Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Keane got caught, if he'd have gone down immediately then it would have "looked better". However he tried to stay up but the trip meant that he was losing balance and he stumbled and fell a step later because of the trip taking away his foot. It was a cut and dry decision.

Other talksport DJs mentioned this as well as a couple of BBC reporters.

I'd say that he missed three big decisions (two penalties and the first half trip on the edge of the box against Defoe or Lennon.

The difference in the penalty decisions is that the first one affected the game. With the second one the game was already over.

My point was more about the fact that it doesn't have to be a yellow card automatically if you don't give a penalty more than anything, but I still maintain I thought he went down a little easy. He was barely caught, and aside from using the analogy of it being somewhat similar to how a tap tackle would work in rugby (which is a fair argument, if thats the way you wanna go with it), there otherwise wasn't enough contact to bring him down in my opinion.

To me, the way his body was and his feet landed after the contact suggests that he wasn't that off balance, and he went down a bit easy because of it.

It'll sound stupid, but I wouldn't have argued against the penalty being given, but I definitely can see why it wasn't.

Even with all this being said, surely the fact that the contact was minimal and it appeared that Keane lost his balance is a good enough reason for someone, correctly or incorrectly, to not give the penalty? You can't just give one because a player reacts how Keane did, and due to the way the play developed, it would have been hard for the referee to be in a position where the contact was obvious. It would also explain Webb's decision not to give Keane a yellow card.

Somebody on the TV over here has looked into the video of the Bellamy goal and they made note that the 4 minutes added time was signalled by Alan Wiley AFTER Bellamy scored. Which means only 30 seconds should have been added because of the subsutition. But that also goes against what Wiley apparently told Hughes about the extra time on top of the extra time was added because of the goal.

So in other words....my head hurts.

• Admin

Somebody on the TV over here has looked into the video of the Bellamy goal and they made note that the 4 minutes added time was signalled by Alan Wiley AFTER Bellamy scored. Which means only 30 seconds should have been added because of the subsutition. But that also goes against what Wiley apparently told Hughes about the extra time on top of the extra time was added because of the goal.

Someone on TV over there is confused. Sign went up before Bellamy scored. Man City are whining because it hides the inadequacies of their defence at the moment, nothing more to it than that.

As for Keane, I agree with Liam. The way Keane fell defies any natural physics. If Carvalho clipped him properly, Keane would have gone down straight away. I think Keane felt a little contact on his ankle, carried on, realised he wasn't going anywhere and thought "Fuck it, I'm going over". The debate about whether the minimal contact should justify a penalty is an open one, depending on how much of a contact sport you think football should be (and whether any contact without touching the ball = penalty), but for anyone (Redknapp especially) to claim Keane didn't get the penalty because he was "Too Honest" is frankly laughable.

Guest Ringmaster

Which one of those bastards said that? The Score? I doubt its Sportsnet and I know it's not FSC or Gol TV or Setanta and I don't think Ontario gets stuff like FFT or TBG or whatever, so I'm gonna go with the Score, in which case, I implore you, do not watch anything they have to say, ever again :shifty:. They are beyond psychotic. Just go and spend the whatever it costs and get FSC and watch them instead. They have genuine insight!

Essentially, Toure and Lescott were beyond worthless and that's why Man City lost. Any other excuse is just sore loseringness.

Which one of those bastards said that? The Score? I doubt its Sportsnet and I know it's not FSC or Gol TV or Setanta and I don't think Ontario gets stuff like FFT or TBG or whatever, so I'm gonna go with the Score, in which case, I implore you, do not watch anything they have to say, ever again :shifty:. They are beyond psychotic. Just go and spend the whatever it costs and get FSC and watch them instead. They have genuine insight!

Essentially, Toure and Lescott were beyond worthless and that's why Man City lost. Any other excuse is just sore loseringness.

What about the fact Micah Richards still hasn't learn how to defend?

Ah Micah Richards, unfortunately he's just as good a defender as Darius Vassell is a striker.

Hyped up based on potential and doesn't appear to have gotten much better than he has been for the past few years. Just like Michael Johnson who's completely disappeared.

City should have sold the both of them when they were hyped to the moon, whereas now they'll leave on frees when they're done ¬_¬

I figured that Portsmouth would be twice as up for todays game after the promise that £50m would be pumped into Portsmouth

The problem being that unless they get a point within the next few weeks then they'll just lose the momentum from this act... and then would have no motivation to play.