The England thread

Didnt Le Tiss just fail to turn up for an England training session once ?

England had a great chance to win the World Cup in 1998 But it was Hoddles lack of nuts to let Gazza just run wild on any defence in the world which didnt give us a chance , not mentioning Mr David "That Argy pushed me first" Beckham

That penalty spot was poor, it was like a mound of sand, netherless we cant change what happened back then we can only hope for the future and with Bckham on the right and Wright Phillips on the left it could be bright

I didn't mean to imply England do practice now. Quite clearly we don't...though obviously our loss to Portugal was the fault of the bad penalty spot. That or just not taking them in training, one of the two.

I don't get that. Both teams used the same penalty spot, Beckham blaming the spot is for the same reason Hoddle blamed Beckham - ultimately both won't accept we weren't good enough to win, and so look for an easy excuse.

Exactly, if don't practice then you can get into sudden death, and all of a sudden you have a bunch of defenders or perhaps midfielders stepping up to take a penalty when they haven't done it in months, or longer. As if the pressure wasn't enough as it is. Surely they'd benefit from a bit of practice once in a while.

In the past we have consistantly been beaten on penalties by teams that practice them, where as we don't.

Edited by supergrass

Going back to England practicing penalty kicks. I don't think it would make that much difference.

I think all of our first five penalty takers take penalties for their club so they would be practicing penalties when their with their club as well.

But I think even like 5 minutes at the end of training would be better than nothing. It's like saying Beckham takes freekicks for Madrid so doesn't need to practise them at training. But I bet he still does, it's hard to tell these days though.

Going back to England practicing penalty kicks. I don't think it would make that much difference.

I think all of our first five penalty takers take penalties for their club so they would be practicing penalties when their with their club as well.

But I think even like 5 minutes at the end of training would be better than nothing. It's like saying Beckham takes freekicks for Madrid so doesn't need to practise them at training. But I bet he still does, it's hard to tell these days though.

Yeah, he still does. He spends a lot of time practicing free kicks in EVERY real madrid training session. He usually does it before the practice begin and sometimes after, in those final 5 minutes where everyone's practicing penalty kicks. They also have free kick practice for all during the training session itself, but beckham usually gets room for a little more.

Point COMPLETELY missed.

We know Beckham practises free-kicks; what he meant was saying that players practice taking penalties at the club teams doesn't mean that they don't need to practice taking them with England.

Yeah, he still does. He spends a lot of time practicing free kicks in EVERY real madrid training session. He usually does it before the practice begin and sometimes after, in those final 5 minutes where everyone's practicing penalty kicks. They also have free kick practice for all during the training session itself, but beckham usually gets room for a little more.

FINALLY somebody has noticed how good Hibbert is.

Took your fucking time :P.

btw, even thoguh I always want to see England play their best team, I think this is the time to do exactly what Spears says.

Although for real games I want to see David James back in goal. He organises defences far better than any other English Goalkeepers. As well as this, England have the best set of defenders in the world. Gary Neville is the BEST right back in the world. Cole in one of the best, Campbell and Rio are the best. It's just the best.

James in goal? He's been consistently making blunders for years and really doesn't bring what you need a keeper to be to the England set-up.

Look at it, we play a highly negative style of play with a solid back four, the organisation of defences by James won't help. Especially once he throws the game away in one of his infamous screw ups.