The England thread

Didn't think it was worth making a new topic really seen as this has turned into a "Against Racism in Football/Sport" thread, so...

YORKE CLAIMS RACIAL ABUSE

Birmingham striker Dwight Yorke has claimed he was the subject of racist taunts during his side's draw at Blackburn on Sunday.

The former Rovers striker informed Blues boss Steve Bruce that he was abused by two home supporters as he warmed up before coming on as a late substitute.

Yorke was roundly booed by fans as he warmed up and the booing reached a crescendo when he replaced Darren Anderton as substitute on 74 minutes.

yorke.jpg

The claim comes on the back of the racist storm which erupted during England's defeat to Spain in midweek and puts football in the headlines for the wrong reasons.

"They racially abused him. Dwight is bitterly upset and angry," said Bruce.

"It was something similar to the racist taunts the English players had and we just don't want to see it.

"Apparently it is monkey taunts and that is sick. It's all right him getting a bit of stick but when it comes to what we've just seen in midweek, everybody is sickened by it.

"I will sit down with Dwight in the morning and go through the whole situation.

"If we feel there is a point to answer then we will do it."

Rovers issued a statement revealing they removed a fan from the ground for allegedly making a gesture towards Yorke.

"We can confirm that a spectator was ejected for making what we understand to be a hand gesture towards Dwight Yorke while he was warming up," read the statement.

"We will fully investigate the matter tomorrow as part of a full debrief with police and stewards and we will study all available CCTV footage."

This is getting out of hand. First there's nothing for ages, then twice in one week...

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I'd be willing to assume it wasn't racial probably just boos and every black player would be wary of any type of booing this week, its probably just the fact that its Dwight Yorke, and he's ex-blackburn and shite.

Answering the guy who said only a few cases happened in the euro 2004, that's not very accurate (some pubs in Algarve were even closed in the days England played to prevent further damage, after the first incidents.)...anyway, i only brought that up so you would remember there are troublemakers everywhere, also in England.

I'd be willing to assume it wasn't racial probably just boos and every black player would be wary of any type of booing this week, its probably just the fact that its Dwight Yorke, and he's ex-blackburn and shite.

Yeah, I thought the same thing actually, but I didn't watch the match or anything so I can't comment if there was any monkey chants or whatever. It probably is the ex-Blackburn thing, but I dunno.

Real_chants.jpg

So, Roma had to play behind closed doors because of one person throwing something at Anders Frisk, but a large majority of Madrid fans can hurl racist abuse and nothing is done about it?

I would say kick Madrid out, but they're a fallen giant, and I'd rather see them get beaten like bitches, if only Shelbourne were still here to do it.

It is pretty pathetic. The evidence is there for all to see, but what has been done; fuck all is what.

I would like to see Real kicked out of the CL, or if they get knocked out, how about they get points deducted from them in La Liga. Something drastic needs to be done to make a point. It'll make the racists realise "shit, we're fucking up our team by doing this, so at least they'll stop doing it at matches. Quite frankly, I don't think there is anything that can be done about them being racist in general though.

• 1 month later...

Eriksson ploy to keep Beckham in

Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips

Wright-Phillips has been in superb form this season

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson might play Shaun Wright-Phillips on the left flank against Holland next month - meaning David Beckham's place is safe.

Wright-Phillips was expected to replace Beckham on the right-hand side of midfield in the friendly at Villa Park.

But Eriksson said: "It's not his best position but I'm sure Shaun could also play on the left. Even if, for Shaun, it's better to be on the right.

"The fact is David is our captain and he will go on being our captain."

Eriksson knows he also has the option of switching Beckham to a central role to accommodate Wright-Phillips, who has been in sparkling form for Manchester City this season, on the right.

"David now for one and a half years has played central midfield for Real Madrid so of course it's possible he could do that maybe for the national team as well," said Eriksson.

I will pick David and he will probably play from the beginning

England coach

Sven-Goran Eriksson

"That depends on the way we want to play."

The Swede said he had not been swayed by recent media criticism of Beckham's displays.

"I don't agree with it or understand it," he told BBC Five Live.

"He is playing regular football for Real Madrid which is not that bad, so I will pick him and he will probably play from the beginning."

England are likely to start with an experienced line-up against the Dutch as Eriksson steps up his preparations for World Cup qualifiers against Northern Ireland and Azerbaijan in March.

But Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing is likely to be handed a first senior cap against the Dutch.

Downing has been touted as the long-term solution to England's problem on the left side of midfield.

"He's very interesting and he's doing very well and playing better and better," Eriksson said.

"It's good to talk abut players like Wright-Phillips and Stewart Downing.

"They are two young boys, both very talented and playing very good football at this moment, very consistent.

"I don't know who's going to start. First I will pick the squad, 22 players or maybe 23, and I will see if they are tired or not.

"But for sure I will try to start with the best team because it's the only chance we have to play together before the qualification games in March."

Never seen Wright-Phillips play on the left, so I don't know if it works, but its a friendly, why not give him a chance on the right and give Beckham some bench time?

I do believe that Beckham gets alot of stick sometimes, even when its not necessary, the person to blame here is Sven, hes too fucking boring, we need a new manager, someone English, someone called Gary Lineker.

The same thing happened with Shearer a few years ago, he was captain, with a good reputation but he was playing shit.  But he kept his place and eventually became good.

Wright-Phillips shouldn't play on the left because he isn't a left winger, simple as.

I'm going to the England/Holland game too, btw.

I always debate the whole "Shearer played shit" comment. At the time when the media blasted him, the England team in general were playing crap. How was Shearer meant to score when he had no crosses to attack, no balls to strike, or anything? He's not the sort of striker who works for the ball (although he does set up quite a few goals), but England weren't playing to his strengths, and thats why they were struggling.

I still don't see why people think it's either Wright Phillips or Beckham in the England starting 11. They could easily play in the same team

Move Beckham from the right into the middle and place SWP on the right wing.

However, that means that either Gerrard and Lampard will be sacrifieed and in my opinion, it's far more important that SWP starts an England match than Frank Lampard. It's not that I don't rate Lampard, I do...but I just feel that he's the man we need to take out if we're ever going to see SWP start a game.

Downing - Gerrard - Beckham - SWP

That's what our midfield should be. C'mon Eriksson, switch on...

The team should be this, barring any injuries:

GK: Robinson

RB: Neville (bloody well isn't anyone else that I can think of)

LB: Cole

CB: Campbell

CB: Ferdinand

RM: Wright-Phillips

LM: Downing

CM: Gerrard

CM: Lampard

ST: Owen

ST: Rooney

If that isn't the team that's picked, I'll be pissed. The only reason Beckham starts is because of the merchandise factor. While he is a very good player at times, Wright-Phillips has been so consistant and should be in the team.

Beckham will play no matter how shit he plays because the FA are probably presurising Eriksson to play him so they can make some money.

For this game at least I'd definitely agree that Beckham should be dropped for Wright-Phillips to get 90 minutes under his belt. I think he suits the style of play of England better as well.

Beckham may be the best crosser of the ball in the world, but when you've got Owen and Rooney up front (not the tallest men out there), what use is Beckham then? He's still a good midfielder, and even if Sven does pick him all the time I don't think he should come out and more-or-less state Beckham will never be dropped as he's been doing. Surely genuine competition for places is a good thing. We don't really seem to have that, everybody knows the team.

As to moving Beckham into the middle - I'm not a fan. He's a good crosser of the ball which makes him better suited to the wing, he doesn't have to beat the defender to get a ball in. Put him in the middle and I'm affraid he can't compare with Lampard or Gerrard at the moment.

Edited by supergrass