Antonio Puerta dies

Lord Nibbler

* Hernán Gaviria - was hit by a bolt of lightning during a training session for Deportivo Cali and was killed instantly on October 24, 2002.

* Flag of Colombia Giovanni Córdoba - was hit by a bolt of lightning during a training session for Deportivo Cali and died on October 27, 2002 due to his injuries.

:|

RIP Puerta.

Ray Jones died at the weekend too :(

A defibrilator (or however you spell it...), is that piece of equipment you always see on medical TV shows, with the two metal pads you rub together, then put to the patients chest and send an electric shock through them. It's to stimulate the heart. Obviously information is gonna be hard to come by until the hospital or someone makes a statement, but I hope he gets through it. Get well soon Clive.

Foe swallowed his tongue playing for Cameroon didnt he?

It was definitely shocking to hear about Clive, glad he's ok. My step-Mum didnt see why the Forest game was Abandoned, but after all thats happened recently I'm not surprised. Not been a very good start to the season in football.

Oh, and:

Flag of Indonesia Mistar- Indonesian star Mistar was trampled to death by a herd of pigs that stormed the pitch in 1995. His team were warming up for a forthcoming game. His funeral was attended by 50,000 fans.

:ohwell:

Edited by 1PWCorino

• Admin

* Hernán Gaviria - was hit by a bolt of lightning during a training session for Deportivo Cali and was killed instantly on October 24, 2002.

* Flag of Colombia Giovanni Córdoba - was hit by a bolt of lightning during a training session for Deportivo Cali and died on October 27, 2002 due to his injuries.

RIP Puerta.

I thought lightning never struck twice?

<_>

RIP Puerta.

I thought lightning never struck twice?

<_>

Same bolt, Cordoba died three days later.

What does everyone think of the possibility that the demanding schedules and higher amounts of games could be a cause for the increased amount of deaths?

This might not apply to the likes of Antonio Puerta so much with him having a hereditary condition anyway, but I can't imagine huge amounts of games, especially during warm days could have been all that good for his condition.

I would make a "Footballers on steroids, next on Nancy Grace" joke, but most people in this country don't give a damn about the sport, so I doubt they'd even cover it. College or Pro American Football, yeah. Soccer, no.

It does suck when anyone dies, but does anyone find it strange that a lot of the deaths have been due to heart attacks? Maybe the governing body should demand better physicals for their players so they can detect some of these problems. Like adding heart stress tests and other things so they can detect these anomalies before the players risk ending up dropping dead.

Edited by GhostMachine

Most of the heart problems have been really rare ones that are very hard to spot, so extra tests probably wouldn't do much good. I agree that Fifa have got to do something though, its been what 2 deaths in two days (related to heart problems) and 4 players just collapsing within a week (I seem to remember a young player, I think from Walsall, collapsing in training or something last week).