*SPOILERS* The Dark Knight *SPOILERS*

Guest Coowra

I think they mean the way it was pulled off, since it looked like something a kid with his toys would do rather than something that could actually happen.

Not the bike riding up the wall, but the way it went up, turned round, and then dropped looked really weird,

I think they mean the way it was pulled off, since it looked like something a kid with his toys would do rather than something that could actually happen.

Not the bike riding up the wall, but the way it went up, turned round, and then dropped looked really weird,

Exactly. Plausible and potentially possible event... horrible execution. It LOOKED cheesy as hell.

Just watched Batman Returns again and I believe the Penguin is an easily realistic character to pull off. If Nolan wants to follow down this path of Gotham corruption it's the most logical choice for a villian.

Want to add some explanation?

I guess the only reason I harp on this is there's a fine line between Penguin just being stereotypical Mob Boss #2 and actually, you know, being the Penguin. Even then, after Joker and Scarecrow/Rhas, it's hard to really pin him as a major villain or anything more than a background texture villain.

Why can't BATMAN seem like the villain for most of the third movie? Not insofar as actually attacking people and stuff, but I mean, that's how Gotham is going to see him. His redemption, if it happens in the next movie, is going to need to come at the hands of a pretty big villain.

The third Batman needs a strong, SINGLE villain with a patsy you don't have to do a lot of backstory (direct backstory, anyway) for. Superhero movies that try to focus on more than one villain more often than not end up being poor.

Finally saw this, by the way. LOVED it. May have to go back and see it on IMAX now.

So I watched Memento, here's a couple thoughts. For one, I want to make sure I got the jist of the movie right, I was good until the end when things got whacky, and my DVD player gets shit after it's been running for a while and stutters and pauses and shit, it's fucking horrible, so here's what I gathered:

So really, the whole movie he was being set up. Killing Teddy was a mistake as he was really a friend in some respect. He had already killed the real murderer before, and Teddy was using him to give him somethign to live for and benefit off him, correct? Also, the thing with his wife (great little cameo from CSI girl Jorja Fox, or role what have you), what the fuck with the insulin? So his story about Sammy Jankis was his story? Was there a Sammy Perkis and a whole insulin situation? I'm confused because he tells the story as part of his life before the brain disorder, so why would he have it confused with his own life if he can recall everything before the night of the attack? That's really what got me. It was that scene where he just kills that guy and Teddy shows up revealing all this I got a bit confused, so do I got it right?

Other then my slight confusion though, fan-fucking-tastic movie. I love movies such as this, thinkers, mysteries, etc.. I knew it'd be good because Chris Nolan is a great director and writer, but I was thoroughly impressed. It was a thriller, it was smart, well directed, genius and even funny when it needed to be. I loved such parts as (Pearce) "It can't be mine, I'm assuming they don't let guys like me carry these around...(walks off)" (Teddy)"I fucking hope not..." Or when he finds out who he think John G is and he just looks at the picture, "I found you, you're fucking dead now" Great movie overall, and great showing by Pearce.

I'm convinced now too more then ever that Pearce should be given the role of the Riddler (if there is one) and if they're smart and wait to reprise the Joker in a fourth installment, that job should be left to Depp. I think he could handle giving some honor to Heath's role rather then making a better off Riddler. I think Pearce could do that just fine. Plus it will stay somewhat in the mindset of using lesser known actors to shine on a big stage and awe us all. Plus I think Depp overall would be better suited to play the Joker.

That was my thoughts, now I'm gonna go watch Almost Famous and take another crack at Memento once I find a DVD player that isn't total shit.

If you were here quick enough you'd know why I edited. :shifty:

I missed this earlier, but as a huge Memento fan, I thought I'd comment.

The ending is intentionally pretty ambiguous, but the implication is that Lenny accidentally killed his wife, ended up in a mental institution (the screencap of Lenny faking recognition and DVD easter eggs and the old otnemem.com site support this) and got free hoping to get vengeance for his wife's death with help from Teddy. Teddy's line "it gets better every time you tell it" suggests that through repetition, Lenny has changed the story and convinced himself it's true. Since his wife died after his accident, he couldn't remember it anyway, and since he has constant reminders that he's separated from his wife, he's convinced himself that she died as he lost his memory. He turned the Sammy Jenkis story into a moral about the need to stay focused ("Yeah. I've got a reason.") and organized by subconsciously adding elements of his own story into a similar case.

