The England thread

Well, from what I saw, I thought that Beckham was actually the best midfielder Engalnd had out there against the Dutch. Wright-Phillps didn't perform to expectations, maybe it was down to nerves, maybe it was because he was played out of position, but the fact is, he didn't perforn.

For once, Lampard looked tired. He didn't make any noticeable contribution and was very subdued.

So, besides Stevie Gerrard, Beckham was one of the few midfielders England had that was actually productive, so I think he deserves some credit.

Anyway, it's only a friendly. And we knoe how seriously Sven takes friendlies.

Gerrard has shown spots of his great talent, Brown and Carragher did well at the back but they wont be there for long, King, Ferdinand, Campbell and Terry are all above in the rankings in centre defence

James in goal? He's been consistently making blunders for years and really doesn't bring what you need a keeper to be to the England set-up.

Look at it, we play a highly negative style of play with a solid back four, the organisation of defences by James won't help. Especially once he throws the game away in one of his infamous screw ups.

James in goal? He's been consistently making blunders for years and really doesn't bring what you need a keeper to be to the England set-up.

Look at it, we play a highly negative style of play with a solid back four, the organisation of defences by James won't help. Especially once he throws the game away in one of his infamous screw ups.

To be fair, we lack world-class goalkeepers in all aspects anyway, so I don't see how James is any worse than Robinson or anyone else. Besides, James is only a liability if he's under pressure. Robinson could have let in a few goals against the Dutch. It's only because they never piled the pressure on us that we drew.

There's pressure simply playing for England. If he can't handle pressure then he shouldn't be in the England squad.

He plays in the Premiership for Man City, yet he handles the pressure well enough. It's playing under Sven - he does alright under Kevin Keegan, and I still remember the time he was England manager. Sven makes him and everyone else fuck up.

Something I would genuinely like to know; other than against Austria, how many mistakes has James made for England?

His form with Man City might have something to do with having a manager that clearly believes in him and will stick by him if he has a wobble.

Edited by supergrass

• 1 month later...
Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Released for sale tomorrow, heres a picture of it, what do you guys think? I like it, although its pretty much just a tweaking of the newer away one (which although looks good, is made from the most flimsy material ever). I probably won't buy it straight away, but I might do in the near future due to patriotic reasons.

EDIT: I'd like to see someone like Nike start making our kits though, Umbro's are usually pretty boring, I suppose Umbro are british though...

post-38-1111589087_thumb.jpg

post-38-1111589087_thumb.jpg

Edited by muddatrucker