The England thread

That's from the BBC which is what makes me believe that Terry is being picked because of last week.

Capello added: "He has played very well in training and when I told him he would be captain he was very, very happy.

I like how you posted a quote and then ignored half of it. Surely the playing very well in training thing has something to do with Terry being chosen. If Terry had been really poor in training since his penalty miss I'd doubt Capello would have picked him. You also need to remember that Terry has been the regular England captain for a while now and is always named amongst others such as Ferdinand and Gerrard as a possible captain. Cappello's not just going to ignore him as a potential captain, he's going to give him a chance to reclaim the armband. Sure it will be a 'pick-me-up' for him but it didn't come across to me that that was a reason or even the main one for the selection, but a bonus of it.

I'd really like to see Gabby Agbonlahor and Ashley Young play a significant part in these friendlies, they're two exciting players who can really worry defenders with their pace and against sub-par sides like these that really we should be able to beat comfortably is the perfect chance to start phasing them into the team.

Sod the captaincy. The big issue here is Joe Lewis being called up as the third goalkeeper to replace Chris Kirkland. But why? Lewis never played for Norwich and he played last year for Peterborough and Morcambe.

Yet he's been picked over Green, Hart, Foster, Carson / Robinson (don't know who's in the squad with James) etc. I think Green needs to be given a chance, he's been very consistent over the past few years and hasn't made as many mistakes as Carson and Robinson.

Anyone else got thoughts on the goalkeeping situation?

My thought is that everyone is looking into it to much. Lewis is in the u21 squad no? So, he was ready to play and didn't have to pack his bags. Green, Carson, et al, are on holiday in the sun. Why call them in to be third keeper? Third keeper wont play, it's a 'oh shit back up of back up' time.

That's from the BBC which is what makes me believe that Terry is being picked because of last week.

Capello added: "He has played very well in training and when I told him he would be captain he was very, very happy.

I like how you posted a quote and then ignored half of it. Surely the playing very well in training thing has something to do with Terry being chosen. If Terry had been really poor in training since his penalty miss I'd doubt Capello would have picked him. You also need to remember that Terry has been the regular England captain for a while now and is always named amongst others such as Ferdinand and Gerrard as a possible captain.

I'm sure everyone has been playing very well in training, I doubt people turn up before an international and decide to phone it in for training. I doubt he chose Terry because of a good training session.

Also Terry was captain for a failed qualifying campaign which the media seems to ignore. Mclaren has taken a lot of criticism for that failure but surely some must also be aimed at the captain. He's responsible for inspiring them to go out and produce the goods just as much as Mclaren and in the Euro '08 qualifiers he failed big time because we're not at Euro '08. I personally thought Gerrard was a better choice of captain for England and I still think that but also now think after a very solid season Rio also deserves to be captain.

I didn't say the sole reason was a good training session, I said that it was probably part of it. Part of being a good captain is being able to lift yourself and your team-mates when something goes wrong and if Terry has been playing particularly well in training then it shows the right mentality for a captain coming off the CL defeat so soon.

All Capello is doing at the moment is trying out different things. Obviously a different captain is going to bring a different mentality to the team and he's trying to find the one he thinks will most suit the type of football he wants England to be playing. List the main candidates and Terry is amongst them, CL penalty miss or not. Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard are there too, but he's already seen them as captain, Gerrard against Switzerland and Rio against France.

Also Terry was captain for a failed qualifying campaign which the media seems to ignore. Mclaren has taken a lot of criticism for that failure but surely some must also be aimed at the captain. He's responsible for inspiring them to go out and produce the goods just as much as Mclaren and in the Euro '08 qualifiers he failed big time because we're not at Euro '08. I personally thought Gerrard was a better choice of captain for England and I still think that but also now think after a very solid season Rio also deserves to be captain.

No, he's not. You can't blame a captain for a team's performance. He's supposed to act as the figurehead and set an example, but he can't work miracles. I don't see how a few encouraging words from a captain are supposed to turn the performances of 10 players around.

I also don't think there's much of an argument that he wouldn't have been chosen for tomorrow's game if he didn't miss the penalty. Capello's stressed a few times that he's just experimenting, so after already trying Gerrard and Ferdinand, he won't try them again before he's had a chance to weigh up other possibilities. Terry is probably the only other solid choice for captain, so he's bound to test him in the next game he has a chance to. I honestly don't believe Capello waits until a week before his matches to decide what course of action he's gonna take, bearing in mind that he probably has a first eleven picked out ages in advanced.

