So, how do you feel about...

probablyoliver

Okay, so Tiarnabnidcbiodbiod's thread, as well as a current conversation with DMN has given me an idea for a thread here in the music forum...

Basically, it's just a plain ol' discussion thread. Every few days (or whenever conversation seems to die down), I'll post up a new band, and we can talk about how we feel about that band for a little while, and have a little bit of chit-chat about our favourite songs, whether we think they're as good as they're advertised and just generally what we think about them. It could work, it could not. Either way, it might get some good ol' fashion discussion going... I'm not going to be posting any links to stuff, but you can (as long as it's not illegal, lets keep it to myspaces/youtubes and whatnot)

First up, based purely on how the conversation started with DMN we're going to talk about one of my favourite bands, and one of the few bands I discovered when I was 12/13 and still visit frequently these days, 6/7 years later...

deftones.jpg

Deftones

Edited by The Great KhOllie

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I find the Deftones to be perfectly acceptable, but aside from a couple of songs, I can't seem to ever actually want to listen to them.

Still... they're one of those bands that I associate with high school, so popping in White Pony every once in awhile is nice. I haven't really been able to connect with the new stuff though. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't resonate with me.

I have never really been into Deftones much. They remind me too much of KoRn, and not that I dont like KoRn, it just isn't something I regularly listen to. Also I am more of growling / shreiking vocals kind of guy so therefore KoRn and Deftones never really appaealed to me.

And I don't like them, they look odd.

*facepalm*

I like Deftones singles (Be Quied and Drive, My Own Summer, Back to School (Epic track), Change) but outside of that I find their album tracks all kind of blend into one.

I used to be into the Deftones a whole lot a few years ago. I don't so much listen to them now but I still like them. To be me, they're a cross between Korn and Tool. And I find that to be a pretty good thing as I absolutely love Tool and I used to like Korn but have grown out of them. I think I'm going to listen to some of their stuff again since I haven't in awhile.

That all being said, I can't wait to hear their new album.

Some people I was with last night were talking about White Pony and how amazing it is. I know it's sitting in my CD rack but I can't be bothered to dig it out.

But yeah, I remember Be Quite And Drive, Back To School, Minerva and Change (In The House Of Flies) as being rather epic.

Right, I will now talk about Deftones a lot.

Firstly, like I said at the top of the thread, I'm a huge fan, and I have been since I first heard Back to School when I was about 12/13, a few years after its initial release. From the first moment I loved it, and pimped it out to all my friends before buying White Pony (the original version, not the reissue) and realizing that the album was completely different to what I had expected based on the Back to School song, it was dark, it was lo-key, it was minimalist and terrifying, and I believe that it was the album that led me to the likes of Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins and (unsurprisingly) Team Sleep a couple years later. However, I consider it a bad way to start with Deftones, because every other album pales in comparison, and nothing else was the same as White Pony. Still, I managed to get into other stuff by them, and although it didn't hit the same peak that White Pony did, I loved it. Around the Fur really hit me hard, especially Be Quiet and Drive and the titlular track. The self-titled effort was a little more miss for me, but 'Minerva', 'When Girls Telephone Boys' and 'Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event' were all sublime.

I no longer consider them mind blowing as such, but thinking about it, they are the one band that I discovered around that era that still get regular playtime on my speakers. Even the likes of Pixies are very rare to be played nowadays, and I had always advertised them as my favourite band. It's a bold statement, but I'd strongly consider stating that for me, Deftones are the most influential and possibly even the best band of my teen years, and maybe even my life.

I Used to be really in to Deftones about 8 years ago when i was starting to get in to more latrenative music, I actually got the first three albums in chronological order and really they do improve in quality as they go on. For me they are actually one of the bands that most likely got me in to bands tht can be melodic and then a bar of music later hit me with a wall of sound. Despite not really been on a list of my favourite or most influential bands I have listened to their early stuff a lot and the best way they apply to me is influential but not really a band I love, just a band with records i like.

I just don't get into the Deftones style, or any bands of their ilk for that matter. Some people like that style, and find it an enjoyable listen, they appreciate the Deftones for what they are and this is fine.

I can't really criticize them because I also listen to some bands that others wouldn't get into, that people would say "What's so special about them?". The Deftones sound just doesn't work for me.

My memories of them come from middle school, I remember them getting fairly big with some of the other folks in school. This was during my RATM years.

I avoided them like the plague at high school (most people I hung out with seemed to like them, but I digress); now I don't really have much of an opinion on them, though I do realize with hindsight there's a hell of a lot worse out there of their ilk.

The singers voice annoys me, and the only real song that I know of by name is Knights of Cydonia, I've never really actively sought them out. I did kinda over listen to the song around Guitar hero 3 release time, which turned me off to them even more, but on the occasions that song comes up on random... what a fucking stomping riff.