Official FA Cup Thread

Baddar

Great game to watch, I must admit.

And, I am gutted about losing, of course I am. But I'd say I'm just as gutted about that wanker Andy Gray calling the fact that Pompey would go on past United and win the trophy. It's not a certainty that they will, obviously, but I sense Gray is sat there with an "I told you so" look on his face at the moment.

Can't be arsed complaining about what should've been, as it'll only come across as bitter...

What I will say though, is how disappointing Nani was today. He seemed to do everything right until he got in and around the Pompey box, then went to pieces. He played about 2 balls in from the wing all day. The rest were very poor indeed.

I just hope to god Barnsley (Ok, it's not happening) beat Chelsea. I can't see any of the teams left in the competition doing a Spurs to them in the Final.

Ah well - We've still got the double to go for.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refereeing ineptity and poor substitutions aside, I'm finding it difficult to be overly gutted at that. We couldn't have done much more than we did, a combination of ridiculous luck and great defending just worked against us. Hey, it was Pompey's day... we all have days like it in football. I'll be supporting them for the rest of the competition, good luck to 'em.

And I agree on Nani, he was awful. Why we took Tevez off and left him on i'll never know. Also, as much as I love Carrick, he really isn't the player you need on the pitch when you're chasing a goal. He doesn't play quickly or urgently enough in situations likes that, the way that Hargreaves, Fletcher and Anderson all do.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

People complaining about the sending off, letter of the law kinda suggests he has to go. He may not have been the last man per se, but when the last man is just coming across the far post as the player is taken down, you've essentially got an open goal, goal-scoring oppurtunity so the ref has little choice. Harsh, maybe, but I can see why he went.

I wasn't overly happy with the complaints for a Ronaldo penalty, as I saw it as Diara cutting across him so he couldn't get the ball and Ronaldo going down a touch easily. But that's me.

Ferguson rants on the BBC website, if you wanna see it >_>

Ronaldo also revealed a lack of protection from officials had made him "scared" to play his natural game.

Yeah, boohoo, referees have stopped giving Cheaty McCheat freekicks everytime he slips on a bit of grass. He made his bed.

He most definitely made his bed, yes. And it's partly his fault I know, but it just annoys me that most of the time these days it takes someone to really clatter into him before he can win a FK.

And I know Ferguson can be a moaning bastard sometimes, but anyone who watched the game would surely see that it was justified today, even if it hasn't been in previous matches.

Who in their right mind would be a referee?

You don't give freekicks and you're criticised for not giving freekicks.

You blow the whistle for freekicks and you disrupt the flow of the game.

This is what pisses me off so much about Fergie, he thinks that there's a vendetta against Man Utd when there just isn't. Man Utd do get a lot of decisions given their way a lot of the time but Fergie ignores them, it's always they're being cheated and conned by referee's and everyone wants Arsenal to win or whatever. It's laughable and for me tarnishes his great reputation as a manager because it's tapered off by the fact he's a whinging bastard.

And Ronaldo can fuck off. I can't play my game because skilfull players get no protection. Ugh. Doing step overs doesn't give you more of a right to be 'protected' than anyone else, but no doubt at the end of the season Fergie will have something done. He's pretty much the reason we have "protecting the goal keeper" rule so strict that jumping in the penalty area can result in a free kick if the 'keeper misses the ball so then crashes to the ground.

Ugh. Keep giving us players though.

The referee was very poor in that game today. However, Man Utd simply didn't put the ball in the back of the net and that is no-one's fault but their own. Their luck ran out. Alright, it should have been a penalty and Kuszczak shouldn't have been sent off (he wasn't the last man, despite it being an excellent opportunity for Baros to score). But Fletcher should have blatantly scored himself and they had plenty of chances to put Portsmouth out. They were the better team, but it's one of those games that just didn't go there way. Not much you can do about that.

As for Barnsley, they are doing very well and full credit to them. Could it be possible? You never know!

FUCK I SPOKE TOO SOON! :o

Edited by 'Wildcat' BSIG

Whoa! Suddenly I'm not so pissed off about United losing to Pompy. ^_^

I'll say the same in about...ummmm, 7 minutes.

EDIT: I'm boldy calling the pitch invasion should Barnsley hold on. ^_^

Edited by Badd-um-tsch