Rio Ferdinand a better player than John Terry?

Well, I laughed :shifty:

Anyway, Rio Ferdinand is good, but I for one wasn't overly sure about his original apointment as captain. Admittedly, he was fine in the job, but I always thought that realistically, you couldn't look too far away from Terry and Gerrard.

And its not as if Ferdinand is as white as white in a comparison between his and Terry's attitude and misdemenours (sp?)

For large amounts of time, it was Terry, Lampard, Cech and Drogba alone carrying Chelsea's title challenge the season before, and little changed much this season (less Drogba, more Ballack and that), and he is just a better player. The only thing that Rio has over Terry is that he has a better ability on the ball, with regards to bringing the ball out of defence. Terry's concentration is better, his positioning is, he makes less mistakes (not saying Rio makes a lot, but more than Terry), and is a bigger threat at the other end when it comes to scoring goals.

I'm not saying he is miles better, but he offers a lot more than what Ferdinand does. Ferdinand has benifitted hugely from a solid partnership with Vidic, whilst Terry hasn't had the luck of having as regular a central defence partner. Chelsea's defence hasn't looked as solid, but thats more from general problems than Terry personally.

There pretty different centre backs anyways. Terry is more comparable to Vidic, they get stuck in and make stuff happen. Ferdinand then cleans up the mess and gets rid of it.

Either way when Terry was motivating the Chelsea team against Liverpool in the CL, it was Grants fault for not doing anything. When England didn't win it was Terry's fault for not motivating, and McLaren wasn't in the wrong.

If you don't like someone that much - and most people saying that Terry isn't worthy, and Grant should have gone in fairness are Man Utd fans, which is to be expected - but it's very easy just to twist and turn things to make the person you want to be, the victim. Terry deserves his chance at the captaincy, Capello said he was going to rotate it anyways so I don't see why not.

Too many people are up in arms over friendly match decisions against America and Trinidad & Tobago.

Ferdinand's been outstanding this season, and Terry's been his usual solid self but I've seen Carvalho bail him out on a few occassions. The same could probably be said for Ferdinand and Vidic, but it hasn't been as noticeable.

Like Ace said, they both bring different qualities to the table anyway. Personally I'd rather have Rio as captain, but that's just because I hate Terry, who'd easily be my first choice if he wasn't such a cunt.

Sod the captaincy. The big issue here is Joe Lewis being called up as the third goalkeeper to replace Chris Kirkland. But why? Lewis never played for Norwich and he played last year for Peterborough and Morcambe.

Yet he's been picked over Green, Hart, Foster, Carson / Robinson (don't know who's in the squad with James) etc. I think Green needs to be given a chance, he's been very consistent over the past few years and hasn't made as many mistakes as Carson and Robinson.

Anyone else got thoughts on the goalkeeping situation?

My thought is that everyone is looking into it to much. Lewis is in the u21 squad no? So, he was ready to play and didn't have to pack his bags. Green, Carson, et al, are on holiday in the sun. Why call them in to be third keeper? Third keeper wont play, it's a 'oh shit back up of back up' time.

From what i've been reading Lewis isn't really in the England 'squad' as it were, he's been called up as first choice under-21 goalkeeper and is set to feature in the under-21 fixture against WALES.

But because he's technically part of the whole England 'squad' (if you count the main team, the B team and under-21s) papers have made it seem like he's the 3rd choice goalkeeper, which kinda makes sense if you count the first choice being England no#1, second choice being the B team no#1 and 3rd being the under-21's no#1

It's just i've been confused because every report i've read has made no mention of under-21 in it, just focusses on LEAGUE 2 GOALIE ENGLAND NO 3!!!!!!

Yes, Hart and Lewis are both in the squad, along with I believe James.

This thread makes my brain bleed-Capello has already stated that he is trying different captains before making a final decision-he's already used Gerrard and Ferdinand and now it is Terry's turn. His CL final miss has absolutely no bearing on Capello's choice whatsoever, that seems clear to me.

And from what I've heard from Capello, he has chosen Lewis because he impressed during the U21's game he played for England a bit back. It is a surprising choice, but I'm not sure he'll play anyway, there's more chance of Hart playing.

Ferdinand has benifitted hugely from a solid partnership with Vidic, whilst Terry hasn't had the luck of having as regular a central defence partner.

Without Carvalho (who is the best defender at Chelsea by some distance) then Terry would look nowhere near as good.