Songs that some folk don't realise are covers

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Oooooh our favourite band/singer/artiste just released this amazing song right! It's well good n stuff and so original sounding!

Sorry, it's a cover.

For example, that song "Heartbeats" that Jose Gonzales sang while the coloured balls bounced around for the Sony Bravia advert...Remember?

Yeah, that one. It's a cover of the original by The Knife.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTnREBxOIk

Got any others?

I lost count of the number of times I heard "huge Jeff Buckley fans" saying that Alexandra Burke covered "Jeff Buckley's hallelujah". In fact, you might remember the get Jeff Buckley to number one facebook group which seemed to be of the opinion that was the case until someone pointed out otherwise. They were pretentious idiots anyway.

When I was younger I thought Jimi Hendrix was the writer of "All Along The Watchtower" for some time.

"You Raise Me Up". It wasn't Westlife OR Josh Groban. grrrr!

Burning Down The House. Talking Heads, not Tom Jones. Although I actually quite like the Tom Jones version too.

Birdland was originally by Weather Report. Not those rubbish people that added lyrics.

Edited by metalman

Instead of adding anything, I'll just throw in this link that lists a lot of songs (albeit a bit disorganized) which were covered and in turn made more famous.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...10184601AAowzwX

It's so interesting to see the number of songs written by someone else and then made famous by a different artists. A lot of the early rock n roll hits fall into that category.

Gloria Jones. She also did a fantastic version with Marc Bolan in '76.

A lot of people think "Jersey Girl" is a Bruce Springsteen original, when it's a Tom Waits cover.

"Red Red Wine" gets attributed to UB40 more often than it should, it's a Neil Diamond song. Oh, also "Kingston Town" was originally by Lord Creator, one of the only reggae artists worth listening to.

"Heartbeats" is another big one for me, as I'm as massive fanwhore for The Knife.

Otis Redding recorded "Respect" before Aretha Franklin did, and it was a much more powerful soul song and not a warbling ode for obnoxious female karaoke singers to murder for decades to come.

I probably have many more, but those are some of the obvious ones.

Edited by Skakskaw Skum Skuggan

the one that gets me the most is the Song Violins

everyone has heard the yellowcard version which is good but no one knows it was a Lagwagon original

oh and one the other way around i know a few people that thought Fairytale of Newyork was a No use original, but it is infact by the pogues

Also, not a cover, but Shayne Ward's Thats My Goal was intended to be for Westlife as the theme song to the Special Olympics - but they refused it as it'd be far too cheesy.

Man, that video would be amazing, they could have a bunch of 'wheelchair people' doing the "Boyband get off their seats for the final chorus" and have a giant sing-along...fuck, I want this. :( No, I NEED this. :(

Rocking All Over The World, most famously by Status Quo, was originally by John Fogerty from Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I always thought it was common knowledge, but just in case, The Beatles weren't the first to perform Twist & Shout, but both The Top Notes and The Isley Brothers had had hits with the song before the Fab Four ever did.