then I seem to recall they had their caveat in the final sentence that absolved them of anybody coming after them if the images were just bullshit someone put on the Internet (which they were).

• Like 1

I've talked on here before about knowing someone who is now in their late 30s, if not early 40s, who still insists that she revived Aeris and unlocked Zack as a playable character in FF7. 

In terms of first playing it - FF7 was my first JRPG, never knew anything about the genre. I had just started a new school, got talking games with a kid I befriended; I had been playing Little Big Adventure 2, he had been playing Final Fantasy 7. LBA2 felt huge to me at the time - it was relatively open world, had some RPG dynamics, and had a fun point where you go to another world and have to use a different currency - and I assumed FF7 would be a similar game, but it was just so much bigger and broader and I was completely blown away by it.

I had played RPGs before, but it was stuff like The Bard's Tale, some Ultima knock-offs, or more recently Diablo, never anything like a Final Fantasy. FF7 was a complete obsession for a couple of years - my first online communities were around it, every conversation at school was FF7, Starcraft, or Metal Gear Solid for a year or two there. It was, and really still is, my baseline of what an RPG should be - I started getting into emulation and retro games purely to go back and play previous Final Fantasy games, and found so many other great games because of that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

I've talked on here before about knowing someone who is now in their late 30s, if not early 40s, who still insists that she revived Aeris and unlocked Zack as a playable character in FF7. 

I remember a rumour that if you got to level 99 before leaving Midgar that either Zack would join your party or Cloud would become Zack.

I actually tried the challenge over a summer holiday and got to about level 56 before becoming utterly bored by the grind. I think I did the maths on it too shortly before the point of quitting and realized it was going to take an insane amount of time.

Another memory I have is completely boning myself the first time I played FFVII because, for some reason, I felt like using magic was cheating. So I didn't ever equip materia. I got to the prison in the Golden Saucer before the game became too difficult. A friend clued me in that I should be using materia so I just started again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

I remember a rumour that if you got to level 99 before leaving Midgar that either Zack would join your party or Cloud would become Zack.

I actually tried the challenge over a summer holiday and got to about level 56 before becoming utterly bored by the grind. I think I did the maths on it too shortly before the point of quitting and realized it was going to take an insane amount of time.

Another memory I have is completely boning myself the first time I played FFVII because, for some reason, I felt like using magic was cheating. So I didn't ever equip materia. I got to the prison in the Golden Saucer before the game became too difficult. A friend clued me in that I should be using materia so I just started again.

Level 99 is a new one on me, but it is the kind of thing that used to get made up about games all the time - something that is ostensibly achievable, but that so few people will bother doing that it's not at all worth the effort to disprove. 

The main rumours for Zack that I can remember related to the 1/35 Soldier - just people assuming that meaningless items must have purpose, and making the weirdest possible conclusions about it, along with good old-fashioned playground bullshit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

Level 99 is a new one on me, but it is the kind of thing that used to get made up about games all the time - something that is ostensibly achievable, but that so few people will bother doing that it's not at all worth the effort to disprove. 

The main rumours for Zack that I can remember related to the 1/35 Soldier - just people assuming that meaningless items must have purpose, and making the weirdest possible conclusions about it, along with good old-fashioned playground bullshit. 

I thought there were 35 of those 1/35 Soldiers and lost my fucking mind in my "main" game where I wound up getting everyone close to level 99 trying to do everything.

There were just 12 of them. And if I recall weren't they solely for decor in the stupidly expensive house you could buy in Costa del Sol?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I thought there were 35 of those 1/35 Soldiers and lost my fucking mind in my "main" game where I wound up getting everyone close to level 99 trying to do everything.

There were just 12 of them. And if I recall weren't they solely for decor in the stupidly expensive house you could buy in Costa del Sol?

yeah, so many of the rumours around them were entirely based on the assumption that there must be 35 of them because of the name - but the name is because they're 1/35 scale models. 

I only heard the Costa del Sol thing within the last couple of years, I don't even know if that's true, I just assumed they were a useless joke item.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jrhodes said:

For some reason I used to alwaysun away from most battles, unknowingly doing a low level run. I remember getting stuck on the Cargo Ship Jenova for about two weeks as her laser could one shot kill me. Also not realised I could destroy the pyramid/bubbles in a couple of boss fights making them exponentially harder too. 😂

My game became spamming summons and Comet2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit of a late one for Europeans, but it will still be there in the morning. I'm sure plenty of people would rather avoid it altogether to remain spoiler-free.

Speaking of the demo, I'm guessing it will be a slightly expanded version of the Kalm flashback. Square Enix is far from a perfect company, but I do appreciate their recent commitment to putting out free demos before release.

Oh no... it looks amazing. So many mini-games!

And they have confirmed multiple date possibilities in Gold Saucer! 

Demo is available now, but I think I will resist! But based on the trailer I'm worried about...

Spoiler

Aerith dying. I thought she might be spared because different timeline... but it looked like she was handing over Holy, and she wasn't in the scene where the whole group faced off against Sephiroth. 

It looks amazing but the State of Play also looked like it was going to spoil most of the cool moments from the game so I switched it off after a few minutes.

Not sure if I'll bother with the demo or not as I'm deep into Persona 3 Reload at the moment.

• Like 1