The Inevitable Summer Transfer Market Topic

Manchester City defender Kolo Toure says he decided to leave Arsenal because the club failed to strengthen their squad in recent seasons.

Toure, who joined City for a reported £16m, said Arsenal's reliance on youth has meant they have lacked leadership.

"When you look at Arsenal you see all the great players have left and are now in the past," said the 28-year-old.

"Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira and Ray Parlour have gone. We lost too many leaders at Arsenal."

Shall we play odd one out?

Manchester City defender Kolo Toure says he decided to leave Arsenal because the club failed to strengthen their squad in recent seasons.

Toure, who joined City for a reported £16m, said Arsenal's reliance on youth has meant they have lacked leadership.

"When you look at Arsenal you see all the great players have left and are now in the past," said the 28-year-old.

"Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira and Ray Parlour have gone. We lost too many leaders at Arsenal."

Shall we play odd one out?

Ray Parlour is the odd one out-he's the only one of the three to score an FA Cup winning goal!

No? :unsure:

Just thought I'd add to the whole "Manchester City are interested in *insert footballer here*" situation.

I think The Sun said it best last week....

"Man City Potential Targets: Anyone (Anywhere)

Man United Potential Targets: Franck Ribery (Bayern)

Spurs Potential Targets: Sebastian Bassong (Newcastle), Sylvain Distin (Portsmouth)"

I think that sums it up...

Edited by Ryan Hughes

Manchester City are expected to make an improved £20m offer for Everton defender Joleon Lescott.

Full story: Daily Star

Or Manchester City are set to withdraw their interest in Lescott and will instead pursue Chelsea centre-back Alex.

Full story: The Times

Lolz, transfer rumors. According to Dutch media Arsenal want to buy Affelay from PSV, but this rumor gets rejuvenated every transfer period :shifty:

Apparently not only Chelsea going to buy every overpriced player they've been linked with ever (Pirlo, Ribery, Aguero, etc.), but they're going to do all of it this week.

Oh Daily Mail, you're just getting silly now.

Was wondering when Blackburn were going to get a striker. Making fun of it to my mate has gotten old to the point I genuinley thought they were going to go with a Samba/Roberts/McCarthy partnership of some sort.

Kalinic seems like a good player if he comes off. I think adapting is easier from a Croatian league than a Spanish/Italian league as while the standard is lower I imagine the physicality of the game is quite similar. And he seems to score a lot in those leagues, could be a nice piece of business from Fat Sam there. Can't really comment on Di Santo has he's done sod all for Chelsea so far - as you'd expect - but I wouldn't be expecting a massive amount from him if it was us getting him. A covering/sub player surely?

• Admin

Various combinations of McCarthy / Roberts / Kalinic / Gallagher / Di Santo ain't too shabby, but we do need another creative midfielder because Dunny is bound to pick up an injury at some point. Though N'Zonzi has looked pretty handy in pre-season.

Some Hajduk fans reckon that Kalinic is rubbish and temperamental, I've never even heard of him myself so we'll have to see.

We're selling Matt Mills to Reading, so with 4 days to go until the season starts we're down two of our best three players from last season with no time to get replacements in to gel with the team.

So the rediculously over-delayed Bent transfer to Sunderland appears to be nearing completion, good luck with that one.

Sendaros IS in talks with Everton, which pretty much confirmed that Lescott will be going, his transfer request (or whatever the hell it is ¬_¬) seems to back that up too.

And I've been hearing that Portsmouth are struggling to pay £250k for Amir Zaki's loan deal, which coupled with their transfer policy of buying free players and selling players for less than the market values them as mean that it's starting to look like Portsmouth aren't going to get their big money owner afterall... and by waiting it out, have a sub-championship squad :o

Hell their key players are Kranjar and 39 year old David James, and only one of them will perform.

Portsmouth can't pay 250k for a loan deal? After selling all the players the have, some of which for massive fees (Crouch, Johnson, Traore), not to mention the £20m they got for Diarra. I find that hard to believe, where the hell is this money going?

But I agree, they have to make some purchases to have any kind of squad at all, let alone a non-Premier League worthy one.