The England thread

just replying to the topic.. you allready won anything :P

As you can see there are those of you who want beckham playing and those of you who don't, so as you can see sven's opinions aren't that awful. A few of you agree with them. You can't please Greeks and Trojans (i have no idea if this saying is a worldwide saying but i translated it anyway :P).

IMO lampard totally deserves a place in the squad. Having gerrard and beckham as centre midfielders is much worse than lampard and gerrard. Afterall, as someone said, beckham's most remarkable quality (besides free kicks) is his ability to cross from behind. He would be quite wasted in the midfield, as he is in Real Madrid. If it weren't for the merchandise factor he wouldn't even play there.

I think i agree with the monkey molester's opinion in the selection of the squad, though i must admit i'm not a fan of downing, but you all seem to like it so... enjoy.

P.S. just a question... who takes free kicks in the english team?

The team should be this, barring any injuries:

GK: Robinson

RB: Neville (bloody well isn't anyone else that I can think of)

LB: Cole

CB: Campbell

CB: Ferdinand

RM: Wright-Phillips

LM: Downing

CM: Gerrard

CM: Lampard

ST: Owen

ST: Rooney

The team should be this, barring any injuries:

GK: Robinson

RB: Neville (bloody well isn't anyone else that I can think of)

LB: Cole

CB: Campbell

CB: Ferdinand

RM: Wright-Phillips

LM: Downing

CM: Gerrard

CM: Lampard

ST: Owen

ST: Rooney

Agreed. I'd also give the Captains Armband to Gerrard rather than Owen in Beckhams absence. Gerrard has the capability to do what Beckham used to, and inspire a team of world class players to actually perform at a world class level.

Ferdinand and Campbell.

Both have pace, which Terry has none of, and both are brilliant defenders. Terry, Campbell and Ferdinand are all on the same level, but Terry's lack of pace lets him down slightly.

King, while he will be a great player, seems to have dropped a level since his England match. He's suffering Michael Ricketts syndrome.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Rio and Campbell, two of the most solid centre backs in the world, eventually Sol will retire and he'll have to be replaced, but by that time Ledley King will be in his prime and make an ideal replacement.

Theres nothing wrong with Terry, theres just not enough room for him, ideal backup if necessary, although I would of kept Ledley in his place when he had to cover him (at france), but some people would complain that Terry never lost his place.

You got that right, Terry has one of the best footballing minds you can find.

What about Zat Knight for centre back? :shifty:

(Weirdly enough, he was considered when Ledley King was as well, and was unlucky to not get called up, as Sven likes him. I also think he'd get more exposure for a better side).

I think Zat Knight is decent, but don't see him ever getting a call up. Unless he could play as a right-back, then Neville would have some competition. I'm sick of hearing about Glen Johnson... When was the last time he started an important game?

By looking at the names I listed, the incredibly biased names, I've realised Spurs have the best young English players about. Now to win something. Preferably not the League Cup.

The way I see it for friendlys, you should keep the GK, centre backs and centre midfielders (the spine) as starters and then tinker with the rest. Right now, Terry/Ferdinand is probably the best bet for the backline - but why not try out new players either side of them?

Edited by fineintent