The England thread

Quite possibly, as I don't think Neville is brilliant by any standard. However as it seems that McClaren doesn't want to experiment too much, none of those players you mentioned have any international experience at senior level, so Neville, in McClarens eyes, is a logical choice.

I'm far from a McClaren fan by the way, just don't get me started on his match tactics etc...

Edited by JimbobJoylove

Completely agree, and this is what infuriated me with Eriksson and McClaren alike. What's the point of giving Barton 12 minutes of a friendly? Stick him in from the start and see how he does. Same with Barry - the guys does well enough for Villa on the left of midfield, then barely gets a chance on the left when he plays for England.

That's the most irritating thing about the McClaren/Eriksson eras, I'm sure they both know far more about football than I do, but surely if a player plays well enough to warrant inclusion in the team/squad then what logic says you then don't play him in said position. Madness.

Edited by JimbobJoylove

Can't really complain when Barry gets played at LB, as he played there for years. Obviously he's a left midfielder, but putting him at left back isn't as bad as putting Phil Neville there.

Barry should be the starting left midfielder.

A team with Barry and Lennon starting and no Gary Neville in it, sounds like a team I might actually want to win.

It seems lately every time England have played I've had this urge to see them lose. The squad selections and tactics recently have been so dire I haven't even been able to get into the matches. Thankfully this time, it seems injuries have forced McClaren to put out a half decent squad that I'll be able to get behind.

I wouldnt turn on England like that myself Summers, but it is getting hard to support them. Carrick? Fuck that, Hargreaves in the middle with Gerrard, Lennon and Barry out wide, leave Lampard on the bench to make an impact when the defense gets a bit tired and so he has more room to score from long range. Simple.