Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP)—African champion Egypt will have to overcome Algeria, Zambia and Rwanda to reach its first World Cup finals in 20 years.

The draw for the final stage of African qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa was made at FIFA headquarters on Wednesday. The 20 African nations were put into five groups of four teams each, with the five group winners qualifying for the finals.

The host nation qualifies automatically.

Cameroon, the highest ranked African country at No. 12 in the world, was drawn with Morocco, Gabon and Togo.

In other groups, top-seeded Nigeria faces Tunisia, Kenya and Mozambique. Ghana will play Mali, Benin and Sudan, while Ivory Coast heads a group featuring Guinea, Burkina Faso and Malawi.

So to put this in table form:

GROUP 1		  GROUP 2		  GROUP 3		  GROUP 4		  GROUP 5

Egypt			Cameroon		 Nigeria		  Ghana			Cote d'Ivoire

Algeria		  Morocco		  Tunisia		  Mali			 Guinea

Zambia		   Gabon			Kenya			Benin			Burkina Faso

Rwanda		   Togo			 Mozambique	   Sudan			Malawi

My thoughts are that Ghana has the easiest path to the Cup, while Cameroon has the hardest. If I had to predict, I'd say Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, Ghana, and Cote d'Ivoire, but we'll see in 2009.

• 2 weeks later...
ZURICH, Switzerland (AP)—African champion Egypt will have to overcome Algeria, Zambia and Rwanda to reach its first World Cup finals in 20 years.

The draw for the final stage of African qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa was made at FIFA headquarters on Wednesday. The 20 African nations were put into five groups of four teams each, with the five group winners qualifying for the finals.

The host nation qualifies automatically.

Cameroon, the highest ranked African country at No. 12 in the world, was drawn with Morocco, Gabon and Togo.

In other groups, top-seeded Nigeria faces Tunisia, Kenya and Mozambique. Ghana will play Mali, Benin and Sudan, while Ivory Coast heads a group featuring Guinea, Burkina Faso and Malawi.

So to put this in table form:

GROUP 1		  GROUP 2		  GROUP 3		  GROUP 4		  GROUP 5

Egypt			Cameroon		 Nigeria		  Ghana			Cote d'Ivoire

Algeria		  Morocco		  Tunisia		  Mali			 Guinea

Zambia		   Gabon			Kenya			Benin			Burkina Faso

Rwanda		   Togo			 Mozambique	   Sudan			Malawi

My thoughts are that Ghana has the easiest path to the Cup, while Cameroon has the hardest. If I had to predict, I'd say Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, Ghana, and Cote d'Ivoire, but we'll see in 2009.

Man Group 2 looks HARD. All those teams have a chance.

I can see Algeria, Cameroon, Nigeria, Mali and Ivory Coast going through. The Ivorians got such a cushy draw and in my opinion, have the best chance of winning the World Cup for Africa. South Africa...I really hope they don't look like shit out there.

As far as AFC reps go, the groups right now are (top two go through, two third place teams playoff to face New Zealand, and winner of the NZ game will qualify for the big tournament):

Group 1: Australia, Japan, Qatar, Bahrain, Uzbekistan (most points first).

Group 2: South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, UAE (most points first).

Only 2/3 games have been played so far, out of 10 games to be played.

I'd reckon Australia and Japan have those two top spots already, and Qatar will probably get the playoff spot. The top four from group 2 all have 4 points each, but North Korea have played one more game. I think South Korea and Iran will get the two top spots, and North Korea will sneak the playoff spot.

And just to predict further, Qatar will beat North Korea in the playoff, and then New Zealand will beat Qatar to go to the big one! Maybe I'm just an NZ mark.

• 4 months later...

Bump-a-roonie.

So Wales/Finland is on now, it's been pretty cagey, nothing clear-cut for either team. Russia are 2-0 up just now which is bad for both Wales and Finland.

And of course as I type this Finland go 1-0 up. Crap.

And we've got Holland/Scotland tonight. Where I fully expect us to get humped so anything else is a bonus.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we're playing 4-5-1:

McGregor

Alexander, Berra, Caldwell, Naysmith

Teale, Brown, Ferguson, Fletcher, McCormack

Miller

with McCormack presumably pushing up with Miller whenever needed. Our strikers are just so inexperienced though - we've got 5 in the squad and only Kenny Miller has more than 2 caps. And even the ones that do have 2 have probably not got 90 minutes if you put them together.

Edited by Scott McFly

The thread should really be renamed.

I want either;

"The time when commentators are allowed to be massively biased and nobody cares"

or

"Jari Litmanen still has it"

Either/or really. If Wales were a team like Boro they'd have been scolded by the commentators for passing the ball around while Finland had 11 men in front of them. Since it's Wales against some obscure probably communist or nazi supporting country like Finland... it's deemed dominant possessional football.

Sometimes I hate international matches.

Just only noticed England is on Setanta. Nice of them to continue to ruin the International game for every supporter in England. Having to pay for these is pathetic, not to mention they put it on the worst channel in the history of television. I'm pissed off. Please don't tell me Wednesday's match is not on fucking normal television?

Bump-a-roonie.

So Wales/Finland is on now, it's been pretty cagey, nothing clear-cut for either team. Russia are 2-0 up just now which is bad for both Wales and Finland.

And we've got Holland/Scotland tonight. Where I fully expect us to get humped so anything else is a bonus.

McGregor

Miller

with McCormack presumably pushing up with Miller whenever needed. Our strikers are just so inexperienced though - we've got 5 in the squad and only Kenny Miller has more than 2 caps. And even the ones that do have 2 have probably not got 90 minutes if you put them together.

