The England thread

Funny how everyone in the media shot down Capello as soon as he started talking about the England managerial role, yet he looks to be the only one left in the running who's credible.

Who seriously thought O'Neil or Jose would become England manager? O'Neil is doing more for England than any other Premier League manager yet his efforts are completely ignored, why would he bother with the England position? and Jose wont go anywhere for a year, i'm guessing he is going to use this time as a holiday. He's still relatively "young" for a manager and could easily take a few years out and still be as good when he comes back.

and what was with Allerdyce saying he doesn't want the job? I'm sure if you asked an arrogent Blue Square manager he'd "reject" it too, if you stand no chance of being manager you'd probably stay out of the picture.

Five men have been arrested in connection with alleged corruption in football, police have said.

The arrests included Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp and the club's chief executive, Peter Storrie.

The five men were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

Mr Redknapp and three others have since been released on police bail. Meanwhile, police said a 30-year-old remains in custody.

Police refused to give details of those arrested and would only confirm they were aged 69, 60, 55, 48 and 30.

On-going inquiry

On his release Mr Redknapp said: "We all helped the police with their inquiries, but it doesn't directly concern me, it's other people involved.

He added: "I've been answering questions to help the police. I am not directly concerned with their inquiries."

"They have to arrest you to talk to you, for you to be in the police station. I think that's the end of it, it didn't directly concern me."

The solicitor representing Mr Redknapp and Mr Storrie emphasised that his clients were cooperating with police.

Speaking outside the police station Paul Martin said: "The inquiries do not relate to either of those individuals, they relate to entirely different individuals.

'Corruption'

"They are ongoing investigations in relation to those other individuals, and for that reason they are unable to comment further, and there is nothing that they can discuss."

The arrests are part of City of London Police's on-going inquiry into alleged corruption, a spokesman said.

The men were held as officers carried out raids on 12 locations across the country. Two of those searches are still ongoing.

Detectives from the economic crime unit of the City of London Police are investigating allegations of corruption within football and its impact on owners and shareholders.

The club is fully supportive of Peter and Harry who are co-operating fully with City of London Police in this ongoing inquiry

Portsmouth FC

In July, officers raided Newcastle United, Portsmouth and Rangers football clubs as part of the inquiry.

A spokesman for Portsmouth said on Wednesday that the club's chief executive and manager had "been asked to help police with their inquiries concerning a matter dating back to 2003".

"This was prior to the new owner taking control of the club at the beginning of 2006," he said.

"The club is fully supportive of Peter and Harry who are co-operating fully with City of London Police in this ongoing inquiry.

"Both are playing major roles in the continued success of Portsmouth Football Club."

Seven arrests

Rangers FC have confirmed that a player was arrested in a matter "totally unrelated" to the club.

"It would be inappropriate to comment further," Rangers said in a statement.

Last year, the Premier League asked former Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lord Stevens and his company, Quest, to carry out a separate inquiry into several hundred player transfer deals.

In June, Lord Stevens presented his final report, which highlighted concerns over 17 transfers and five Premier League clubs.

City of London Police have distanced their investigation from Lord Stevens' inquiry.

The latest arrests bring the total number of people detained in connection with the investigation to seven.

In September, a 28-year-old man was arrested in London and in May, a 61-year-old man was arrested in Manchester on suspicion of money laundering.

I dont see why it'd take him out of the running. Theyre stressing that Redknapp and Storrie are co-operating with police, not being caught by them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7125195.stm

I swear, every day that passes without the FA even approaching Mourinho to discuss what he might bring to the job makes me want the smack them all the more.

Edited by stokeriño

Mourinho out of England running

Jose Mourinho has ruled himself out of the running to become England coach.

The former Chelsea boss revealed he had held talks with the Football Association following Steve McClaren's dismissal last month.

But in a statement on his agent's website, Mourinho said: "After serious thought, I decided to exclude myself despite it being a fantastic position.

"I'm sure the FA will hire a great manager, one able to place the team back where it belongs."

Mourinho said he had had "useful discussions" with the FA's chief executive Brian Barwick and director of football Trevor Brooking.

He said: "We exchanged ideas to evaluate the entire situation about the England squad and set the goals in case of a real approach."

After revealing he had opted against putting himself forward as a candidate, Mourinho said: "I reiterate my respect for English football and, after three good years in England, I firmly believe that the England squad will soon be back to their usual great results."

Mourinho emerged as the strong favourite for the England post following McClaren's departure.

BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Mike Ingham said: "In many ways he would have been perfect.

"The job is about giving players an extra 10% and I think he would have done that.

"Mourinho ticked all the boxes bar one - I'm not sure how much of a diplomat he would have been."

The Portuguese coach's announcement on Monday will be a blow to FA officials, who were turned down by their first-choice candidate the last time they were recruiting an England manager.

On that occasion, Portugal manager Luis Felipe Scolari rejected the chance to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson and the FA instead turned to McClaren.

Italian coaches Fabio Capello and Marcello Lippi now head the list of contenders - although BBC Sport has established that neither man has been contacted by the FA.

Former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann has been tipped as an "ideal" replacement by Franz Beckenbauer, but has so far made no expression of interest in the job.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill continues to be linked with the job, despite publicly ruling himself out.

The FA is reported to want to name its new coach by 19 December, although England do not have a fixture until 6 February when they will play Switzerland in a friendly, and the next competitive fixture will be a World Cup qualifier next September.

Shit.