Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Okay I just watched that match (along with a very biased commentator on the world feed....)

We were okay. O'Hara had a bit of a bad game and didn't boss the midfield enough for our formation to work.

Dawson was strong, Corluka was good going forward and Woodgate was decent.

Zokora was frighteningly great pushing forwards and I can't believe he got subbed.

Bentley had a good first half.

Lennon was excellent when he came on and really sparked us on.

Giovanni was great as well, running at the defence nicely.

Jenas blew a bit hot and cold but he made some nice through balls and the like.

Pavulachenko up front was just marooned. He can't play on his own and really needs someone to run off.

Gilberto was AWOL.

Assou-Ekotto just pumped long balls up to the portsmouth defence all game and was awful.

Bent got 17 minutes so what can you expect?!

We were robbed to not get the penalty. We went 1-0 to a penalty and then came out firing in the second half - our reward for all the hard work was what should have been a penalty (it was blatant) but it wasn't given. Our heads dropped a little as that was the second league game in a row where we should have got one....These things go against you when the season is going like it is for us.

Gomes made some smart saves and wasn't really at fault for the second.

I'm not afraid about us going down, I just don't want another bottom half finish.

We need more attacking options to be used. Playing one up front is horrible. Ramos didn't look like he cared and just sat their passively the whole game. The substitutions were generally suspect... (taking off Zokora and then bringing Bent on...for Pavlachenko).

Our players are playing fine. We're just not getting the rub of the green and our manager isn't playing the best players in the best positions. We look exciting going forward but our full backs were pumping balls up too often - especially Assou-Ekotto down the left.

So I'm no afraid, it'll come together and we'll do Hull at White Hart Lane next week when we go back to 4-4-2...

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Andy Gray you fucking moron, did you even bother to look at the replay or did you decide that the Palacios made a meal of it and therefore it couldn't be a penalty? Garrido only got a touch on the ball by playing through Palacios' foot and then committed a foul afterwards, that was a penalty. Gray has totally lost his mind in recent years, working in Sky's hype machine dissolved any kind of reserve he ever had. Every decision is 'unbelievable' simply because it went the way he disagreed with. Fucking clown with his constant 'tekaboosun' :mad:

Garrido is still playing? Couldn't City have paid over the odds for someone better on deadline day?

Didn't they sell Corluka on deadline day? Probably forgot to replace him.

Its a definite penalty regardless of the impressive leap with a mid air glance at the ref. How long do you reckon before players are brandishing imaginary yellow cards mid-dive?

And finally, as crap as things are at Newcastle these days, at least we're not Spurs. Top 4 next season maybe?

I tend to agree with that. Of course you have stupid fans of any club who over-hype their own clubs to extreme stupid levels but Toon and Spurs fans seem the worst for this. Not on EWB it has to be said but in general. That said, I will forever hate Sunderland fans till the day I die because of one of them. Petty? Yes but with good reason.