Ah, a Scot. This match has been getting a lot of hype on the BBC and just generally on the internet and every time it's basically about how Scotland is going to get humped by us. Yes, material wise we have one of the best sides in the world, but as you might know we have a shitty mentality. I think Scotland have a chance tonight, especially with Ooijer at the back who I think is past it and if Scotland manages to contain Van Persie and Robben, it will be very difficult for us.

Ofcourse, I might be talking crap and we will indeed hump you :pervert:

On the upside it stops me from stumbling onto it and becoming frustrated, if I want to watch it I can go to a pub with some friends and talk over the commentators.

And it also stops Joe Average from becoming a professional football pundit and pretending they know something about football when quite clearly they don't.

Just only noticed England is on Setanta. Nice of them to continue to ruin the International game for every supporter in England. Having to pay for these is pathetic, not to mention they put it on the worst channel in the history of television. I'm pissed off. Please don't tell me Wednesday's match is not on fucking normal television?

The England game is only a friendly though. Of course they'll probably be on Setanta too, but at least ITV have the qualifier against Ukraine. I'll get myself prepared for the smug sycophantic commentary from Clive Tyldesley.

Bump-a-roonie.

McGregor

Miller

Ah, a Scot. This match has been getting a lot of hype on the BBC and just generally on the internet and every time it's basically about how Scotland is going to get humped by us. Yes, material wise we have one of the best sides in the world, but as you might know we have a shitty mentality. I think Scotland have a chance tonight, especially with Ooijer at the back who I think is past it and if Scotland manages to contain Van Persie and Robben, it will be very difficult for us.

Apparently the Tartan Army have been reporting that the Dutch locals aren't too confident (yes, they do spy missions too :shifty: ), mainly concerning the goalkeeper. I don't think we have any chance of scoring unless it's from a free kick or corner since putting Miller up front on his own has been proven useless in the past since he just gets outnumbered every single time. And with a few players injured (most notably McFadden and McManus) there goes arguably the spark in the attack and the best centre defender. I think the best chance we've got is scraping a 0-0 because I just can't see us scoring at all.

And just the thought of Kuyt, Van Persie, Huntelaar and Babel makes me think we're looking at another 6-0. My mate had a dream the other day and said we lost 7-1 and I told him that was ridiculous. We'd never get a goal.

So when Sky had the games, that's not paying for them is it?

Errr, yes? My entire point is you shouldn't have to be paying for these games, a complete joke. Whether it's on Sky or Setanta, it's bollocks really. And I could care less about ITV's shit commentary as I'd much rather it be on there. It's becoming a joke that you have to pay for a game like this.

To be fair, you have to pay for Sky Sports, who used to have the games and no-one moaned then. The one complaint I have about Setanta is that they're shit (and not improving). Also, the time the deal was made Setanta could be viewed/bought by both Sky and Virgin viewers, but Virgin couldn't get Sky Sports, so you could argue that at the time it was more accessible.

So when Sky had the games, that's not paying for them is it?

Errr, yes? My entire point is you shouldn't have to be paying for these games, a complete joke. Whether it's on Sky or Setanta, it's bollocks really. And I could care less about ITV's shit commentary as I'd much rather it be on there. It's becoming a joke that you have to pay for a game like this.

So if you're saying only BBC One and Two, ITV1, Channel 4 and FIVE can bid for International matches, then the FA would get near enough no money and thus the FA would be unable to (continue to) pay off Wembley and wouldn't be able to invest in any new projects.

The England game is only a friendly though. Of course they'll probably be on Setanta too, but at least ITV have the qualifier against Ukraine. I'll get myself prepared for the smug sycophantic commentary from Clive Tyldesley.

Bump-a-roonie.

McGregor

Miller

Apparently the Tartan Army have been reporting that the Dutch locals aren't too confident (yes, they do spy missions too :shifty: ), mainly concerning the goalkeeper. I don't think we have any chance of scoring unless it's from a free kick or corner since putting Miller up front on his own has been proven useless in the past since he just gets outnumbered every single time. And with a few players injured (most notably McFadden and McManus) there goes arguably the spark in the attack and the best centre defender. I think the best chance we've got is scraping a 0-0 because I just can't see us scoring at all.

And just the thought of Kuyt, Van Persie, Huntelaar and Babel makes me think we're looking at another 6-0. My mate had a dream the other day and said we lost 7-1 and I told him that was ridiculous. We'd never get a goal.

Babel probably will not play anyway. I'm thinking:

Stekelenburg

Van der Wiel Ooijer Mathijsen Van Bronckhorst

De Jong Van Bommel

Van Persie Sneijder Robben

Huntelaar

This leaves out Kuyt, Babel, Van der Vaart and Affelay who has been wonderful for PSV this year. So yeah, we have way too many options up front, so at least two world class players won't be able to play. I might be completely off though and maybe he'll take off one Defensive/Controlling midfielder and put Van der Vaart next to Sneijder or Kuyt on the right and RVP next to Sneijder, but I think he wants to stick to his usual tactic which has worked wonders for us. Don't underestimate Van Bommer and De Jong, they can be pretty attacking too (Bommel scored the winner against Norway). Stekelenburg was injured for a couple of months, so Ajax's second goalie Vermeer played the entire time and did great (he played both tournies when Holland won under 21 euro cup two times in a row). So when Stekelenburg returned, Van Basten chose Vermeer to be his number one as a reward for his great play. This has been a big talking point in Holland because obviously Stekelenburg is currently our number one, but if Vermeer is number one at Ajax, shouldn't he play for Holland then? That's the discussion that's going on, but I'm pretty confident that Stekelenburg will play well tonight. Maybe even more so because he wants to prove to the fans that he is still a great goalie and he's after a transfer to England.

Edited by The Quasi Juice