Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

There's a huge fuss over it all because the goal shouldn't have stood, but didn't Man City concede a goal in the cup a couple of years ago because they hit a balloon??

Also UEFA Cup, I remember a goal scored from a corner resultant in a cup that had been thrown onto the pitch. These were all "agents" or whatever hte fuck they called it that effected the game and mean the match should have been stopped and a drop ball used?

Or have I gone mad?

City's goal involved quite a substantial amount of balloons in the penalty area.

Both goals shouldn't have been allowed. You can't allow that sort of interference. Why are balloons even allowed into stadiums in games other than finals?

Edited by ONO
  • Like 1

This incident does beg the question thought - what sort of arsehole thinks that buying a football club branded beach ball (or any beach related paraphernalia, for that matter) is acceptable?

You mean, you don't want to give your most favorite lady Liverpool FC belly button bar or pendant and get yourself some LFC cufflinks and aftershave?

Re: the whole bringing the beach ball to a match in October thing... I imagine he'll have bought it in the stadium shop whilst milling around prior to the game, and therefore would have had to bring it in to the stands with him.

It's not that odd a purchase, really. I mean, a towel is a good enough thing on its own. Throw in a fun ball for a tenner? Bargain.

I do have to say, it's probably a good thing that...

Liverpool will search Manchester United fans ahead of this Sunday's clash between the sides at Anfield for any items, including beach balls, which could be thrown onto the pitch and potentially cause a repeat of the "freak" goal scored against the Reds by Sunderland's Darren Bent last Saturday.

[/bBC gossip page]

...because you just know that United fans will flood the pitch with beach balls just to take the piss.