So, how do you feel about...

probablyoliver

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Liam in thinking that Showbiz is the best Muse album, actually. My brother was a HUGE Muse fan - they were the first band he ever got majorly into, and he owns every version of every single they released up until Black Holes & Revelations, I think...maybe missing one or two off Absolution.

Personally they've never done much for me but having, as I do, access to a huge amount of their material, I end up liking tracks that aren't necessarily on most people's radars - the Soulwax remix of "Muscle Museum" and the track "Pink Ego Box" off Random 1-8 are probably my favourite two tracks by them, for example.

I can't listen to them for a prolonged period, though, and certainly nothing off the last two albums, it all grates on me an awful lot. A band with a few good tracks, but most of it just doesn't appeal to me, and they move further and further off my radar as time goes by.

Deftones were never really on my radar, I'm not sure I could name you a song by them, and I've certainly never enjoyed anything I've heard of their's.

The Offspring are a band that I think are horribly over-hyped. They've done nothing good for over a decade (although Million Miles Away and She's Got Issues were listenable, at least), and released a lot of utter shite (Pretty Fly For A White Guy, Why Don't You Get A Job?, Original Gangster, Want You Bad) over the years. Come Out And Play is still bad-ass, but they've not got much else going for them. That said, most "pop-punk" has never appealed to me in the slightest, and very little "punk" coming out of America post-1982 hasn't either.

A recurring theme in this thread seems to be a "reminds me of school" or whatever vibe, I don't think I have a single band or song like that. No one I was at school with really listened to anything I did, or at least not when I did, that I can remember - despite music being an obsession of mine, and probably almost all I'd talk about, there's not a single person I went to school with that shares my tastes, bar my brother, and he didn't then.

Edited by Skummy

I hate Muse. Probably one of my least favourite bands. I find it impossible to enjoy most of their stuff, though I haven't had as big a problem with their recent work.

Everything I've heard from The Offspring has been average or worse. I'll admit I haven't heard much at all because they haven't interested me enough to look for more.

I remember listening to one of their songs aaaaaaages ago on The Lockup on Radio 1 whilst playing one of the Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain. I liked it. Can't remember which one it was though, and I haven't heard anything by them since. So... yeah. They're not bad, but I clearly can't be bothered to make the effort to listen to them. :shifty:

Heard "On Call" on Jonathon Ross. Quite liked it, so downloaded it. Got bored quickly. Heard another one of their songs that was fucking awful as I was getting up to go to Uni at 6.30 in the morning and the dark in the middle of winter. Hate them now. Just another indie type band to me.

I love Kings of Leon. I have their 1st and 3rd albums. The third is fantastic, with almost ever song being great. My favourites are "Fans" and "Arizona". Their first album is a bit more patchy, yet still has the excellent "Molly's Chambers" and "California Waiting", so all is forgiven.

Is this the same Sublime that had a song on Dave Mirra BMX on the PS1? Lyrics along the lines of "Something-or-other chest, blah-blah bullet-proof vest". Only heard/got that song, which I can't be bothered digging out right now. Seem like band that are cheesily happy and merry, but good too, kinda like Smash Mouth. Not really gonna search for more of their stuff though, not my kinda thing over all, but I've mainly got that song due to nostalgia.

Kings of Leon I'm pretty indifferent too. I got an album of their's, their last one I believe and it's alright. Nothing great tho.

I don't like Sublime. Too many uber-stoner/hippies I know think the band is amazing so that's kinda left a sour taste in my mouth for them.

I love Kings Of Leon's "Aha Shake Heartbreak". We used to listen to it at work in England all the time and now I listen to it loads on my way to work. Some great tracks on there and a good rhythmical vibe throughout. Very cool.

Not listened to their other stuff but people around me who have tell me that I've got their best album by quite some distance.

Offspring. Pretty much a giant MEH! I like maybe one or two tunes, tops.

Kings of Leon. I appreciate their output. The fact in 5 or so years they've pumped out 4 albums. However, I don't particuarly like them, I find them bland. "King Of The Rodeo" is a fucking tune. The rest, even the singles, I can take it or leave it.

Sublime. Not really my part of the ska-punk spectrum. I find them a little dull, and the vocals grate on me at times. They are a big influence, but because of Sublime we had shit like Crazytown and OPM.

Another hijack;

saamfarahmand_JK_01_1078.jpg

Jamiroquai

Remember, it's a band, not a bloke. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Offspring - hilariously, I'll probably be seeing them live on Monday because they're at a music festival I'm going to in a time slot where there's nobody I'm thrilled about so I might as well be amused by that one band that I only sort of liked when I was twelve.

Kings of Leon - Never heard a single song of theirs that I can recall.

Sublime - "Badfish" and "Santeria" are great songs, I can't really profess to caring about anything else.

EDIT: Jamiroquai is absolutely fantastic, even if not all of their songs are my cup of tea, and it's been far too long since I bought one of their records.

Edited by THE GoGo Yubari

Sublime have never interested me in the slightest - just nothing about them gels with me at all. I think it's because I'm dreary and Northern and miserable, and as such have an aversion to upbeat music >_>

Kings Of Leon - never had much of an interest in them, but Molly's Chambers was good, and they had one song, I think it was called The Bucket or something like that, which had a brilliant half-inched Cramps riff and a kind of stumbling stop-start feel to it which I love.

Jamiroquai, heh. Another one I've never been into in any real way, but after saying in my last post that no band/artist/song has any real nostalgia value to me - just thinking about it, Jamiroquai does. "Corner Of The Earth" always used to be playing in the coffee shop I started frequenting towards the end of my school days, and which pretty much shaped my social life and tastes from there. So...yeah, place in my heart and all that, but probably wouldn't listen to them much out of choice.

Also, a keyboard at school had a horrible midi "Virtual Insanity" as one of the pre-recorded tunes. And at my previous school I vaguely remember my old best mate from way back when always singing made up lyrics to that song off of Godzilla.