*SPOILERS* The Dark Knight *SPOILERS*

Guest Coowra

Here is another fan poster for the next movie. I like it alot, actually.

riddler.jpg

EDIT: oh, and i'll go ahead and cast my fantasy vote for Ed Norton as the Riddler.

Edited by Tristy

I really can see Nolan using the roided up Bane as his next villain. The only problem is if Bane breaks Batman's back, what happens? Do we introduce an Azrael to step in for Act II? Will fans accept Bane as a threat if he DOESN'T break Batman's back?

The name "Knightfall" even fits the trilogy they've set up. Maybe "Batman: Knightfall"...

I think Josh Brolin would make a spectacular Deadshot. Not big enough to carry his own film, but as a hired gun, he'd be tremendous.

I also have no problems with Phillip Seymour Hoffman making a cameo as the current take on Penguin. Batman will be working without the benefit of the Gotham PD in the next film, and it's likely he'll cultivate underworld informants and the like. The Penguin's been known to serve that role.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that they should never use Catwoman, but if they want box office success (and let's face it, this is a blockbuster series before it's about artistic integrity), I think they'd be wise to stay away from a character who's most recent appearance was a complete critical and commercial flop for at least a while until the memory of the Catwoman film has blown over. If they'd be prepared to completely restart Superman after one sub-par movie, I doubt they'd want to connect their current big franchise with an utter failure.

Personally I'd prefer to see them never use Catwoman at all, though, especially if Nolan doesn't care for her. I'm still not sure about The Riddler for the next villain, though (if indeed he will be), because he's more intrinsically tied to the campy character (skintight green spandex and all) than just about any other major character in the Batman universe bar Robin, so his character would need more of an obvious overhaul than The Joker to make the general public care about him, plus he falls into the same kind of evil prankster category of The Joker - it's another eccentric criminal leaving clues on the crime scene...it would be too similar a story, surely? I wouldn't mind seeing him as a minor villain, but it would be difficult to make him interesting enough as the main antagonist - although I would love to see Tennant portray him, and he has apparently expressed interest...but what kind of stock does he have in America?

After we saw Dark Knight, Mrs. Skummy and I sat down to work out who we reckoned should be the villain in the next film - assuming that Two-Face and Joker are out of the picture - and we were pretty stumped. We doubt they'll use Catwoman, for reasons already explained. Anyone with actual superpowers, or visible mutations like Croc, Clayface et al is out of the question. Harley Quinn is a possibility, but her character only really works as a subordinate to The Joker, not as a standalone villain. Mad Hatter is another "themed" villain, and another merry prankster type, and probably not a strong enough character to justify using as a central villain. Not too sure about Bane - not an interesting enough character to be the main villain, and with the Bruce Wayne/Batman character firmly established, we need an involving and interesting antagonist to hold our interest - not a big, lumbering brute. I wouldn't be against him appearing, but not as a central villain.

Really, it comes down to The Penguin, who could work, but only really in conjunction with another villain - he wouldn't be able to hold up in the physical side of villainy, and even a master criminal would ideally be able to hold their own in a climatic fight scene with Batman. Would work best as a constant thorn in the side while another villain, ideally a returning Two-Face (although possibly a debuting Riddler) doing the "grunt" work. Other than him, who? Black Mask? And, as I said about Riddler; Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler are three characters all very much tied in with the campier side of Batman, while Joker was always able to transcend that and be a little more sinister, they'd all need more work than Ledger's Joker ever did for people to take them seriously in the current chronology, in my opinion.

Edited by Skummy

Harley Quinn would work, given that the Joker is alive and wil most likly get some sort of psycho treatment. But it would be pritty lame to have the joker be right back (besides, the people are raving about the current one that much - you might argue bringing in a new actor to replace the joker would be bad publicety)

If Scarecrow works Poison Ivy would do to - but they are very much alike.

Catwoman could do the deal, after the first woman had been blown out of the picture. (explain me how CATwoman is more campy than BATman?)

Bane would be fun, but like Poison Ivy and catwoman he has been raped by the later movies.

Maybe Black Mask, but he´s a lot like the Joker was in this movie.

But hell, just go with the hat maker.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Thinking about it, is there any potential for Harley Quinn as a late-teenaged girl who is obsessed with the Joker to the point she's going on crime sprees to get him to notice her? Or is that pretty much what her character already is?

And perhaps a more dangerous villain of Quinn herself down the road. I could see that being a good story line for bringing the Joker back after the third, and some sort of alliance with him strengthening her as a foe.

What precisely is Harley Quinn's background and what not? What's her story?

She was a doctor at the Arkham Asylum, who over time began to become obsessed with Mr. J.

With her mind slowly deteriorating into madness, she eventually helped him escape the asylum, and they became one of comics' most famous couples.

For movie purposes, I'd have her be a teenage intern or something... like, a high school senior, working an internship at the Asylum, who becomes obsessed with the Joker. Have her be a background character, with the deterioration of her mind being something that is focused on throughout the film, until the end of the movie, where she shoots a couple of guards and helps Joker escape while Batman is dealing with whatever Big Bad they decide to use for #3.

What precisely is Harley Quinn's background and what not? What's her story?

She was the Jokers Psycho Doc. But that dosent realy mater to much since they pritty much made up a new joker for the movie anway. So i could see them reinventing anyone or any part of the story if they need it to. It´s kinda "Ultimate Batman" - just that it issent Marvel.

I think Harley Quinn works, especially if they have any cut dialogue of Heath Ledger as Joker. I mean, we don't actually have to SEE The Joker for his influence to be felt in the film. It'd be limiting, sure, but good acting can cover it.

For example, Harley reads a poem The Joker composed during therapy. It's creepy and psychotic and a little uncomfortably funny. The other psychiatrists are aghast. Harley proclaims it beautiful.

It remains true to the character as presented by Nolan and Ledger without needing Ledger to be physically present. Good writing, acting, and directing can make it work.

Unfortunately, Harley just doesn't have the chops to be a marquee villainess. I see the third movie having a sort of rogues gallery effect with NO one major villain. Mayyyybe The Riddler as chief antagonist trying to solve the riddle of "Who is Batman", perhaps for the authorities since Batman's an outlaw now.

I also think the gadgetry on display for The Dark Knight opens the door for a toned down Mr. Freeze. If he's a guy in a containment suit that can't survive at room temperature and has gadgets on par with Batman, it's a fair fight without being all cheezy with polar bears and penguins and shit like that. No one really calls "bullshit" on the tractor trailer full of liquid nitrogen in T2, do they? They could keep it on that level of action sci-fi.

A Joker impersonation. Haven't seen many of these, but this kids pretty decent. His mannerisms are pretty damn close along with the timing to what Heath actually did in the scene. On a more absurd note, on his comments people were calling him Heath.

Edited by Mike Ockizitchy