The England thread

Why do England fans boo a friendly? Ireland drew with Norway. You don't see me complaining :shifty:

Edited by HoboObohHbob

Yeah, but Ireland aren't A NATION WHO DESERVES FOOTBALL GREATNESS AND EVERYTHING LESS IS TREASON.

Plus, you know, where England are poor, they're really poor. Poor in a way that makes the amount of money you spent on tickets to attend the match uncomfortably apparent

Edited by stokeriño

I went to the Norn Iron - Scotland game with a few friends from back home.

Started with a few pints in the city centre and then off to the stadium. Hampden seems kind of small. The tv cameras make it look bigger than it actually is. Was behind the N.I. goal in the first half so didn't see the penalty very well, although I do think it was a sending off for Ryan McGivern who had a fine debut up to that point.

Other than that, there wasn't much else to say about the game. Scotland could have stolen it, while everyone on our team had good games. Chris Brunt is a lazy, lazy bastard but otherwise... it was cool.

• 11 months later...

Squad's just been announced for tonight's friendly against Holland:

1850: England team to face Holland
Robert Green; Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole; David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Ashley Young; Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

From the BBC.

Stole 9 to 5's E/W bet on Terry to score, we only score from set pieces it seems so you'd expect someone like that to get on one. Probably end up being Ferdinand mine.

Probably actually end up being a bore draw 0-0 with nothing of interest. Hopefully no injuries ahead of the Premiership though.

Goddamn it, was going to bet Kuyt as well but decided on Terry E/W instead! I usually do bet him when he's playing (Liverpool or Holland), but didn't want to put 2 first goalscorers on opposite teams. Oh well, Terry can still score and get me a few quid anyway.

I won't be able to see the rest of the game, but just remember as bad as it may or may not get for England, this is just a friendly and they can't possibly fuck up as badly as Scotland. :P

Squad's just been announced for tonight's friendly against Holland:

1850: England team to face Holland

Robert Green; Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole; David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Ashley Young; Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

From the BBC.

Haha, that's the same team that's playing tonight, who would of though they where all playing 150 years ago :shifty:

On to the game, not the worst England performance I've ever seen, but we've giften them the lead with 2 sloppy mistakes and made a couple more which could have been punished.

Shocking. England were pretty much the better time for most of that half, but then half the team decided they didn't give a shit and wanted to piss about. Beckham has been by far the best England player on the pitch, but I've got no doubt he'll be subbed off in the second half, rather than actually being given a full game for once. Heskey and Young have both been piss poor, hopefully we see Defoe straight away for Heskey in the second half.

I honestly don't think Heskey has been that bad, the problem is when we're not lumping it way ahead of him, we're trying to play him through balls against pacy defenders which he's never going to win.

When the ball's played onto Heskey's head he's brought it down for Rooney and he's held the ball up extremely well. He's made some really nice building up play with Beckham/Rooney aswell.

Edited by Version Dan

Good.

Won't be a starter at the World Cup and we know exactly what he's capable of. I know you're president of his fanclub and everything but try and look at the bigger picture.

We know what almost every player in the entire squad is capable of. If Beckham is playing as good as any player in the squad, then he deserves to be playing, it's that simple. And hopefully he continues to prove people wrong and actually makes the World Cup next year, because if he continues the way he's going, he'll certainly deserve to be there just as much as any of the other players in the position he plays in.

Brilliant goal from Defoe.

• 3 weeks later...
England coach Fabio Capello has recalled Spurs pair Peter Crouch and Aaron Lennon for the Slovenia friendly and World Cup qualifier versus Croatia.

The duo were omitted from the squad that recently drew with Holland, but return after some fine club displays.

United goalkeeper Ben Foster and defender Wes Brown are also recalled, while Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard returns after injury.

But there is no place in the squad for Manchester United striker Michael Owen.

The former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Newcastle striker, who last played for England in March 2008, has started just once for United this season.

Foster returns in place of Portsmouth's David James, who has bone bruising, while United defender Rio Ferdinand is also not yet fit enough to return as he recovers from a thigh injury.

Arsenal winger Theo Walcott is also unavailable again as he has not played yet this season because of a back injury, meaning Lennon, Shaun Wright-Phillips, James Milner, David Beckham and Ashley Young provide the wing options.

England play Slovenia at Wembley at 1730 BST on Saturday, 5 September ahead of the key qualifier against Croatia at the same venue at 2000 BST on Wednesday, 9 September.

Victory for Capello's men in the latter will confirm their presence at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

England squad for 5 September friendly against Slovenia and the 9 September World Cup qualifier against Croatia:

Goalkeepers: Foster (Manchester United), Green (West Ham), Robinson (Blackburn)

Defenders: Johnson (Liverpool), Brown (Manchester United), Upson (West Ham), Terry (Chelsea, capt), Lescott (Manchester City), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Lennon (Tottenham), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Barry (Manchester City), Lampard (Chelsea), Carrick (Manchester United), Gerrard (Liverpool), A Young (Aston Villa), Milner (Aston Villa)

Strikers: Rooney (Manchester United), Heskey (Aston Villa), Defoe (Tottenham), C Cole (West Ham), Crouch (Tottenham).

Sauce: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8229098.stm