Antonio Puerta dies

Lord Nibbler

Isn't it really rare that somebody gets a heart attack, gets saved, then gets a heart attack again, then saved, then again, then saved, then 2 other attacks in a span of 45 minutes in the hospital. As if his heart really wanted to stop....really badly or whatever.

This sucks, RIP Puerta, he was good :(

Guest Ringmaster

He was dirty, cheated lots, rivaled John Terry in unpunished handballs and dived all over the place, much like pretty much all the players in the Sevilla starting XI. In fact, I may or may not have wished him ill more than a few times while watching Sevilla play >_>

But no one deserves to die for that.

Good bye, Puerta. You were still good nevertheless.

Yeah, apparently it was a rare heart condition that's hard to spot. It's sad, but if he was having problems (I can't see them testing him unless he was complaining about something), they should've stopped him playing until they'd thoroughly tested him. RIP Puerta.

RIP

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I thought I should point this out from the Wiki:

Indonesian star Mistar was trampled to death by a herd of pigs that stormed the pitch in 1995. His team were warming up for a forthcoming game. His funeral was attended by 50,000 fans.

My God, I actually watched it on TV and assumed he's be alright, possibly just serious dehydration. Very saddening.

I hope his passing is respected by all fans. Spanish fans, despite their sometimes rowdy reputation, are quite religious and hopefully they support his family well through this and don't disrespect any moments of silence.

No one that young and talented deserves to die. But I suppose there is some solace in that he died doing what he loved.

Resto en paz, Antonio Puerta.

Clive Clarke's news wasn't good at all. He collapsed in the dressing room so 6 ambulance crews ran in. Apparently they had to use a defibrilator (i'm not exactly sure what that is, something to do with his heart perhaps) but got him up and off to hospital. Apparently at the hospital he's alert but not talking much.

:(

Get well soon Clive.

It is strange that that their seems to have been a recent spate of this kinda occurence (well, several in the past decade or less, which is quite a bit IMO).

RIP Puerta.

Footballers Who Died While Playing

I think you're correct. There's a lot more in the 2000s than any other decade.

The first guy died while playing Grimsby Town FC... What an honour! :shifty:

And yeah, is this death week in football or something?