The England thread

Ah, it's always fun to watch the England backlash. Reading around today, the amount of comments saying we're shite, we had a piss easy group, we'll choke as soon as we meet a decent team etc. If there's one thing more tedious than the media suggesting we're the best team on the planet, it's everyone else sniping at England and England fans.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
England squad for World Cup qualifiers against Ukraine and Belarus: Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Blackburn), Robert Green (West Ham), David James (Portsmouth)

Defenders: Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Manchester City), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Matthew Upson (West Ham)

Midfielders: James Milner (Aston Villa), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham);

Strikers: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Carlton Cole (West Ham), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

There's our squad for next week, I think Darren Bent is unlucky not to get in after all these goals. I'm sick of Heskey but he wasn't gonna be left out. We've already qualified so he sould change it round a bit, I'd like to see Carlton Cole & James Milner get starts but I highly doubt it'll happen.

So England v Ukraine will only be available via live web stream, costing anything from 4.99 to 11.99 depending on when you order it.

What a crock of shit!

I'm not sure what would satisfy the general populous at this point, back on the BBC? I think England could play in someones back yard and they'd still complain that Rooney was spitting on the flower bed.

World Cup on current form:

Rooney.

Defoe as the little fella.

Crouch as the big "option" fella.

Bent as the fast fella.

Agbonlahor as the other fella.

When Heskey comes on for Vill he ruins their shape.

And yet, when he's used properly as he has been by Capello, he allows others to shine. Hmmm.

Unless he's injured, or Peter Crouch suddenly puts on about 3 stone of muscle and morphs into a completely different player, Heskey will be going to the World Cup. Why people can't understand this I don't know.

Seriously, what does Darren Bent have to do to get a look in? Surely you could bump Carlton Cole for him. I assume Defoe's not there so as not to risk his broken hand/fingers and would be there if he was fit.

Why bump Cole? I'm really glad he's in the squad, he deserves it. He's on form, scoring goals and is becoming a very good footballer. He is, for me, a better 'big' striker than Peter Crouch, and I do rate Crouchy. I can't see why Heskey is still being picked when he isn't even first choice for his club, he isn't picking Owen. I stuck up for Heskey for a while but wasn't impressed in the last couple of England games tbh.

Except that's a load of bollocks. You really think Fabio Capello is the type of manager to keep an 'unimpressive' player in the squad, let alone first eleven? Heskey isn't in the set-up to be flashy or get on the Match of the Day highlights, he's there to bully entire defences to allow Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard (and hopefully Cole) to shine. If we're going to win the World Cup they're going to win it, and they have a greater chance of doing so with Heskey ahead of them.

Except that's a load of bollocks. You really think Fabio Capello is the type of manager to keep an 'unimpressive' player in the squad, let alone first eleven? Heskey isn't in the set-up to be flashy or get on the Match of the Day highlights, he's there to bully entire defences to allow Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard (and hopefully Cole) to shine. If we're going to win the World Cup they're going to win it, and they have a greater chance of doing so with Heskey ahead of them.

Can't Carlton Cole replace Heskey in that role though?

Can't Carlton Cole replace Heskey in that role though?

I don't think so. I've never seen Cole dominate an entire back line in the way that Heskey has under Capello. Cole's a good option to have though, especially the player that seems to be developing under Zola.

Joe Hart from Birmingham, and Bolton's Gary Cahill, have been called up to the England squad to replace Paul Robinson and Joleon Lescott, who are both injured. I'm sure neither will get a game, but it'd be good if they did get a taste of international action.