What I love about the whole movie is that the first frame shows Lenny killing Teddy, and you spend the whole movie wondering who's responsible and whether Lenny was set up or who Teddy really is only to discover that Lenny set it up himself. Because after all, without his organizing mission, he doesn't have anything except a padded cell to go back to. Why else would he burn the picture of himself, pointing to his heart? He knows what that means (based on his conversations with Natalie and the "I've done it" tattoo in the fantasy at the end), but he can't accept it.

Just watched Batman Returns again and I believe the Penguin is an easily realistic character to pull off. If Nolan wants to follow down this path of Gotham corruption it's the most logical choice for a villian.

I guess the only reason I harp on this is there's a fine line between Penguin just being stereotypical Mob Boss #2 and actually, you know, being the Penguin. Even then, after Joker and Scarecrow/Rhas, it's hard to really pin him as a major villain or anything more than a background texture villain.

There's nothing about the Penguin character that keeps him from being portrayed in Nolan's work. He's just a guy with a deformation, no superpowers.

In all honesty I actually liked Max Shrek better than anyone in the flick.

Not to get into a big discussion, but while Returns is my favorite Batman movie, one major problem I had was that the so called villains didn't really come off as bad guys except for Shrek. Hell, by the end of the movie, I was feeling bad for Penguin. And I honestly don't know how Catwoman was suppose to be a villain either.

There's nothing about the Penguin character that keeps him from being portrayed in Nolan's work. He's just a guy with a deformation, no superpowers.

In all honesty I actually liked Max Shrek better than anyone in the flick.

Ugh. This is Tim Burton's fault. Penguin DOES NOT HAVE ANY DEFORMITIES. He is short, fat, and has a pointy nose. Nothing deformed about him. BUT, Mr. Burton just HAD to give him fucking lobster hands in Batman Returns and it was adopted into cartoons and SOME comics. But, Penguin originally had no deformities.

Wasn't he originally just an obese mob boss? He had all those high tech umbrellas and I thiiiink he got his name from the fact that he loved penguins and other types of bird.

He got the Penguin name from being picked on as a kid for being a short fat kid with a long nose. He's also one of the only Batman villains around that isn't insane. I can't see the character as he appears in the comics be anything other than a cameo; you could have somebody run the Iceberg Lounge that is short and fat and a criminal middle-man, but building a film around it? I don't see it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I didn't see anything about this with it's own thread, so I dug up everyones favorite thread of 2008 in the Movies & TV Lounge! Take this as you wish:

Septermber Interview with Aaron Eckhart on Harvey Dent/TDK

Interview with Eckhart about Harvey Two Face from Last Nights Golden Globe's Red Carpet

Personally, I never really thought Dent was dead. Nolan's a very smart man with his work, and not seeing a body and more of a memorial type of service meant something, to me. Also, it was a plausible enough angle to think he could be in a coma, or just simply recovering. I think he'll be back, in what capacity I don't know.

Thoughts?

I'd believe it simply based on the fact I loved Eckhart's performance as Dent and that I enjoy Eckhart in pretty much anything. It's plausible enough, but I'm not too sure where they could go with it from Dark Knights ending, maybe some kind of redemption story for Harvey, but I kind of liked that he was completely lost in the dark.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the Harvey Dent/Two Face character, so if they would bring him back I would be happy. However I don't see him returning for the next movie. From everything I have read, the next duo villians for Batman will be the Riddler(Johnny Deep) and Catman(Angelia). If Dent were to return, I think it would be a cameo, like what we saw in TDK with Scarecrow, with it being a possible tease it for Batman 4. Even at that, I believe the chances are higher you will see someone else return as the Joker, before Harvey Dent returns.

... However Nolan has done an amazing job with the first two, so whatever he does I am sure will be epic.