So, how do you feel about...

probablyoliver

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know much about this band, aside from a random video or two I've seen on telly I didn't especially like. They came out around the time nu-metal was getting big, so I was instantly turned off by them.

Anyway, I think I'm neutral, slightly leaning on the negative side. Never really cared about this kind of music.

EDIT: WTF. I was talking about the Deftones. I didn't know you're going to post another band right up.

Muse, I don't mind at all. I had this one album from a friend of mine who likes them. It was quite good. Could possibly listen to them a bit more. But, honestly, it's not really my type of music, so in the end I wouldn't buy an album. I wouldn't want to listen to Muse THAT much to justify it - I don't know if an album of theirs could stand re-listens. At least not on my stereos. There's too much awesome stuff I keep lining up for my player, and never have enough time to play all.

Edited by lari

Deftones, okay every now and then, don't think I could stomach an entire album.

Muse, fucking brilliant. One of my favourite bands. I don't know if they're top 10, but definately top 20/30, purely for their middle two albums. "Absolution" is my favourite album, ever. The way it flows, the variation in tunes, just fucking beautiful. Muse at their artistic best. Whilst I'd somewhat agree that "Origin Of Symmetry" has the better indivdual songs, "Absolution" just seems so beautiful and whole. Brilliant stuff.

I find "Showbiz" a little overrated, but they were a band finding their groove, but still really great, some awesome tunes like "Fillip" on there though. "Black Holes..." got shit on far too much, it was actually a pretty good album. Yes, probably my least favourite, but still a very good album (which I believe was around the 25 mark in my 2006 album list). "Hoodoo", "City Of Delusion", "Map Of The Problematique" are amazing tunes. The singles are all solid too, as is the opener. Shit on too much.

Basically, great band. I rank the middle two albums head and shoulders above the rest.

Muse are brilliant. I've been a massive fan since I saw 'em live in 1999. Went out and bought Showbiz the next day.

personally I feel Absolution is the most complete album. Origin Of Symmetry is like a "Best of the big hits" album which doesn't flow as intelligently and delicately as the other three.

Outside of the albums Dead Star is beyond brilliant. They perform it sensationally on the Live DVD from a few years back - Hullaballo - one of the few music DVDs that actually gets repeat viewings from me.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7y56va74bX0 (Dead Star)

Deftones are alright, enjoyed a few songs of theirs when I was in high school but I don't actively seek it out now. As for Muse, I haven't heard a lot of their stuff yet, but what I have heard is pretty decent and more enjoyable than a lot of other bands. First song I heard was Knights of Cydonia, which was fine and all, but Hysteria is where I really started to like them. Gotta check an album out sometime.

Deftones - 'White Pony' is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I have all thier other stuff. I wouldn't say I was a huge fan, but for that kinda music, they are so far away ahead of thier peers, it isn't even funny.

Muse - Brilliant. Have all thier stuff as well. One of the only people who actually thinks Showbiz is possibly their best album though.

Muse... eh. I understand why people are really into them, but I'm not, really. Also, I loathed "Time Is Running Out" or whatever the title of that song was because the local alternative station played it over and over and over again and it just wasn't that good.

Muse, eh. They're the type of band that I really just can't get into. Like GoGo, I guess I see the appeal for some people but it's just not what I'm looking for when I listen to music. Plus that song took forever to beat in Guitar Hero 3 co-op mode with a less talented player on my side. :shifty:

Deftones have always been up there in my list of favourite bands, but thinking about it now I haven't actually listened to them (bar the odd song here or there) since I was at college 7 years ago. I'd still class them as a favourite, and think they were certainly the most 'mature' and long lasting member of the 'nu-metal' scene.

Muse are good but tremendously overrated by many people. And I also happen to think 'Showbiz' is their best album.

Deftones - pretty much the kings of being an overrated-underrated band.

Muse - Moving along to the current discussion, I love Muse. Some of their albums have a lot of filler on there, but I can't hold it against them when the good stuff is extremely good. Their music can just create a certain ambiance to a particular situation - not a band you listen to in the car on the way to work, they need to be listened to properly like Pink Floyd or Radiohead. Sitting in a quiet, dimly lit room with Muse blasting? It's some of the best music I've experienced in the last eight years. Mainstream music totally blows right now and Muse is one of the few lights at the end of the tunnel... now if only they'd come to Cincinnati.

Deftones - Like Gabriel they remind me of school, proper back in the day stuff. I've all their albums but I would't consider them one of my favourite bands, they are decent enough. Some of the songs do remind me of going out clubbing, good times

Muse - Another one of those bands that I dont mind. Wont go out of my way to listen to them but I won't object if someone plays them.

offspring143ge3.jpg

How about offspring?

My favourite band and have been since I was a kid. I was hooked when I heard Smash way back in the day. Still havent got round to hearing the new album, I downloaded it but I'd rather go out and buy it out of respect for these awesome hombres. And Greg K's bass lit up when I saw them live.

Ignition is my favourite album and I even like Conspiracy and all the new stuff.

If we are changing to Offspring now: meh. Never heard anything outside of "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" and the novelty of that song wore off years ago, and I don't really wanna hear anything else of theirs. For me though, the most interesting thing they ever did (or didn't do) was nearly call an album "Chinese Democracy".

From whole albums, I only ever heard Smash. It's catchy and fun. And from what I've heard on the radio / videos on telly, Offspring are fun. Again, not my type of music, but I'd easily pick them over the Deftones and Muse. By far the best of the MTV-type pop-punk bands.

Smash is the only Offspring album I really like. Not a bad song on the entire album, but the rest of their stuff is pretty hit or miss. Some albums have a couple good songs and a majority of naff songs, other albums are just naff. Smash was probably their best effort.

Smash really is a fun album, not something I play anymore, but much in the same way MDK described Muse, good but not something I'd go out of my way for.

I dug them more when I was a kid, but have really grown away from them. The Kids Aren't Alright was a pretty cool song as well.