Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

New Weezer cover art has been revealed. Brace yourself...

weezer-raditude-cover.jpg

Besides the already shitty songs been announced and heard on the internet, it has 'Can't Stop Partying' on it, which was on one of River Cuomo's solo compilation things and is actually quite good. The rest will probably be quite shitty but that is to be expected with any new Weezer.

House of Blues, Oct. 17th

I may just have to make my way up to Boston then. Gaslight and Murder by Death are great and I know I had Broadway Calls on my computer before the harddrive gave out (nearly 50GB of music out the window. Again.) so it looks pretty good for me.

Yeah. I've been looking to see Gaslight for a while. And the others are well liked around here, so sounds good. Worthy of a see, especially since it's like... 20 bucks?

...I think I might be beginning to like A.F.I. After being fucking awesome at Leeds...I really like the new song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_COrJYI2QU

Still not sold on the singer's voice...but the chorus is rocking. Plus Davey Havok looks 'normal' these days...at least that's what my mate claims...I can't remember shit about them at Leeds besides them being fucking mint and me charging into the pit and spending the entire set there.

Streetlight Manifesto are apparently taking a 'brief hiatus'. :( (Maybe this means Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution are getting a bit of a run out again?)

Edited by YI

The new Cascada album is fucking bouncing! Spent the majority of last night listening to it, proper loving it!

"Why You Had To Leave", "Hold Your Hands Up" (sounds like a fucking Corrs song :o), "Breathless", "Dangerous", "Ready Or Not" and "What About Me" are mint.

"Iron Front" by Strike Anywhere has leaked. :D Gonna listen to it now. Still no sign of "Asians Of The Underground" or "Herald Muff" (which is actually out tomorrow anyway).

New Do Make Say Think has leaked too. :D

Edited by YI

New Strike Anywhere is FUCKING AMAZING!!! Went out before so just finished my first listen through it. Great mix of "Dead FM" and "Exit English" style tracks and a bit "Change Is A Sound" in places too (but more polished). The vocals are just so bloody powerful. The choruses tend to follow on from "Dead FM" in that they're catchy as sin, but the album's a lot more IN YOUR FACE like "Change Is A Sound" and there's a few 'slower' style "Exit English" tracks. The opener "Invisible Colony" is everything that awesome 00's punk rock is about...awesome! "Invisible Colony", "Hand Of Glory", "Omega Footprint", "Spectacular", "I'm Your Opposite Number" and "Postcards From Home" are standouts at the minute.

Edited by YI

On the off-chance that any of you have an HMV points card; for 90000 points you can get a mini cricket bat signed by Neil Hannon, the other one from the Duckworth Lewis Method, and Matt Berry. Which is brilliant. Hopefully they'll still have some left once I've accumulated that many points, which should only take me a fortnight >_>

Downloaded the Attica! Attica! album, liked it, then noticed that he's playing a benefit show at my favorite basement, along with a local band and one band with members of Ruiner, who I think I've heard of. Love that place.

Yeah Ruiner are okay. But still one of my least favourite Bridge 9 bands (but given their current roster is fucking awesome, they're still okay). Solid enough live though.

Downloading "Herald Muff" by InMe...one of the few 'big'(ish) albums in recent memory I can think about that didn't leak at all prior to release (today).

Edited by YI

HEY! You cheeky git, stop pimping out my local bands I pimped to you (based solely on the fact their singer's fucking gorgeous...and their songs are actually quite catchy). :shifty:

The attempted rhyming of "port" and "dock" is the greatest thing ever. :shifty:

Actually quite tempted to go see them on Wednesday.

In other local pop-punk related news...It's Our Time Now/Midterm Break have split up...Midterm Break are quite probably the most GOD AWFUL band I've had the pleasure of seeing live...and I've seen Pure Graft multiple times. :shifty:

And so this post doesn't turn into a 'namedrop local bands only me and RossWalker have had the displeasure of seeing'...I will agree that the Athlete song Jouzy told me about is catchy as fuck even if it does just sound like an electro-twinged version of "You Only Get What You Give".

Edited by YI

I sold an HMV points card today skummy. My only one this week. <_<

I'm not surprised, they're just an excuse to get rid of all the promotional tat you couldn't give away. That said, I've got a signed LaRoux CD out of it, and that's one of my Christmas presents sorted.

Rise Against have announced plans to celebrate their tenth anniversary with a special hometown show in Chicago, IL at The Metro. Set for December 18th, the show will include fellow Chicago punk band The Bollweevils as well as Noise By Numbers.

The event has been dubbed "Songs from the Fat Years" and will accordingly feature songs from the band's two albums on Fat Wreck Chords, 2001's The Unraveling and 2003's Revolutions Per Minute.

I WANNA GO!! :(

Hopefully this means they might play some older songs on their UK tour in November, you know, just to practise them up a bit. :D