The England thread

Hmm, think we have enough in that to see off both teams.

Green

Johnson Terry Lescott Cole

Lennon Lampard Gerrard Young

Rooney Crouch

possibly. I'd like Defoe to start but expect the little-and-large combination up front with Defoe coming on late against tired legs.

Not a fan of the goalkeeper options but Green is the best of them (then again I think I'm the fifth best England keeper so hopefully not too many injuries).

Green

Rooney Crouch

possibly. I'd like Defoe to start but expect the little-and-large combination up front with Defoe coming on late against tired legs.

Not a fan of the goalkeeper options but Green is the best of them (then again I think I'm the fifth best England keeper so hopefully not too many injuries).

Can't see Crouch starting with Rooney, Either Cole or Defo.

Edit: Against Croatia that is, Heskey starts today.

& Lol @ Scotland, they're going to win the World Cup after beating those giants of World Football at home..Macedonia.

And yes, I'm fully aware we once drew/lost to Macedonia, but Scotland to me are like Newcastle, massive, loud support but one small win means they're the best team in the world, only for it to all go down the pan a week later.

Edited by Version Dan
  • Like 1

& Lol @ Scotland, they're going to win the World Cup after beating those giants of World Football at home..Macedonia.

And yes, I'm fully aware we once drew/lost to Macedonia, but Scotland to me are like Newcastle, massive, loud support but one small win means they're the best team in the world, only for it to all go down the pan a week later.

I think all Scots are pretty aware we're not gonna win the World Cup. :rolleyes: We'll be lucky if we get there at all.

Unlike England who actually do think they're gonna win it every time around, only for them to cock it up right on cue every 4 years.

I think all Scots are pretty aware we're not gonna win the World Cup. :rolleyes: We'll be lucky if we get there at all.

Unlike England who actually do think they're gonna win it every time around, only for them to cock it up right on cue every 4 years.

Yeah...I haven't come across anyone that thinks we're going to qualify for the World Cup. Never mind win it. :rolleyes:

Green

Rooney Crouch

Can't see Crouch starting with Rooney, Either Cole or Defo.

That sounds a lot more like England to me.

• Like 1

It was most definitely a penalty. Everyone knows Rooney and the England team as a whole don't dive.

It wasn't a dive. It was just a retarded decision from the referee. Forget just sorting out the divers, sort out these fucking appalling officials.

Decent game. I'd still like to see Defoe/Rooney being paired together more, because I think there's great potential there. SWP starting continues to annoy me though.

It was most definitely a penalty. Everyone knows Rooney and the England team as a whole don't dive.

It wasn't a dive. It was just a retarded decision from the referee. Forget just sorting out the divers, sort out these fucking appalling officials.

Decent game. I'd still like to see Defoe/Rooney being paired together more, because I think there's great potential there. SWP starting continues to annoy me though.

It wasn't so much an obvious dive as it was just trying to get the penalty when he knew he wasn't getting to the ball. If anything Rooney had a fistful of the other guy's shirt. It's hard to believe that Wayne Rooney would be muscled to the ground by a lanky Slovenian defender, so what the ref gave that for I've no idea.

It defnitely wasn't a penalty, but Rooney didn't dive. It was a free out if anything. I'll be supporting England on wednesday, the less points 2nd place teams earn the better. It'd be horrible if we finished 2nd and got nothing.

As far as England winning the World Cup, I hope not. You may not realise this as you support them. But seeing England get knocked out and the pundits and media's reactions afterwards is the funniest thing in the 4 years. Be it blaming Ronaldo, Ericcson's squad selection or just genrally acting like spoiled children, it's hilarious. The only thing that comes close is Murray losing at Wimbledon, but that's not the quite the same.

Edited by The Cool One
  • Like 1

I have to say, the amateurish nature of Bilic's mind-games retreat is highly amusing.

Bilic: "England are missing some Englishness, some of the things that have always made England teams difficult to defend against and play against."

Capello: "Cheers, mate. That's my motivational speech for the game done and dusted then."

Bilic: "No, see...I meant it as a compliment."

Oh dear.

Looking forward to tonight, which still feels a bit odd for an England game.

England's line up for tonight: Green; Johnson, Upson, Terry, Cole; Lennon, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard; Rooney, Heskey.

Subs: Foster, Brown, Bridge, Milner, Defoe, Beckham, Crouch.

I'm glad to see Lennon get the starting spot, as he clearly deserves it over SWP, Young, and Milner. The wingers have been disappointing for England, bar Lennon, although Beckham has played alright too. Green needs to play with the same composure he's had for West Ham, and Johnson needs to make sure he doesn't get caught up too far and burnt. I know Defoe's played so well - both for the Spurs and England - but I like Heskey wearing the back line down and lettign Defoe come on as the super sub. It's worked wonders so far, so keep it up, I guess.

I like England to win tonight, as most of you do too, I imagine. The midfield has to keep working well together - although that doesn't happen a lot - and you Brits needs a steady performance from Green and Johnson. If that happens, coast to victory, gentlemen.

and Johnson needs to make sure he doesn't get caught up too far and burnt.

I genuinely don't understand this attitude towards Johnson. People spend all week hoping he can 'play like wot he's done for Liverpool', then when he does - by surging forward to add an extra man to the attack - he gets slaughtered for leaving space in behind him. What do you expect!? You can't have it both ways; you either want an attacking full back that bombs forward, or you have one that keeps things a bit tighter defensively but doesn't go forward as much, and when he does it's far more conservative than players like Johnson.

When Johnson goes forward it shouldn't be his responsibility to fill the space left in behind him - it should be covered by other players. For starters the player in front of should be aware of a gap should the other team counter, and that's not going to happen with Lennon, SWP or Walcott. Milner would and so would Beckham (although to a lesser extent) because they're the only two right midfielders with any genuine semblance of tactical acumen about them. If not the player in front of him then one of the two central midfielders need to come across and cover, whilst the other then fills in the centre of midfield. Barry could do this, and Hargreaves would be perfect if he wasn't broken, but Lampard doesn't seem to want to, which is frustrating because he's clever enough to know it's necessary but is more concerned with getting forward. Finally, failing these, then the right centre-back should shift across, but Terry is woefully exposed when defending out wide so doesn't do it. That's not a slur on him by any means, a lot of defenders are poor when dragged out wide, in which case responsibility to cover lies with either a central midfielder or the right midfielder, but neither of them pick it up either so we're left with a massive gap on the right.

Isn't the whole problem that BOTH full backs add an extra man to the attack, so once we're left on the counter we end up having two people defending the entire backline?

I'm sure both Wayne Bridge and Ashley Cole used to move to left winger position once we have the ball in the opposition's half.

The difference with Cole is that, when he goes forward, he's got someone in front of him that is willing to track back. Against Slovenia it was Gerrard and then Milner, but before that it's been the likes of Joe Cole and Downing. If Johnson got the same sort of protection then there'd be no problem.

Edited by therockbox